John Newell & the street racing legislation book - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: John Newell & the street racing legislation book

Re: John Newell & the street racing legislation book

For the record I'm female and I found nothing offensive with the way "women" was brought into the conversation. It's true though, most females can't drive worth beans and most men are asshats with their testosterone driving at some point. Can I start painting the oppinionated one with the same stick he's trying to shove down our throat yet?
    There are some thing's better left unsaid, but you can bet your sweet a** I'm going to say them anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Charly View Post
    stick he's trying to shove down our throat
    Ohhh... baby!!!!!!
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

I cant find this ISBN anywhere.

Anyone have this book?

Quote Originally Posted by gnatwest View Post
    I cant find this ISBN anywhere.

Anyone have this book?
    You can pick it up from John directly. He's the original poster who started the thread.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

gullyfourmyle

You may have noticed that an OPP officer has been charged with giving out tickets to innocent drivers. That sort of action was described in my book. In fact while I was writing the book, it was happening to a friend of mine.

In his case, the police and the tow truck drivers were in cahoots and there was more than one cop involved.

Many of the people who bought the book had similar experiences. Catching one guy may make Fantino feel good but it isn't going to solve the problem.

At some point I may be declared an expert witness for the defence in street racing cases. There are two cases going on right now that I may participate in on that level.

In the meantime, my Freedom of Information Request to get the accident statistics from the Ministry of Transport is with the adjudicator who is supposed to make a ruling sometime soon.

The Ministry of Transport has been withholding all the stats ever since Fantino began making assertions and wild claims about how great a job the police are doing keeping Ontario roads safe. None of the other things like gas prices, layoffs, improving technology and so on had anything to do with it.

You may have noticed as well that the average speed of drivers has crept back almost to what it was before the street racing legislation came into effect.

Street racers as a group are still not the people being caught for street racing. The people being caught are joe average.

Of course boring old Petie will never get caught because he never gets his bike up to speed.

You have to ask yourself: Why does he own a motorcycle? To drive slowly on two wheels everywhere he goes? One of the great pleasures of owning a motorcycle is the fabulous sensation of speed that can only be had on a motorcycle going like hell. Could you die doing it? Certainly. I've seen some absolutely gruesome accidents and photos of motorcycle riders after meeting an immovable object. It happens.

But guess what? back when street cars were first deployed, they ran at five miles an hour. The carnage was fierce. People, horses and dogs were killed every day. Cars had to have a man with a red flag walking in front to warn pedestrians to move out of the way. At Home Depot, the tow motors always have a flag man accompanying the machine when it's moving.

The thing is, no matter how fast or slow people move, fatalities happen.

Anyway, those of you who want the book will have to wait until the next edition now because the new information is going to go in it before I sell any more.

I will post here when the time is close so people can pre-order.

Quote Originally Posted by brian p View Post
    responses to pete e in line preceded by ** because too many questions. He's got me figured out so wrongly it's almost silly.

you can show quite a number of roads where 50 over is safe !? Who made you an expert?? ** i am a licensed mechanical engineer - nearing 20 years of experience. In areas where i'm not qualified, others can be found who are.

Don't you get it? The condition of the road, or the weather, is not the issue. ** oh really? Why not? The design of roadways is an engineering matter. What is the alleged purpose of a speed limit if it is not "safety" - although it has been tilted towards revenue generation and who knows what other political motivations.

The issue is whether or not the clown doing 170 is in way over his head or not...and he probably is about 70 kph over his head. Don't believe for a second a bike won't kill people in a car...it's not so hard for a bike to pretty much cut a car in half. ** irrelevant. Nobody is saying we ought to have the right to go 170 km/h through school zones on tuesday mornings, that would be absurd. In other circumstances it may not be dangerous. This is why the setting of speed limits is supposed to be an engineering exercise ... Not a political one.

Every speed limit in north america (most of the world) is the same, on the same type of road..give or take 10 mph / kph..are you smarter than the legislators all over the continent. I hardly think so. ** motorway speed limits have now become almost universally higher than ours throughout the usa and in some cases 80 mph. On secondary roads, most roads in usa are 55 mph, which is higher than ours (although not by much). European motorway speed limit is 130 km/h almost everywhere with some unlimited sections in germany. By the way, german autobahns have a better safety record than north american highways. 130 km/h is probably quite close to the 85th-percentile speed. Even if one confines themselves within ontario, i can show quite a few instances where roads are posted 20 or 30 km/h lower than other roads despite similar width, number of driveways, visibility, amount of traffic, etc.

You, on the other hand, sound like a whole dump truck load of sour grapes...how many tickets have you got? ** one minor 15k-over on my record 2 years ago. Last one before that was more than 5 years ago. Never had an at-fault collision, either.

Is your insurance through the roof? ** no.

The 407 is "safe" for as fast as any bike today will go...but the laws are not designed to protect us from lousy roads and poor weather...they're there for the idiot who thinks he knows which roads are safe to motor along at stupid speeds. ** given the average travel speed on most roads, it is not reasonable to say that 99+% of the population are "idiots".

Take it to the track...that's where it belongs...unless of course you can only go fast in a straight line. ** no argument from me on that point.

And please....don't give us that crap about caring about my well being and the betterment of humankind. You have some sort of personal agenda because of a perceived injustice...it'd make a great song - something like "why's all the cops pickin' on me?" ** the cops don't pick on me - at least they haven't so far.

I'll do just fine without you...and i bet the vast majority of us will as well. ** and i would do just fine without you. And cam woolley. And julian fantino. And dalton mcguinty. We don't need the garbage they have been ramming down our throats.
    (y)(y)(y)

Quote Originally Posted by gullyfourmyle View Post
    You may have noticed that an OPP officer has been charged with giving out tickets to innocent drivers. That sort of action was described in my book. In fact while I was writing the book, it was happening to a friend of mine.

In his case, the police and the tow truck drivers were in cahoots and there was more than one cop involved.

Many of the people who bought the book had similar experiences. Catching one guy may make Fantino feel good but it isn't going to solve the problem.

At some point I may be declared an expert witness for the defence in street racing cases. There are two cases going on right now that I may participate in on that level.

In the meantime, my Freedom of Information Request to get the accident statistics from the Ministry of Transport is with the adjudicator who is supposed to make a ruling sometime soon.

The Ministry of Transport has been withholding all the stats ever since Fantino began making assertions and wild claims about how great a job the police are doing keeping Ontario roads safe. None of the other things like gas prices, layoffs, improving technology and so on had anything to do with it.

You may have noticed as well that the average speed of drivers has crept back almost to what it was before the street racing legislation came into effect.

Street racers as a group are still not the people being caught for street racing. The people being caught are joe average.

Of course boring old Petie will never get caught because he never gets his bike up to speed.

You have to ask yourself: Why does he own a motorcycle? To drive slowly on two wheels everywhere he goes? One of the great pleasures of owning a motorcycle is the fabulous sensation of speed that can only be had on a motorcycle going like hell. Could you die doing it? Certainly. I've seen some absolutely gruesome accidents and photos of motorcycle riders after meeting an immovable object. It happens.

But guess what? back when street cars were first deployed, they ran at five miles an hour. The carnage was fierce. People, horses and dogs were killed every day. Cars had to have a man with a red flag walking in front to warn pedestrians to move out of the way. At Home Depot, the tow motors always have a flag man accompanying the machine when it's moving.

The thing is, no matter how fast or slow people move, fatalities happen.

Anyway, those of you who want the book will have to wait until the next edition now because the new information is going to go in it before I sell any more.

