OPP Tactics

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OPP Tactics

OPP Tactics

Just want to warn everyone about the game the OPP likes playing.

Last night my wife was coming home from work and was travelling east on the 407 coming up to Brock Rd. As she approached the transponder gate she noticed a gold coloured SUV tail gating another car very agressively in the right lane.

In front of her there were 2 pick-up trucks and a civic and they were all travelling at approximately 105 to 110 km/hr. She started to slow down as she went through the transponder gate because the speed limit drops to 80.

The 2 trucks infront of her accelerate and switch into the right lane just then the gold SUV swerves into her lane behind her and almost take the back of her car off. The SUV proceeds to tailgate her to the point that she could not see the head lights of the SUV.

She said that she felt scared because this guy almost hit her and because of how close he was driving to her. Feeling scared for her safety she said she accelerated to place some distance between herself and the SUV who also accelerated and stayed right on her bumper. She wanted to get to an opening to get to the right lane and let this guy through but when she did get to the opening the SUV put his lights on and pulled her over.

Underecover gold SUV with absolutely no markings on it.

He gave her a ticket for doing 120 in an 80 zone. No radar, and he only paced her, if you can call it that, for a few 100 feet.

Funny how if anyone else did what this cop did, driving agressively, tailgating etc, they would probably get nailed with the stunting law and have their car impounded.

I told her to fight it and sat her down in front of the computer and had her write everything out and then draw diagrams of what happened so she would have a record of it.

She is going to arrange to go get a court date and then we will take the necessary steps to get the disclosure etc and hire a lawyer.

Couldn't this be considered entrapment ?

So if your on the 407 look out for the OPP in a gold unmarked SUV.

Re: OPP Tactics

I'd call that accident avoidance not speeding.

Also, be sure to bring up the fact it was your wife, alone on a relatively slow traffic highway (compared to the 401) at night and she felt legitimately SCARED.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

id hit my brakes and make the ******* hit me. then id sue.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    I'd call that accident avoidance not speeding.

Also, be sure to bring up the fact it was your wife, alone on a relatively slow traffic highway (compared to the 401) at night and she felt legitimately SCARED.
    That is what I said.....and she wrote that in her notes that she felt scared because there was no indication that this was a police officer until the lights went on and he was being very agressive. She said she felt threatened by the way this guy was tailgating her.

Quote Originally Posted by patronftw View Post
    Thought of that to but she wouldn't do that...I would have though

She just wanted to get out of his way so she accellerated to where there was an open gap for her to pull in.

I have seen this guy on the 401 just past the westney road westbound on Ramp just sitting there. Extremely dark tints on the vehicle as well right?

"Pushing" is an old-school tactic. Been used for years. I consider it to be dangerous driving, the way that a small minority of police practise it.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Ringmaster View Post
    Thought of that to but she wouldn't do that...I would have though
    Then you would have gotten charged and would have hard time explaining it. I think you are just joking...

3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:
    [...]
    8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
    [...]
    ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    "Pushing" is an old-school tactic. Been used for years. I consider it to be dangerous driving, the way that a small minority of police practise it.
    Wouldn't it qualify as an entrapment?

Quote Originally Posted by patronftw View Post
    Someone did that a few weeks ago and a man died. It is not the most prudent course of action. If you're that scared don't speed up, dial *OPP instead. I'd love to hear what happens when it's one of their own.

How about just slowing down and making a vehicle go around you?

After owning many high powered vehicles that could simply walk away from 99% of GTA traffic I simply slow down my speed to a crawl if I'm tailgated. Of course if they pizz me off I also accelerate to the speed limit at the same rate they do when they try to pass, but I'm a azzhole that way.
    Current - '08 T-rex (soon to be T-rex-T)
    Current - '02 Suzuki Hayabusa-T

Ex' - '88 - Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '01 - Suzuki Gixxer 1000
    Ex' - '89 - Honda CB-1
    Ex' - '02 Yamaha R6
    Ex' - '91 Yamaha YSR 80
    Ex' - '98 Suzuki GSXR 600

Quote Originally Posted by ajdomi View Post
    I have seen this guy on the 401 just past the westney road westbound on Ramp just sitting there. Extremely dark tints on the vehicle as well right?
    Not sure I will have to ask her if it had tinted windows.

Quote Originally Posted by El Zilcho View Post
    Don't know, thats what I was asking ???

Then you would have gotten charged and would have hard time explaining it. I think you are just joking...

3. For the purposes of section 172 of the Act, “stunt” includes any activity where one or more persons engage in any of the following driving behaviours:
    [...]
    8. Driving a motor vehicle without due care and attention, without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway or in a manner that may endanger any person by,
    [...]
    ii. stopping or slowing down a motor vehicle in a manner that indicates the driver’s sole intention in stopping or slowing down is to interfere with the movement of another vehicle by cutting off its passage on the highway or to cause another vehicle to stop or slow down in circumstances where the other vehicle would not ordinarily do so,
    I guess I won't be doing that anymore....

