new book: Ont. Gov'ts Abuse of Power - Street Racing - Page 3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: new book: Ont. Gov'ts Abuse of Power - Street Racing

Re: new book: Ont. Gov'ts Abuse of Power - Street Racing

too much power for a cop. that's what it is.

Folks:

One of the other members here (Thx Thriller) was good enough to pick me up a copy of this book. If anyone has had a hard time picking up a copy and is still interested they are welcome to borrow mine. I work in Mississauga and live in Bloor West. You're welcome to it anytime as long as you come pick it up.

Send me a PM.

Hamie

unchecked power. thats what the police need.

seizure of property without a day in court-perfect.

empowering cops to be judge and jury is the only sensible thing to do.

the issue here is abuse of power, not street racing.

casual poll: who has contacted there mpp or the premier of ontario on this issue?
    don't think about it...just do it. now. and do not forget to state the real issue.
    DEMOCRACY - NOT PLUTOCRACY www.globalresearch.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Haven't you heard? Fantino says that the law isn't about racing at all now.

Programmes! Programmes! Can't tell a racer from a stunter without yer programmes!

It's amazing just amazing how he can spin then re-spin the law that sounds ridiculous and stupid too even him, and he's getting away with it and whats even more amazing then that is some people still don't get it! ,talking about the track like thats not issue here and never was.

Quote Originally Posted by boyoboy View Post
    unchecked power. thats what the police need.

seizure of property without a day in court-perfect.

empowering cops to be judge and jury is the only sensible thing to do.

the issue here is abuse of power, not street racing.

casual poll: who has contacted there mpp or the premier of ontario on this issue?
    don't think about it...just do it. now. and do not forget to state the real issue.
    If you're saying abuse of power by our elected officials, then i agree. If you mean by the police then I don't, as they are using a legal tool that has been given them by the government.

Currently there are 4 of us tag-teaming a PC MPP about the 172 and increased limits on young drivers issues. That is just what has gone on in the last 12-18 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by moto22 View Post
    It's amazing just amazing how he can spin then re-spin the law that sounds ridiculous and stupid too even him, and he's getting away with it and whats even more amazing then that is some people still don't get it! ,talking about the track like thats not issue here and never was.
    The average voter has an attention span that only goes back as far as the last sound-bite. That is why he is getting away with it. There's also the fact that most people are FOR these laws, without giving consideration to the potential ramifications.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Currently there are 4 of us tag-teaming a PC MPP
    She bloody wishes.....
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    She bloody wishes.....
    You set 'er up. We knock 'er down.

I didn't say running a bloody train, I said "tag teaming"

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

If you're saying abuse of power by our elected officials, then i agree. If you mean by the police then I don't, as they are using a legal tool that has been given them by the government.

Currently there are 4 of us tag-teaming a PC MPP about the 172 and increased limits on young drivers issues. That is just what has gone on in the last 12-18 hours.

The average voter has an attention span that only goes back as far as the last sound-bite. That is why he is getting away with it. There's also the fact that most people are FOR these laws, without giving consideration to the potential ramifications.
    "unchecked power"

hear hear! to those of you doing something!

And here's an even sadder fact.

FANTINO WANTED THE STREET RACING LAW TO KICK IN AT 30 KM/H OVER.

My mother touched 130 on the 401 in her Corolla the other day. Lock her up with the other 70 year old criminals I say.

The police are using a legal tool, although the way they're using it is clearly illegal in a VERY high percentage of cases.

Is there any way for someone to find out the breakdown of the police forces handing out 203 related charges?

I'd like to see the percentage of 203 tickets handed out by the different forces>
    - OPP
    - Metro
    - Peel
    - Durham
    etc....

Well I tell you I was in Caledon East court today.....and it was a full house and 90% were stunting charges......most were 115 in a 60 zone......there were about 5 people that plead guilty and were handed a $1000 fine for stunting......one poor guy was behind on his land taxes and they were foreclosing on his house....he told the judge he did not have the money to hire a lawyer....he was fined $500 and given a year to pay. But it was all stunting and most of the lawyers that were setting trial dated were all using either 11b charter or 7 charter in the trials? I can tell you this is a F^%kin joke!
    Last edited by GP_RZ; 10-03-2008 at 07:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GP_RZ View Post
    Well I tell you I was in Caledon East court today.....and it was a full house and 90% were stunting charges......most were 115 in a 60 zone......there were about 5 people that plead guilty and were handed a $1000 fine for stunting......one poor guy was behind on his land taxes and they were foreclosing on his house....he told the judge he did not have the money to hire a lawyer....he was fined $500 and given a year to pay. But it was all stunting and most of the lawyers that were setting trial dated were all using either 11b charter or 7 charter in the trials? I can tell you this is a F^%kin joke!
    I doubt 11b will go very far with stunting charges, mine had a pre-trial hearing within 10 days and trial in ~2 months.

Just what I was hearing the lawyers say and 7 charter whatever that is....in Caledon the trials are into march and may.

Quote Originally Posted by TBSS_guy View Post
    I doubt 11b will go very far with stunting charges, mine had a pre-trial hearing within 10 days and trial in ~2 months.

Section 7 of The Charter of Rights and Freedoms pertains to security of person and property.

Ahhh! ok well I was hearing it from every lawyer there getting a trial date for their parties they were representing! I would take it this is a good thing!

Section 7 of The Charter of Rights and Freedoms pertains to security of person and property.

I'm confused

section 7 reads as follows:

7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.

no mention of property

not sure what the argument is......are they suggesting that the upfront seizure violates the right to liberty and security?

that might well be a strategy to prolong the defense....but when the hell are we gonna get a proper challenge on 11d

d) to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal;

upfront penalties with no recourse (not to mention a massive non-conviction rate) violate 11d....it's pretty simple IMO

Maybe that's what GP_RZ was hearing 11D and he thought it was 11B..... it sounds almost identical.

Quote Originally Posted by Metastable View Post
    Maybe that's what GP_RZ was hearing 11D and he thought it was 11B..... it sounds almost identical.
    I was thinking the same thing... good call I bet that is it.