I will post here when the time is close so people can pre-order.

please do, ill be first to order

Any word on these books?
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Nope. Might be best to ask him, directly.

http://www.redroom.com/member/gullyfourmyle/
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Thanks Rob.
    "It's only once you've lost everything that you're free to do anything." - Tyler Durden

2005 SV650S : Mar 2011 - Oct 2011

Just wondering why, after 3 people have lost their lives in my area due to truckers running into or over their vehicles from behind there has been no uproar. No media, no OPP Comish commenting, no MPP forwarding some other law to prevent this. I guess as long as they were not killed from someone street racing, but just plain old boring distracted driving, which just happens to represent about 35% or all accident deaths, vs less than 1% for street racing it is not an issue. My co worker & friend, Norm Pope was killed on this very same bridge years ago by an innattentive truck driver that failed to slow down and ran in to the back of the vehicle that Norm was a passengwer in. The truck driver got off very light with just a fine.
    http://www.quintenews.com/2011/12/fa...te-highway-37/
    http://www.trentonian.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3374272
    Last edited by Agent13; 12-28-2011 at 06:18 PM.
    Get in sit down buckle up and shut up and hang on !

Agent13, I hear what you're saying and I believe you are correct in so far as only specific incidents (like certain high profile deaths) seem to garner enough attention to warrant such probes. The government only investigates and / or proposes legislation for those cases. And there in lies the basis for some of Mr. Newell's comments. The Ontario government picks and chooses what facts and which statistics are used to forward their chosen cases. Furthermore, again as Mr. Newell has indicated, they are reluctant to produce this information so others may scrutinize it. That in turn leads to speculation as to why the government feels the need to hide such information.

Although we are getting somewhat off topic I think it pertinent to point out a couple of issues regarding the accidents you have cited. In the case of your friend's death there may well have been factors you were not aware of that the court took into consideration when sentencing the individual at fault. I understand that gives little comfort to those effected by his death. But, you must understand that things are different in a court of law then they are in the court of public opinion.

Let me use the accident on highway #37 to illustrate. There was a huge outcry over those deaths and I recognise why. However, that doesn't justify the vilification of all truck drivers or the virtual lynching of this one in particular. I understand he (the truck driver) was to have been in court two weeks ago but I have not heard the outcome of this case. Please understand that I am in no way condoning nor condemning the actions of any of the drivers involved. I'm just saying that I believe I can look at it objectively without bias and by so doing I see things others do not.

The driver of the big rig has to take responsibility for the initial crash but, was he distracted as you stated? Maybe he misjudged his speed and the distance required to safely stop. Perhaps he had a mechanical failure, sneezed, or it was a combination of several other things. Again, I'm not making excuses just stating that there may well be more to it then the blanket statement that distracted driving covers. He is responsible because the law states you must be in control of your vehicle. However, what happened after that first impact was out of his control. The fact that the death car crossed into the path of southbound traffic indicates that either the wheels were turned, the car was angled towards the side road or both.
    When making a left turn from one road onto another the vehicle turning should remain in the lane with the front wheels pointed straight ahead. This is done so that if hit from behind the vehicle will remain in it's lane and not do exactly what happened here, get pushed into oncoming traffic. Also, the driver would have lessened the damages and the extent of injuries if she had been watching her mirrors and recognized that the truck was not going to stop. Had she been doing so she might have been able to release the brakes allowing the vehicle to absorb more of the impact force by rolling forward. She may have been able to avoid the crash if she'd had the time and presence of mind to accelerate. Again I emphasize that I'm not trying to shift blame. I'm just attempting to highlight the other variables at work that people in the heat of the moment fail to consider.

Back on topic, even though this thread is dated now, I applaud Mr. Newell's efforts to uncover the truths behind some of our governments dealings.
    Such topics always have a way of polarizing people into the us against them camps. When really it should be a lightening rod that draws us all together against a common foe.
    the Dreamer
    (a.k.a. Ducati Dreamin' Stephen)
    '98 900 Ducati SS FE silFEr For Sale
    Living life on the edge. Less crowded, better view.