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post
    I have done that too....but in her case she felt it was better to accelerate and pull over to the right to let them by but didn't get a chance.

I'd give my left nut to catch that behavior on camera and youtube the mofo before the guy ended his shift

skylinegtr34

At least is the cops and not some gangs looking out to entrap her for money. For all you know, she could have ended up dead if it was some gang activity going on.

So be glad, just fight the ticket. The judge usually throw it out anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Car2Slo View Post

After owning many high powered vehicles that could simply walk away from 99% of GTA traffic I simply slow down my speed to a crawl if I'm tailgated. Of course if they pizz me off I also accelerate to the speed limit at the same rate they do when they try to pass, but I'm a azzhole that way.
    In this case, with a vehicle to the side, it would require that she slow down and then move over. Most prudent people will accelerate in order to get out of the way, if they are in the left lane, then slow back down to their original speed.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

What she should have done on the spot is ask him to call his superior and flip a dick... Since she hasn't done that I'd go to the station today and ask for someone in charge and let em have it...

Just want to warn everyone about the game the OPP likes playing.

Last night my wife was coming home from work and was travelling east on the 407 coming up to Brock Rd. As she approached the transponder gate she noticed a gold coloured SUV tail gating another car very agressively in the right lane.

In front of her there were 2 pick-up trucks and a civic and they were all travelling at approximately 105 to 110 km/hr. She started to slow down as she went through the transponder gate because the speed limit drops to 80.

The 2 trucks infront of her accelerate and switch into the right lane just then the gold SUV swerves into her lane behind her and almost take the back of her car off. The SUV proceeds to tailgate her to the point that she could not see the head lights of the SUV.

She said that she felt scared because this guy almost hit her and because of how close he was driving to her. Feeling scared for her safety she said she accelerated to place some distance between herself and the SUV who also accelerated and stayed right on her bumper. She wanted to get to an opening to get to the right lane and let this guy through but when she did get to the opening the SUV put his lights on and pulled her over.

Underecover gold SUV with absolutely no markings on it.

He gave her a ticket for doing 120 in an 80 zone. No radar, and he only paced her, if you can call it that, for a few 100 feet.

Funny how if anyone else did what this cop did, driving agressively, tailgating etc, they would probably get nailed with the stunting law and have their car impounded.

I told her to fight it and sat her down in front of the computer and had her write everything out and then draw diagrams of what happened so she would have a record of it.

She is going to arrange to go get a court date and then we will take the necessary steps to get the disclosure etc and hire a lawyer.

Couldn't this be considered entrapment ?

So if your on the 407 look out for the OPP in a gold unmarked SUV.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    In this case, with a vehicle to the side, it would require that she slow down and then move over. Most prudent people will accelerate in order to get out of the way, if they are in the left lane, then slow back down to their original speed.
    I'm not sure the prudent move is to accelerate over the speed limit to a possibly unsafe speed (120 on an off-ramp??) and get out of the way. That might be most common move though! I would simply go my speed and ignore the person behind me. I couldn't care less if they're tailgating me.

Having said that, I'm sure those tactics aren't approved by higher levels in the OPP. Write a letter of complaint. I'm sure there is another side to this of course.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Don't know, thats what I was asking ???
    Sorry, I missed that question.

In my opinion supported by limited knowledge, if the law enforcement provokes you to do something illegal that you wouldn't have done otherwise, it qualifies as an entrapment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entrapment#Canada

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    The second form of entrapment occurs when the police go beyond merely providing an opportunity to commit an offence, and instead actually induce the commission of the offence. Some factors a court may consider when deciding whether police have induced the offence include the type of crime being investigated, whether an average person would have been induced, the persistence and number of attempts made by the police, the type of inducement used (e.g. fraud, deceit, reward), and the existence of express or implied threats.
    Last edited by El Zilcho; 09-11-2008 at 02:47 PM.

I don't know the procedures, but I would want to file a formal complaint about the actions of the officer.

A the same time, reporting this incident to the various newspapers wouldn't hurt.

..Tom
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

well, i've had a lot of tailgaters, or trailers i call them on the highway when im in my cage...if i get the ****** with highbeams or cyclops that likes to sit RIGHT behind me, i just take my foot off the gas until he changes lanes and goes around me...sometimes it gets stupid because i will have to slow to about 50-60 before they pass...but it's their *** if they get hit, and i ain't risking my insurance to speed up...it's a different situation for a lot of people, some people don't wanna risk getting rear ended and so start to panic a little, but what do you do...im in the right line, im doing the limit, there are two other lanes, use them...i hate tailgaters...i hate it when cops do it to...they should know better...