203 doing something good!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 203 doing something good!

203 doing something good!

I know people are still going to complain and argue about this stupid law...but in this case, i completely agree...soccer mom blowing through a school zone...feel free to debate, argue, and bash the police for the next 14 pages

Speeder Charged For Allegedly Doing More Than 100 In School Zone

Thursday September 4, 2008
    CityNews.ca Staff
    With kids heading back to school this week, we've been warning drivers to take it easy in school zones or face hefty penalties.
    But at least one Toronto driver apparently wasn't listening.
    It's alleged that on Thursday morning, Traffic Services officers conducting speed enforcement in the Mt. Pleasant and Elm Avenue area spotted a Volvo driven by a woman that was clocked at 101 kilometres an hour in a designated school zone.
    The posted speed limit in the area is just 50 km/hr.
    For doing double that, the driver was stopped and is now without a car or her license for seven days.

Sergeant Steve O'Donovan of Traffic Service's Reconstruction Unit was presented with this information and asked to show what this speed represents.

He found that:

• at 101 km/h, the car is moving at just over 28 metres per second
    • using three-quarters of a second to perceive a hazard, and three-quarters of a second to react to that hazard, the car would travel 42 metres before the brakes were applied
    • assuming that the road is an average dry asphalt road, the car would not stop under full braking for another 53.54 metres
    • in total, it would take approximately 95.54 metres to bring that vehicle to a stop.
    • That distance is roughly the equivalent of a football field.

"This type of behaviour from a driver falls somewhere between astounding and mind-boggling," said Superintendent Earl Witty. "How any person can endanger the lives of themselves and others by driving in such a manner during rush hour, in a school zone and in the urban traffic environment that is Toronto, defies all logic."

Re: 203 doing something good!

Yeah, I was driving up Brimley yesterday and there was a speed trap just after the bridge over the 401..I thought, that's interesting..then 100 yds further on, a school with all the kids lined up on the front sidewalk going for a little field trip. I have no problem with that. Some things are a little more important than doing 50 over..
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

yea i hit that birimley trap alot, hit er last night on the way to cycleworld..

they are ALWAYS doing radar in that exact spot

this is where they should be targetign this law.
    IN the citys .
    not on the highways.
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

That is going way to fast especially in a school zone but this one will be added to the total numbers of street racing and the media will just report another street racer.

That being said im glad that this person got caught.

Quote Originally Posted by mauroACM View Post
    I know people are still going to complain and argue about this stupid law...but in this case, i completely agree...soccer mom blowing through a school zone...feel free to debate, argue, and bash the police for the next 14 pages

Speeder Charged For Allegedly Doing More Than 100 In School Zone

Thursday September 4, 2008
    CityNews.ca Staff
    With kids heading back to school this week, we've been warning drivers to take it easy in school zones or face hefty penalties.
    But at least one Toronto driver apparently wasn't listening.
    It's alleged that on Thursday morning, Traffic Services officers conducting speed enforcement in the Mt. Pleasant and Elm Avenue area spotted a Volvo driven by a woman that was clocked at 101 kilometres an hour in a designated school zone.
    The posted speed limit in the area is just 50 km/hr.
    For doing double that, the driver was stopped and is now without a car or her license for seven days.

Sergeant Steve O'Donovan of Traffic Service's Reconstruction Unit was presented with this information and asked to show what this speed represents.
    He found that:

• at 101 km/h, the car is moving at just over 28 metres per second
    • using three-quarters of a second to perceive a hazard, and three-quarters of a second to react to that hazard, the car would travel 42 metres before the brakes were applied
    • assuming that the road is an average dry asphalt road, the car would not stop under full braking for another 53.54 metres
    • in total, it would take approximately 95.54 metres to bring that vehicle to a stop.
    • That distance is roughly the equivalent of a football field.
    "This type of behaviour from a driver falls somewhere between astounding and mind-boggling," said Superintendent Earl Witty. "How any person can endanger the lives of themselves and others by driving in such a manner during rush hour, in a school zone and in the urban traffic environment that is Toronto, defies all logic."
    Laws previous to HTA 172, would have covered this infraction appropriately. There is absolutely no reason for police to confiscate property(baring it not being evidence) before a judge hears the charge in court.

Do you know who she is? Nothing in the article indicates that she was a soccer mom. For all we know it could have been your girlfriend...

Please refrain from injecting such terms into your commentary unless you know it for a fact (as much as being a soccer mom can be a matter of a fact...)
    Last edited by El Zilcho; 09-05-2008 at 09:17 AM.

So what does this have to do with bill 203.She was just an idiot and deserved to get nailed.A school zone is very different than 150 on a 400 series highway.

