trials riders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trials riders?

trials riders?

Are there any trials riders on this forum if so what do you ride and where are you from?

I live in oakville and ride a 99 gasgas txt 200

sorry no pics

Re: trials riders?

Wish I had a trails bike.... when you get a chance to get pic please post them.

"Gerry" has an old 70's Montesa Cota 123.Awesome little bike for it's time.Sure wish i had the one i owned way back then.I also ran a couple of Beamish Suzukis in the early 80's.Maybe i'll get a trialer again someday.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    "Gerry" has an old 70's Montesa Cota 123.Awesome little bike for it's time.Sure wish i had the one i owned way back then.I also ran a couple of Beamish Suzukis in the early 80's.Maybe i'll get a trialer again someday.

I actualy have one of those sitting in my garage. the frame is broken right at the foot peg. It hasn't moved in about 10-15 years if he needs it for parts i,ll be willing to get rid of it.

Sorry for a late response... just read it.
    Another trials convert here. Or, it seems to be the bike I ride most as I can practice in my yard any time I want. If you are looking for a place to ride I have a piece of property north of Bobcaygeon if you are interested.
    I'm on a 2008 GasGas 250.

REVIVE

just getting in to it, dont even have a bike.

any tips for a newb?

anyone know any decent spots in toronto?

the bikes are like 150 lbs, i am going to keep it at my house and transport it wherever...

i have a cottage which i can setup some crazy **** (old cars, tires, misc junk, etc)

but looking for an option in the GTA that i can ride, going to suck if i have to keep her at the cottage

anyone know anything about the aprilia climbers?

seem like beasts from what i have read, or the motesa, but they are really pricey, even old ones...

also any chance these can be made street legal? id love to be able to ride to spots...
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

Imperialengravers.com --------------
    ------------------------------------
    ---------------------------

Find a construction site nearby... even been "visited" while riding by cops (riding an unplated, unregistered trials bike)... never got hassled.

ya good call, man i cant wait to get a bike...

someone buy my zx6 now haha

2 bikes so far, any opinions

1993 aprilia climber 280 (i hear they are heavy and not as good for obstacles)

1997 yamaha tyz 250 (wasnt the greatest in its day, but lighter than the aprilia)
    but its our job to end this and ride motorcycles like men...today's society is soft as hell. but riding a 600cc is the least you can do...

1996 beta techno 250, I've had it since new, don't ride it much and cannot part with it. The way they did the colours on it looks like a crayon factory exploded beside it.

All I can say is Trials taught me how to 'RIDE'
    freedom is sailing a funky 2 wheeled spaceship just below the heavens

Ride until the Kaws come home

Man, i dont know much about trials bikes...but there is a guy on kijiji with a "race replica" 1998 beta techno 250 for 2950$

sounds high...

**** i found a 2003 gas gas txt 280 PRO (pro being the expensive model) for about 2600 CAD

but how are the beta techno compared to anything else you have tried?
    one guy told me "beta techno, well they look pretty...but its...well its a beta..." guessing thats not a good thing...

Also, anyone do trials in parks in the GTA? would i get super buster for driving a 2 stroke in the GTA parks?

i live in some crazy forest/ravine ares of toronto, not very close to public roads..

Is there a charge for this or what?

I think they would give you the 'driving not on the roadway' ticket and maybe trespassing (as most parks do not allow motorized vehicles). That being said, I have never seen a cop/bylaw officer in any park in Toronto (except the Beaches last Canada day). Go for a picnic table in your back yard, that should keep you busy for a while.

