Help!! Forks of the Credit Rd and Hockley Road

Thread: Help!! Forks of the Credit Rd and Hockley Road

GiddyupDesi

Help!! Forks of the Credit Rd and Hockley Road

i'll be riding this for the first time this weekend with some beginner riders.

Which direction is best to try it out for the first time for newbies?

Forks of the Credit Road. towards Belfountain or away from Belfountain.

Hockley Rd. Orangeville to Loretto? or Loretto towards Orangeville?

gratitude to the more experienced riders for sharing information.

Re: Help!! Forks of the Credit Rd and Hockley Road

I'd say towards Belfountain. It's more uphill that way, meaning new riders won't be using their brakes while leaned over in a curve.

Hockley's not as technical, both directions will be okay for newbs.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

I would say just take it easy you will be fine either way

There's hills and blind crests all through there, I don't really think its any safer one way or the other. Just use common sense and go through there sedately, esp. if its your first time and your a newbie. As you get more familiar with it and know the corners better, you'll pick up speed naturally. For Hockley Valley, the elevation of the road slopes more uphill if you start at Loretto and head to Orangeville. That's where I'd start. Watch for gravel/road debris though esp. at the cross streets and in corners, most of those corners are higher speeds and any momentary loss of traction is definitely gonna hurt. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post
    I'd say towards Belfountain. It's more uphill that way, meaning new riders won't be using their brakes while leaned over in a curve.

I agree, the first couple of times I went to Forks I went towards Belfountain and it was easier and more confidence inspiring as a new rider.

weekend riding on those roads? keep it close to the limit... lots o' pork in the area

The Forks hairpin is easier uphill than down hill so I suggest going from Hwy 10 to Belfountain.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by sportbiker_kev View Post

I would agree, although riding down that big hill towards Hockley Valley from the south is a bit unnerving for the first timer
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

It is almost always easier to take tight turns going uphill as easing off the gas and gravity will slow you down fairly quickly in an emergency. That gravity thing will work against you and you'd have to rely on braking in an emergency going down hill.
    My vote would be Forks - East to West.
    Hockley - makes no difference the hills and corners are equal either way.

Just remember, neither road is a very good substitute for a race track. Especially on the weekends.

Quote Originally Posted by GiddyupDesi View Post
    i'll be riding this for the first time this weekend with some beginner riders.

Which direction is best to try it out for the first time for newbies?
    i plan on hitting these roads tomorrow(Saturday), late mourning or early afternoon. i would ride along for sure as I love these roads and ride them frequently. msg me if you want to meet up. my bike is the one below....if you wer wondering. cheers
    MMmmm, 15k rpm feels goooood!!

i'll be up for this ride too, i dont mind leading, i've been there lots of times. its just the hair pin which will get you. slow down its all good.

EAST TO WEST - GO DOWNHILL. Beginners might stall, going uphill on that bendy bit, its easier going downhill, pull clutch in and modulate the break

Just though sheer luck, I've never ridden the FOTC road from east to west.
    My route just always seems to take me in the other direction.

because of that, I can't say which way is harder, but I bet the other direction is just as much fun.

I always make at least 2 runs, doesn't everyone? Takes more than an hour for me to get there so I make the most of it.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Quote Originally Posted by RetroGrouch View Post
    I always make at least 2 runs, doesn't everyone? Takes more than an hour for me to get there so I make the most of it.
    makes sense! .... i'm gonna do east to west in the morning, then west to east in the evening so i don't get the sun in my eyes .... or just go back n' forth 'round noon time!

I went there for the first time last weekend and noticed many riders extending themselves over the yellow line into oncoming traffic. In the turns it was usually their heads and in some cases most of the bike except for the wheels, and in the straight aways it was wide handle bars coming over the blind hills. I found the lanes narrower than usual, so just something to watch out for.

I went west to east BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by black_cloud View Post
    I went there for the first time last weekend and noticed many riders extending themselves over the yellow line into oncoming traffic. In the turns it was usually their heads and in some cases most of the bike except for the wheels, and in the straight aways it was wide handle bars coming over the blind hills. I found the lanes narrower than usual, so just something to watch out for.

I went west to east BTW.
    i used to do that. the turn after the forest is a sharp right.

i've learned now; many who go there are new

I went up bewteen hwy 10 and mississauga road today, nice twists hills galour, 150 degrees turns. The roads were good, but i would say watch out i managed to do the speed limit, and noticed the 2 opp crusiers up their, but they could have been their for the town festival that was going on

Newsflash: it's like that every weekend. It's a very popular spot for Sunday drivers.
    Try it during the week, mid-morning.

Quote Originally Posted by jforzag View Post
    I went up bewteen hwy 10 and mississauga road today, nice twists hills galour, 150 degrees turns. The roads were good, but i would say watch out i managed to do the speed limit, and noticed the 2 opp crusiers up their, but they could have been their for the town festival that was going on

yup just came back from the forks, lots of opp up there.