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    So what does this have to do with bill 203.She was just an idiot and deserved to get nailed.A school zone is very different than 150 on a 400 series highway.
    That's the point...for once they didnt post about some guy on the 407 getting nailed...

Sorry, I don't agree that penalties before a finding of guilt are good. If this "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!" incident was that bad, then we have a criminal charge called "Dangerous operation of a vehicle" that could have been applied.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
    Ok. What about 243 on a 400 series highway?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Sorry, I don't agree that penalties before a finding of guilt are good. If this "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!" incident was that bad, then we have a criminal charge called "Dangerous operation of a vehicle" that could have been applied.
    yep....previous laws were more than sufficient...

before 203
    1) she gets a massive speeding ticket (3+ points)
    2) she gets a careless driving charge (6 points)

or
    1) she gets a massive speeding ticket (3+ points)
    2) she gets a criminal charge of dangerous driving (foobar)

****** bags like her were getting bent way over with previous laws....and she would have made the headlines regardless

only difference now is she's lost her car and more money, and the Police/media use her stupidity to defend a Police State-like law......the "racing charge" carries the same points as a careless charge but the fines are bigger.....and with HTA172, the coppers avoid laying a criminal charge which would have been applicable here

for the OP to consider this as "203 doing something good"....is utter crap

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post

for the OP to consider this as "203 doing something good"....is utter crap
    Not that i disagree with the points you made...my stand is this...

Everyone complains about this "law" - i don't agree with it either...what are you doing about it? besides Complaining about it online and signing petitions that aren't doing anything (thanks to whoever set it up - hopefully its helping).

I highly doubt the Fantino and crew are reading GTAM.com to see how displeased people are...

Again, i dont agree with this law, but im glad someone who deserved it got caught...but to your points, Dangerous would have been better in this case...

51 kmh's over in a school zone -car taken away so are her Canadian charter rights.

49 kmh's over- she keeps her car and is presumed innocent until proven guillty.

Something wrong eh?

If she struck a kid in the school zone at 49 or 51km/h over the limit the outcome would be the same.

Not that i disagree with the points you made...my stand is this...

Everyone complains about this "law" - i don't agree with it either...what are you doing about it? hmmm...quite a bit actually besides Complaining about it online and signing petitions that aren't doing anything (thanks to whoever set it up - hopefully its helping). you're welcome

I highly doubt the Fantino and crew are reading GTAM.com to see how displeased people are...

the media read this site constantly - trust me

Again, i dont agree with this law, but im glad someone who deserved it got caught...but to your points, Dangerous would have been better in this case...
    203 has done nothing good - and if your "stand" is to do the typical Canadian 'oh well....let's make the best of it now"......then you deserve the rest of your very valuable rights to be wiped by these outta control Politicians preying on the gravestones thrown at them by a miniscule group of irrational and irate people

have you visited your MPP yet?.......how many times?

Quote Originally Posted by Englishj View Post
    51 kmh's over in a school zone -car taken away so are her Canadian charter rights.

49 kmh's over- she keeps her car and is presumed innocent until proven guillty.

Something wrong eh?

If she struck a kid in the school zone at 49 or 51km/h over the limit the outcome would be the same.
    again - i don't agree with the law...if i had my way, id make her push her car to the impound lot along with a Dang. Driving charge...

203 has done nothing good - and if your "stand" is to do the typical Canadian 'oh well....let's make the best of it now"......then you deserve the rest of your very valuable rights to be wiped by these outta control Politicians preying on the gravestones thrown at them by a miniscule group of irrational and irate people

have you visited your MPP yet?.......how many times?
    I'm aware 203 hasn't done anything good...and i've talked to many a person, including my MPP, staff Sargents of the traffic divisions, etc. I get the same BS answers from all of them...

As one person, seems like me saying anything is pointless...if something was planned to go as a giant group (im sure there are more people against this law than for it) i would be there for sure...

the media read this site constantly - trust me
    Yup, I'm reading it all right now

As one person, seems like me saying anything is pointless...if something was planned to go as a giant group (im sure there are more people against this law than for it) i would be there for sure...
    just keep saying it.....cause every week theres another 100 or so people that will be agreeing with you......apparently, there's a woman in Leaside with a Volvo in the pound that's probably feeling a little violated at the moment

does she deserve a penalty for blowing a 50 zone at twice the limit?....you bet.....after due process

I'm aware 203 hasn't done anything good...and i've talked to many a person, including my MPP, staff Sargents of the traffic divisions, etc. I get the same BS answers from all of them...

Initially at least, I believe that a large number of individuals raising the negative points about HTA 172 is far more effective than some moderate sized gathering of "frothing at the mouth zealots and criminals", as they would be painted by the media.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde