Spies to Yamaha WSBK

Thread: Spies to Yamaha WSBK

Spies to Yamaha WSBK

Looks like he's taking Haga's ride WSBK on a Yamaha.

Rumors are flying in Europe that reigning AMA Superbike Champion Ben Spies will race for Yamaha in the 2009 FIM Superbike World Championship Series.

The team is backed by Yamaha Motor Company through its subsidiary, Yamaha Motor Europe, and is run by Yamaha Italia.

Re: Spies to Yamaha WSBK

thats okay, i guess. I would of really liked to see him in motogp next year. I was at the Indianapolis race and witnessed him ride. i believe if he had more time with motogp he would be one of the top riders and not just a grid filler.

With Corser now confirmed at BMW it really looks like this is going to happen.

WSBK is by far the best motorcycle racing series happening today and this is just going to make it better.

Kind of a kick in the nuts for the Rizla team. They kind of hummed and hawwed that they may have a ride for him, but once they agreed to re-sign the two riders they already had, Spies turns around and spanks the both of them at Indy, on their own equipment. And it's not like they could argue that he had more racing time on that track because it is American, because bikes havent run that track in 100 yrs.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    Kind of a kick in the nuts for the Rizla team. They kind of hummed and hawwed that they may have a ride for him, but once they agreed to re-sign the two riders they already had, Spies turns around and spanks the both of them at Indy, on their own equipment. And it's not like they could argue that he had more racing time on that track because it is American, because bikes havent run that track in 100 yrs.
    Agreed, if Suzuki in MotoGP didnt look like a bit of a mish-mash thrown together team before, then letting Spies beat their own on their own did it.
    Then letting him walk away is just icing on the whole mess.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

Money was the issue, another site reported that he was asking 2million to race the Suzuki, this is more than most teams are willing to pay for a rider. If this was to become the norm, I would expect great seats for $125.00 to be a thing of the past. The cost would be more like F1, $200 and up per seat.
    Motogp needs to do something about the number of bikes on the grid for the main event, 19 is just not enough; further more they need to change the format for the support races, 125cc and 250cc doesn't cut it anymore. I hope the rumors of a 600cc class in Motogp is true.

Quote Originally Posted by veteq View Post
    Money was the issue, another site reported that he was asking 2million to race the Suzuki, this is more than most teams are willing to pay for a rider. If this was to become the norm, I would expect great seats for $125.00 to be a thing of the past. The cost would be more like F1, $200 and up per seat.
    Motogp needs to do something about the number of bikes on the grid for the main event, 19 is just not enough; further more they need to change the format for the support races, 125cc and 250cc doesn't cut it anymore. I hope the rumors of a 600cc class in Motogp is true.

As I'm sure Dorna would love to have more bikes on the field, these bikes aren't cheap, sponsorship money is needed.

and what's wrong with 125 and 250 racing? it's some of the closest racing out there!

they will be phased out by 2011 though with 4 stroke machinery... 2 stroke bikes just don't make any money for the manufacturers.

Quote Originally Posted by veteq View Post
    I think the $ amounts are a bit off, Spies was probably making way more than that in AMA, I heard romours of Mladin making 8 million last year. Spies would be around him Im guessin. I think most MotoGP riders are making 1-2 million, even if they suck. Rossis probably close to 20 million.
    These are just rumours tho.
    CyclePaintWorX - Booked solid until winter 2012.
    cyclepaintworx@gmail.com
    Ultimate Quality Refinishing.
    519-503-8933

no place for a 600cc class IMO...

400cc 4 stroke to replace 250
    and 250cc 4 stroke to replace 125s..

Just my opinion though..

It was great being able to get tickets for 3 days for $75 ! I heard Bill's tickets in TO start at over $100 for juist the one game...

Quote Originally Posted by TLDeano View Post
    Rossis probably close to 20 million.
    These are just rumours tho.
    30 million according to forbes. he is the third highest paid athlete under 30 years old.

"I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

you beat me to it Franz

2 new young guns on the team with little track experience and no bike knowledge... do you think this was a good call on Yamaha's part? Both guys are top riders in their current respective championships, I really hope they do well.

it'll definitely be a tougher year for Spies, at least Sykes has track knowledge for Brands and Donnington from BSB... I'm curious to see how he'll do his rookie year.

edit. Franz, your link is wrong... here's the right one...
    http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/081001b.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic Trance View Post
    edit. Franz, your link is wrong... here's the right one...
    http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2008/Oct/081001b.htm
    You screwed with my link?, you're such a sore loser.

Yamaha has that big-bang motor for next year, so they don't expect to win out of the box.

Spies will be expected to win at Miller, as will Sykes at Donington.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

I'm hoping that he suprises everyone!

The guy has more tallent than anybody coming from the US in over 20 years!
    He's smooth and consistant does make mistakes too often, kind of reminds me of Eddie Lawson.

id be happy for him where ever he goes... He's a very talented racer and way too good for AMA. WSBK is a huge step up and of course Moto GP would be nice to see him there instead... way to go "Elbows"!

He's a talented rider no doubt, but he comes off abit stuck up sometimes. At Indy, he was asked about concerns for his home in Texas, given the hurricane that was coming through, and he started talking about how he had several homes and that his "concierge" was taking care of everything. Came off really stuck up. I'm sure he'll do well though.