Lane splitting?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lane splitting?

07SV650S

Lane splitting?

Whats the punishment for lane splitting in Ontario? I wonder if some super cop will say its "stunting" and take away your ride? I was just wondering, never done it though, basically unless im late for something super important I dont feel its worth it.

Trenton/Belleville Ride: Hornet 600(aka 599)

Re: Lane splitting?

Not sure what the penalties are but a lot of people do it time to time. Cars seem to even be getting used to it a bit, giving a bit room, no horns honking, cutting off. Generally pretty easy going, generally.

Look up on MTO website, you find find the info there.

Ask Get4Money about lane splitting, it earned him an experience with bill 203.

Some of the traffic legislation of this province is an absolute joke. And a bad one!
    While in other countries lane splitting is allowed, if not even encouraged, here it lands you in this incredible mess. Referring to George's story in the links above. Sad... !

That's the problem with the current traffic law situation... it's impossible to answer a simple question like: "What's the punishment for this offence?"

Could be the cop turns a blind eye in the interest of helping with traffic flow.

Could be the cop gives you a talking to and a warning.

Could be a $100 ticket.

Could be a 7-day license suspension, impoundment and possible damage to your vehicle, and a court date with a $10,000 fine.

Making decisions about how to drive shouldn't be such a roll of the dice.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    That's the problem with the current traffic law situation... it's impossible to answer a simple question like: "What's the punishment for this offence?"

Could be the cop turns a blind eye in the interest of helping with traffic flow.

Could be the cop gives you a talking to and a warning.

Could be a $100 ticket.

Could be a 7-day license suspension, impoundment and possible damage to your vehicle, and a court date with a $10,000 fine.

Making decisions about how to drive shouldn't be such a roll of the dice.

--- D
    That's exactly whatthey wanted. Have you wondering about everything ...

noobinacan

I love it how you all are so scared of the government and the LAWS with other petty men have written.

I had a motorcycle cop friend of the family toronto police tell me that lane splitting or "riding in tandem" is not illegal. Where do i go to prove him wrong? or is he right?
    It was in reference to those to bike cops who spilled while lane splitting recently on the street car tracks.

i dont know .... damn coppers
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
    lane splitting or "riding in tandem"
    Those arn't the same things.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

really ?? so whats what?

from what he explained they were the same...
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
    really ?? so whats what?

from what he explained they were the same...
    Lane spiltting you are moving between slow or stopped traffic.

Filtering, traffic is stopped & you movie up to the front of the line is the same manner.

Riding in Tandem is just sharing your lane with another bike, not recmommended as you have no where to go & you are entited to a whole lane jsut in case you need it.

Duster929 has it, it could be any number of charges, now including hit with HTA 172
    http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/reg...s_070455_e.htm
    (Section 3, Sub 8 part iii)
    iii. driving a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates an intention to drive, without justification, as close as possible to another vehicle, pedestrian or fixed object on or near the highway
    Last edited by tat2; 09-22-2008 at 10:01 PM.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Would drafting a truck be justification, I mean with how high gas can get sometimes.

re cars getting used to it... sometimes I see cars pull over in their lane to give me room to pass in the same lane. I haven't taken the invitation, my luck it would either be some jerk wad who would think it funny to bump me into oncoming traffic as I pass or some cop looking to entice me into violating bill 203 so he can have bonus points.
    x

Trenton/Belleville Ride: Hornet 600(aka 599)

I think its only the frequent downtown drivers anyway, could be because they are used to bicycles doing it and the occasional motorbike or scooter. I;m sure no one would set you up to take you out.

On that note, I notice scooter drivers take more action in dense traffic, maybe they are former bicycle drivers and carry on those same habits.

Anyone know of any scooters getting bill 203 applied?

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    re cars getting used to it... sometimes I see cars pull over in their lane to give me room to pass in the same lane. I haven't taken the invitation, my luck it would either be some jerk wad who would think it funny to bump me into oncoming traffic as I pass or some cop looking to entice me into violating bill 203 so he can have bonus points.

Man, I don't understand why you would even stop for a cop during rush hour, while splitting lanes.... he can't go anywhere, and neither can anyone that he radios... I did it on the 403 when there was an accident and traffic was DEAD STOPPED, I rode between the left lane and the carpool lane, even going by an OPP SUV right after Erin Mills... they didn't bother turning their sirens on, let alone asking to stop me... Now if youre blowing on city streets passing cars between lanes, thats a COMPLETELY different story...

2002 Suzuki GSX600F (Completely Stock)
    2001 VW GTi 1.8T (GIAC chip, Aluminum Flywheel, VR6 Clutch, .651 5th gear, TT Short Shifter, HID's... APR Turboback and Bilstein PSS's soon to come)

Quote Originally Posted by CruisnGrrl View Post
    I get cars creating huge lane gaps sometimes like when Moses parted the seas for his followers to get through. I just stare in envy but I have biten the bait yet. Like what am I supposed to do after filtering to the front? I've got no lanes to own and will stick out like a lost 3rd vehicle with every steely eyes on me.
    Last edited by psycho44; 09-27-2008 at 10:39 PM.

Yeah, I've seen that a few times myself, driver in front goes way right in their lane, sometimes getting onto the shoulder a bit, and stay there for a good 30 seconds or so. I wonder if there giving me room to split, but I've always been content to follow behind.

That or they just want a better view at my bike from their side view mirror

Lane splitting at its finest http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8n6z_jrrKuI ... looking at the cars and buildings, it almost looks like back home

2002 Suzuki GSX600F (Completely Stock)
    2001 VW GTi 1.8T (GIAC chip, Aluminum Flywheel, VR6 Clutch, .651 5th gear, TT Short Shifter, HID's... APR Turboback and Bilstein PSS's soon to come)

Quote Originally Posted by albguy40 View Post
    Lane splitting at its finest http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=8n6z_jrrKuI ... looking at the cars and buildings, it almost looks like back home
    That's like a video game!