Hahaha so true...
    good old cottage will help while the weather is good...indoor places also when it snows.

back to problem A:, what bleeping bike to buy...

ive been reading alot of new garbage on the TYZ...

if i want to spend the exrta dolo, the 2003 gas gas 280 pro is the ideal bike for the price...maybe not my skill level but ill learn eventually..i hear the bike is more rated for a pro (hence the name)

but the aprilia - not a stunter, more of a climber (hence the name lol)

and the tyz im scared to buy now as anything ive read has been negative...again not alot of ratings for it being a hoppy stunter..

bahhh time to pony up and get a real trials bike

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
    Hahaha so true...
    good old cottage will help while the weather is good...indoor places also when it snows.

back to problem A:, what bleeping bike to buy...

ive been reading alot of new garbage on the TYZ...

if i want to spend the exrta dolo, the 2003 gas gas 280 pro is the ideal bike for the price...maybe not my skill level but ill learn eventually..i hear the bike is more rated for a pro (hence the name)

but the aprilia - not a stunter, more of a climber (hence the name lol)

and the tyz im scared to buy now as anything ive read has been negative...again not alot of ratings for it being a hoppy stunter..

bahhh time to pony up and get a real trials bike
    Might be worth contacting Allan Jaggard up at the Forks.He has been tinkering with trialers this year and prolly has a bunch of contacts.http://www.jagg448.com/
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

How ever told you beta's are wonky they don't no much about they are one of the most reliable trials bikes on the market exspecialy the techno. The newer revs were a little wierd so in 09 they went back to the techno motor for the evo. My brother had a 98 "race replica" (they all were) and he loved it he owned it for about 8 years with ne problems just normal matenence and a bearing hear and ther and that was hard riding by an expierenced rider. He still likes it better then his 08 gasser pro.

As for the gasser the early pro's wernt very good witch I think 02 or 03 we're the first years. They didn't get them sorted till O6 and still a lot of people are sceptical about them. The trannys and gear shifter mechenism are funky (6 speeds and only 8 tranny gears). You hit the shifter the right way off a rock and your tearing the motor apart

The tyz from my understanding were pretty solid but I don't like how they don't have a hydrolic clutch.

What you need to find is a late 90's monty,beta,gasser(non pro) or sherco witch they started in 99 under the bultaco name. At a reasonable price 2000-2500. I'll ask around at the trial this weekend for you.

please do thanks alot...

im gearing towards a 1998 montesa 315r, but its in BC and id have to ship it... the cost is not the issue, the potential for getting a hunk of crap is...

i can have that montesa for under 2500 to my door, which is a great price and i hear the 1997+ montesa are perfect. Modern, etc.

The 98 montessa sounds like a pretty good deal as long as its not completly trashed. Don't be afraid to ask questions like how are the chain and sprockets, wheel and linkage bearings fork seals. When was the last time the top end and clutch was done. I wouldn't worrie about cosmetics as you will break fenders and stuff learning the ropes. Any pics ? I'll still keep my eye open for you though

just found out its 525 tax included to ship the montesa if the seller agrees to bring it to mainland BC

and that means $2300-2400 to my door, and pray to god it doesnt need more work...

or 2600-7000 for a 1997 local.

youd still say Montesa over Beta Techno of the same year?

I keep hearing the montesa is light years ahead of the game in the late 90s...but maybe beta is too?

cheers!

there both good from that era the. For a beginner I think the montessa is better. they had a nice smooth power delivery and a nice progressive clutch. Were the betas power hit hard and the clutch was like a on off switch witched discoureged biggeners. Not saying one had any less power then the other. The gassers of that era were somewhere inbetween. All more reliable then the newer stuff. I sugest you go for the monty there still a very sought after bike and in a couple years if you want to sell it you could possibly get what you paid for it.

going to see the beta tonight.
    i have 2 betas on the list, 1998 and 1999 same price, both in perfect shape. the 1998 has a bunch work done (like seals, rings, clutch, etc)

the 1999 is all stock with low hours, from a parker brothers, so im not worried about that either.

figre the 1999 from them is better for the same price.

and the monty if i feel like riding/driving 3 hrs to see it this weekend. It has 3 people interested in buying her, so depending on the seller it will probably stay at 2800$ expensive little ****ers.

i started at $1500-2000, now im up to 2600-2700 budget...shouldnt be going that high but oh well..

Quote Originally Posted by djbordie View Post
    i started at $1500-2000, now im up to 2600-2700 budget...shouldnt be going that high but oh well..
    You can go that high... think about the money saving from not having to pay for insurance or plates. I had 4 different bikes last yr (street, trials, enduro, dualsport) and I am now to 2 bikes, but the trials bike has moved into my favorite ride.