"motorcyclist lucky to be alive" article on CP24 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "motorcyclist lucky to be alive" article on CP24

Re: "motorcyclist lucky to be alive" article on CP24

Bikers should ALWAYS approach intersections with eyes open and shed some speed if you are above the limit.

You should always take an intersection EXPECTING someone to take you out.

No matter who is at fault, you will be the one to suffer.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueThunder View Post
    They are lazy and don't take driving seriously. Our big super safe vehicles make us think that nothing can happen to us and as a result we drive with a lack of awareness.
    +100
    You're absolutely right!

If every car had a nail in the steering wheel directed towards driver's face, the car drivers would drive much more carefull!!!

VFRider

Quote Originally Posted by slogan View Post
    +100
    You're absolutely right!

If every car had a nail in the steering wheel directed towards driver's face, the car drivers would drive much more carefull!!!
    i Just got a damn good idea!!!!!

Yeah, its the simple fact thet cagers who DONT ride... dont think about others, or other vehicles on the roads... you cant just say "cagers are sooooooo stupid!" because although we're riders, We're cagers too.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueThunder View Post
    My left turn incident was similar and as I leaned the bike to steer it around the front of the vehicel I I realized I just wasn't going to make and did a mix of let the bike go and push the bike away. Bike went under the vehicel and I went in front of it. Then proceeded to stand up and yell at the guy to get out of the car. Bystanders said they had never seen anyone stand up so quickly.

This is why I never push a light. I'm terrified of what happened in the story and will never push a light.
    didnt you get banged up at all? like scrapes and road rash or whatever? well i guess for the first couple of minutes ur body is running off pure adreneline, but did u have to go to the hospital after

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Bikers should ALWAYS approach intersections with eyes open and shed some speed if you are above the limit.

You should always take an intersection EXPECTING someone to take you out.

No matter who is at fault, you will be the one to suffer.
    Pat Hahn (author of Ride Hard, Ride Smart) observed that intersections are unwittingly but expertly designed as hazard zones for motorcyclists. Unfortunately, they seem to be multiplying in the GTA at an alarming rate. There are now FIVE between Strachan and Bathurst along Fleet street, if you can believe it (I pass through 21 just to get to work).

I don't proceed with my left turn until i'm damn sure traffic is stopping. Whether this takes an extra half second or not I don't give care. Sometimes I end up proceding through the red but that's a whole lot better than slicing a vehicle in half with my truck.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose87 View Post
    CP24 is sensationalist garbage, it's best just not to give them any second thought.
    Yup! That's why they just hired Cam Woolley to work for them. The positive is that he's not a cop anymore. The negative is that we'll have to hear his judgemental sensationalist crap more often...

--- D

I'd rather be sitting in the middle of an intersection and have the light turn red than risk assuming people are going to stop for the light, no matter what kind of vehicle I'm in.

But I have to admit, I was NOT someone you wanted to ride anywhere near before I went passenger with my dad a few times and saw pictures of my boyfriend's post-surgery recovery after his motorcycle accident. Yikes.

My question is what does jumping mean? Dumping and sliding or trying to jump over the hood/car?!

an alternative to not left turning would be making 3 right turns.

What do you mean they cut out "speeding was a possible factor" lol
    ***Next to Motorcycles, Diamonds are a girls best friend***

wow, glad the rider is ok. as for fault, well as usual here we'll see the typical biker answer of "stupid F'in cager blahblahblhablha"...whatever. nobody here KNOWS the exact details/timing of what happend so they should stfu. i too would GUESS/think the left turning car was at fault...not seeing the biker coming straight thru the light. but hey guess what....if the driver is in the middle of the intersection and the light was JUST turning red (if not already red), the biker SHOULD HAVE STOPPED or at least be riding properly enough (and be knowledgeable enough) to not run the light or had started to let off WAY earlier and then this woulda nvr happend. basically the car cant sit in the middle of the intersection waiting for the bike to get thru on the red or if it was a late red. i DO agree it is the cars fault if the light was purely yellow IF the bike was going thru or at least did not have enough distance to stop (then the car has to wait).
    ...vrooom

I must give it to the biker for taking a leap of faith (no pun intended).

As was said, u should approach every intersection w/ caution. Thats where most of the accidents happen. Go at a speed that would safely stop in time cuz its ur life on the line brother.
    Resident Loudmouth

Even if the light does turn red while u're making a left hand turn you STILL have the right of way above the people who have the green now, because you are priority to clear the intersection.

even if the bike ran the red, its still the guys fault for not checking if the way is clear....
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm