Whats the best way to get rid of micro scratches in my bike's paint?

Thread: Whats the best way to get rid of micro scratches in my bike's paint?

Whats the best way to get rid of micro scratches in my bike's paint?

I ride a black bike, so scratches stands out. Whats the best way to get rid of the micro scratches in the paint?

I've also noticed some white little dots in the paint, anyone know what it is? Damage from rain droplets?

Re: Whats the best way to get rid of micro scratches in my bike's paint?

My wing has acres of black tupperware.I know what you are talking about.I use Meguiar's ScratchX from Cdn Tire.Keep a good coat of carnauba wax on it and it will help reduce the swirls and tiny scratches.
    "If ya want me,I'll be in the bar"
    Ric Waterloo

1800 Goldwing
    2009 1100S Hypermotard (for sale)
    944 Ducati track the "Blueberry Muffin"

good quality 3m rubbing compound and a high speed polisher work well if the polisher operator is experienced as it is very easy to "burn" though the paint.

Are the white dots perhaps tiny stone chips?

I use Farecla G10 for fine scratches, and G3 if there's deeper ones.
    See this thread: http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...hlight=farecla

And this one:
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...hlight=farecla

I'm guessing tiny stone chips are your dots, but post a good, clear pic and let us have a look
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

pm Chintoe thats what I do

Quote Originally Posted by Bogdon View Post
    good quality 3m rubbing compound and a high speed polisher work well if the polisher operator is experienced as it is very easy to "burn" though the paint.

Are the white dots perhaps tiny stone chips?

Not sure, the white dots are all over the top of the bike. I've heard somewhere that if water droplets are sitting on the bike long enough under the sun, the droplets will act as a magnifying glass and burn little holes into the paint. Not sure if its true.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    My wing has acres of black tupperware.I know what you are talking about.I use Meguiar's ScratchX from Cdn Tire.Keep a good coat of carnauba wax on it and it will help reduce the swirls and tiny scratches.
    Cool, I'll try this. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    pm Chintoe thats what I do
    thanks for the referral Ken.

As for the spots, it's hard to comment on them without actually seeing them but it could be one of a few different things. It could be stone chips (most always found at the front of the bike for obvious reasons.). Stone chips in paint will allow things like dirt and wax to collect and become far more noticeable. Most likely though it is water spots. If you allow the water spots to dry and bake on, they can attach to your paint and harden. If the spots are from rain water, it will contain a variety of acids from air pollutants. If it is from your tap (i.e. improperly dried bike after wash) the water can contain calcium and metals. Either way it can be damaging to your paint. If the water spots are left for more than a week it can etch the paint and will need a mild acid bath to repair.

Good luck removing them, IMHO nothing looks better than a nice shiny black finish. Unfortunately black is the hardest finish to maintain as it shows all of the imperfections quite easily. If you don't have any luck removing them, send me a PM.

cheers

Could just be water spots. If you wash your bike with water that's not softened with a water softener and don't dry it off, you'll have little white marks all over. But they'll come off next time you wash it.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Wingboy View Post
    I use this as well, works great with some patience. Also works for stuff thats more than just micro scratches!
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    Could just be water spots. If you wash your bike with water that's not softened with a water softener and don't dry it off, you'll have little white marks all over. But they'll come off next time you wash it.
    providing you don't let them stay so long that they etch their way into your paint.

If its not too deep I usually use duplicolor clearcoat, never cheap out of clearcoat, spend the $10 and get the good stuff (motomaster is crap)