Motorcycle HID Kit - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Motorcycle HID Kit

Re: Motorcycle HID Kit

4300K is all you want.......anything after that your loosing light!

Quote Originally Posted by rodriguez View Post
    What is the legal Hid brightness limit in toronto? 8000k? ....maybe 25000k lol?

Quote Originally Posted by GP_RZ View Post
    4300K is all you want.......anything after that your loosing light!
    what do you mean by "losing light"?

If the colour temperature of the bulbs is greater than about 4500 K, the total apparent brightness will be less than one in the 4300 - 4500 K range.

Does anyone know where this local shop that sells these kits for $100? Johnnyp if your reading can you jog your memory, I pm'd you!
    Having a hard time getting the actual name of the shop from my freind, I dont think even he knows its name just where it is....Its just your average small ricer parts shop, they list the kits for like $150 + + + but my freind is a regular customer so he just got a complete HI/low H7 kit for $100 cash that he installed on his Civic...The bulbs that came in his kit have a reflector built into the kit, and its specific for cars/bikes that dont have projectors...

If I ever get shops info, I will post it

Ok Thanks dude! so they acually make a h7 bulb thats high/low? I know they make a h4 high/low bulb .....anyways thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Having a hard time getting the actual name of the shop from my freind, I dont think even he knows its name just where it is....Its just your average small ricer parts shop, they list the kits for like $150 + + + but my freind is a regular customer so he just got a complete HI/low H7 kit for $100 cash that he installed on his Civic...The bulbs that came in his kit have a reflector built into the kit, and its specific for cars/bikes that dont have projectors...

If I ever get shops info, I will post it

Ok Thanks dude! so they acually make a h7 bulb thats high/low? I know they make a h4 high/low bulb .....anyways thanks
    Im pretty sure it was H7, I'll have to confirm that. It was for a newer style civic hatch which I assuemed use H7 but I really dont know much about cars..... I am sure it was Hi/low though...

H7 is inherently a single-"filament" bulb that goes in a single-function reflector. H4 is a high/low bulb.

Re: HIR solution

Hi Vlad,

Have you used these bulbs? Will they handle the vibration in a bike all right?

..Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    This is one alternative to stock bulbs that does make a difference, does not require any ballasts or rewiring, retains the stock beam and does not cost an arm and a leg:

Sold here: http://www.finemotoring.com

Some other links for those who want to learn more about headlights:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=954736
    http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-filament-bulbs.htm
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Re: HIR solution

Quote Originally Posted by V-Tom View Post
    Hi Vlad,

Have you used these bulbs? Will they handle the vibration in a bike all right?

..Tom
    They have stayed alive in my Bandit so far (almost the entire season), and we know Bandit is a buzzy bugger . In hindsight, I should have installed 9011-HIR1 in low beam as well. Those bug-eye reflectors need all the light they can get (about the only thing on the Bandit I'm unhappy with).
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Argi

Hey, Vlad i cannot seem to cross-reference this anywhere, would the 9011-HIR1 work on a 1998 CBR 900? Since both bulbs are on at all times (dual filament i think is the technical term) the OEM bulb only has the following decription 12V 45/45W for both high and low beam bulbs (off the ronayers.com fishe), while the 9011-HIR1 has the following 65W@12.8V and the 9012-HIR1 has 55W@12.8V, im not too sure what they mean, but would this mean that both 9011 and 9012 will work or only 9012 will be the only one that works on the cbr? And as far as you using the 9011 on both high & low beam, wouldn't that project more heat then OEM at all time of use (either only low beam or when both are on at high beam)? After further research, the
    bulbs the cbr uses are H4's.

Thanks, Argi
    Last edited by Argi; 10-24-2008 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Argi View Post
    Hey, Vlad i cannot seem to cross-reference this anywhere, would the 9011-HIR1 work on a 1998 CBR 900?
    Short answer: No.

Long answer: HIRs are single filament bulbs, designed to replace 9006/9005 halogen bulbs as per this table. I wouldn't say that using HIRs to replace dual filament (high+low) halogen bulbs is impossible, but it's certainly not worth the trouble. Even if you somehow manage to stick them in the light housing the beam would probably be way off and practically useless.

HIR1/9011 (65W) that is designed for high beam can be used as a replacement for low beam halogen (9006 - 55W) because it's base is slightly narrower than that of HIR2/9012. The 10W (~20%) difference should not cause any damage or overheating and the additional power draw is also negligible.

Just like HIR1, 9005 (high beam, 65W) halogen bulbs can be used to replace 9006 (low beam, 55W) ones. You just need to file the tabs on 9005 so it can fit into the 9006 seat. I've been using high beam bulbs in Banmdit's low beam housing since I got it with no issues. As a spare, I carry a modded high beam bulb that will fit in any of the two seats, so it can replace either.

In your case I would probably go with high quality halogen bulb(s). Forget those that have any tint on it and don't buy much higher than stock wattage bulbs. 60/55W is probably OK, 100/80W - no way.

There's one other thing that's usually overlooked when upgrading stock lights - wiring harness. Depending on the thickness/length of the wires you can have significant losses that cannot be compensated for with the high output bulb. Bandit's headlight wiring is laughably thin, for example, and great improvements can be achieved by replacing it with thicker gauge wiring and a relay.

Of course, if your bike is older than a few years make sure the reflector and lens are clean. Dirty/fogged/dusted light housing can considerably reduce light output.
    Last edited by Vlad; 10-24-2008 at 11:08 PM.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

I'm liking the idea of going to HID lamps due to the lower wattage 35w vs 55w+ for the standard halogens then I have a little more room for adding more electrical accessories, aux lights etc. Only problem is these threads... 50% say they are great 50% say noo don't blind people...

Can't make up my mind...

(those HIR's won't fit mine)

Argi

Thanks for the detailed reply Vlad, it answered all the question i had on the issue. I don't want to spend a lot $$ trying to retrofit mine (HID's), hence, stock it is for next season.

Thanks, Argi

Quote Originally Posted by Argi View Post
    Thanks for the detailed reply Vlad, it answered all the question i had on the issue. I don't want to spend a lot $$ trying to retrofit mine (HID's), hence, stock it is for next season.
    No problem Argi, my pleasure. Most of us don't ride that much at night, so having daylight-making three-sun-ultra-lazer headlights is not really necessary. Being visible is a concern though, even more at day time. For that purpose I recommend a headlight modulator - they are around $100 and can be moved from bike to bike relatively easily, or even transferred to a car. Modulators are legal everywhere in US or Canada and I have never even been questioned by the police about mine.

http://www.kisantech.com/
    http://www.webbikeworld.com/Reviewed...h/visipath.htm
    http://www.signaldynamics.com/produc...dStar/dshm.asp

P.S. Get a brake light modulator while you are at it.