Importing a PARTS/TRACK bike from US to Canada

Thread: Importing a PARTS/TRACK bike from US to Canada

2005 Suzuki SV650s [current] 2000 Suzuki SV 650s ( SOLD ) 1985 Suzuki GS 400 (SOLD)

Importing a PARTS/TRACK bike from US to Canada

Hey guys,

I've done the search and I've done the sticky readings but im still a little unclear.

I want to pick up a track/parts bike from the states and bring it to Canada. Now its the whole bike except that theres salvage title or junk title on the bike. What is the process for this bringing it over the boarder? What do I have to do on my end before I buy and go over to take possession of the bike?

Thanks in advance!

07SV650S

Re: Importing a PARTS/TRACK bike from US to Canada

Well im not sure if you have to register it. But if you do want to register it then you have to bring proof of purchase to the US border. Then you have to wait 72 hours before going back. The US will give you paper back, then you bring bike to Canada customs pay a 200$ fee. They will get you to sign a form and within a few weeks you will get some paperwork in the mail. You take the paperwork and a recall notice letter - a dealer or manufacturer should be able to get it for you - to canadian tire. They make sure you did all the recalls required and also check to make sure the bike is safe for canadian roads and up to CDN standards such as km/h marking rather then miles/hr. Then they sign off on it and you go to the MTO and get your plates.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Ive had a few friends do this, it takes time but its easy.
    Last edited by 07SV650S; 09-28-2008 at 02:32 PM.

BigFuZz

Quote Originally Posted by 07SV650S View Post
    Well im not sure if you have to register it. But if you do want to register it then you have to bring proof of purchase to the US border. Then you have to wait 72 hours before going back. The US will give you paper back, then you bring bike to Canada customs pay a 200$ fee. They will get you to sign a form and within a few weeks you will get some paperwork in the mail. You take the paperwork and a recall notice letter - a dealer or manufacturer should be able to get it for you - to canadian tire. They make sure you did all the recalls required and also check to make sure the bike is safe for canadian roads and up to CDN standards such as km/h marking rather then miles/hr. Then they sign off on it and you go to the MTO and get your plates.

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/how_to_import.html

Ive had a few friends do this, it takes time but its easy.
    Salvage bikes do not need the recall letter or inspection. You still have to pay taxes.

2005 Suzuki SV650s [current] 2000 Suzuki SV 650s ( SOLD ) 1985 Suzuki GS 400 (SOLD)

Second posting was more relevant. Do i need to do any paperwork or checks before hand though?

Or can I just show up at the border with the bike and pay the taxes and bring it over.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFuZz View Post
    Salvage bikes do not need the recall letter or inspection. You still have to pay taxes.
    Salvage bikes ABSOLUTELY require the recall clearances and taxes/duties must be paid at the point of entry.

They do not require the RIV inspection, but the recall clearance letter is still required.

If you are importing for track use purposes they "MAY" ask for a letter from a sanctioning body.

What about just for parts....not track...if the title on the bike has a salvage title on it and i want to strip it once i get home and use the parts? I get the recall letter but what else?

I have the same problem, 3 people here had 3 different responses. So whats the truth, anyone know?

I know a tiny bit about it, I've brought in about 15 bikes this season.

The race team I work for has been doing this for several years and have always required the recall clearance letter.

I brought my TZ over No problem No Duty or anything. Competition only vehicles are exempt from Duty you just pay GST and PST.

Another way is to disassemble it and bring it over as parts. Tell them it will never be registered as a street bike.

Quote Originally Posted by ManoWar View Post
    I have the same problem, 3 people here had 3 different responses. So whats the truth, anyone know?

the truth is to call customs and see.

reciprocity has experience doing this and im sure hes correct but i have also done this and didnt need a recall letter, was also told recall letter was only for no title or junk title bikes.

donut

Shut up Donny.

There's another way to do it. If you want to import the bike as "parts only" as it has a salvage title so cant be made street legal here, you can fill out Form 3 instead of Form 1 with Canadian Customs. The import fee is $80ish instead of $204. You will pay PST at the border, i cant remember if you'll have to pay GST but thats the end of it. Just be aware that as far as the MTO is concerned your bike does not exist. I do believe you'll have to present it to US customs prior to leaving the states as normal. Fax your paper work to the US Customs office at where ever you're crossing at least 72 hours before you get there and take the fax confirmation with you.

Minifig.
    I've only ever imported street/track bikes from the States and i've never paid duty on any of them. If it was new, i would likely have to pay Duty. Used = no duty.
    Last edited by donut; 09-30-2008 at 03:21 PM.

donut

Quote Originally Posted by geoff-9 View Post
    the truth is to call customs and see.

reciprocity has experience doing this and im sure hes correct but i have also done this and didnt need a recall letter, was also told recall letter was only for no title or junk title bikes.
    The exact opposite is true.

The recall clearance letter is most important for bikes you intend on registering for street use. Without that letter you cannot get the bike registered in your name.

I've never needed the recall clearance letter at the border but i've been asked for it every time at the MTO when getting the bike put in my name.

Quote Originally Posted by andrewp View Post
    What about just for parts....not track...if the title on the bike has a salvage title on it and i want to strip it once i get home and use the parts? I get the recall letter but what else?
    As long as there is a VIN you'll have to go through the whole process
    Fax the documents (bill of sale, title etc.) 72 hours in advance. Call the border officials and check the documents were received and cleared

you'll have to pay taxes at the border ... fill out a form 3, not a form 1. It's the $75 form and is specifically for bikes that will never be put back on the street or are used solely for parts

As of July 2007 all salvage bikes receive an "irreparable" title - since it will never be roadworthy there is no reason to get an inspection
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...

Quote Originally Posted by donut View Post
    The exact opposite is true.

The recall clearance letter is most important for bikes you intend on registering for street use. Without that letter you cannot get the bike registered in your name.

I've never needed the recall clearance letter at the border but i've been asked for it every time at the MTO when getting the bike put in my name.

+1
    Two bikes this year. tell them it is a parts bike and it will never be on the road. Once the guy did give us a bit of a hard time. Just told him to think of it as a bunch of parts screwed together and not a bike. Both bikes were salvage title and some what broken looking (fairings were toast). Just a printed bill of sale and some taxes got us through the border.
    Bikes R what unite us, what kind should not matter!

Just curious, have you guys ever brought over a bike with no title? just a bill of sale?

I've found a track bike i want, but the owner does not have a title...after reading about it on the RIV site, it says even if delared as a "parts only" bike, you would still need the original salvage title...

if you have brought a bike over with just a bill of sale, do you have to fax it over 72 hours in advance?

bump this thread due to me buying a bike with lien on it and thinking of using it as parts bike. So the final answer is i just get bill of sale and pay the taxes and thats it?

Quote Originally Posted by baljci View Post
    bump this thread due to me buying a bike with lien on it and thinking of using it as parts bike. So the final answer is i just get bill of sale and pay the taxes and thats it?
    if it has a lien, the lien holder can come and claim the property(its their's) at any time unless the debt to them is paid in full and the lien is removed before purchase.