cam chain tensioner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: cam chain tensioner

cam chain tensioner

how long does it take to change the cam chain tensioner on a 2001 f4i, im a mechanic with all the tools, just wondering if i could do it before the end of the day?

Re: cam chain tensioner

Its a 1/2 hour job, you should be able to change 10 of them before the end of the day...

You can swap out the cam chain tensioner in roughly 2-3hrs (or less), depending on what tools you use and whether you're installing an OEM or aftermarket (adjustable) CCT. It's a simple job, just a pain in the ars due to the confined space, however, you being a mechanic should be more than used to this.

I would recommend though that you purchase a new OEM gasket and clean the boss sealing surface prior to installation.

COFFEEMAN690

I too am gonna do this over the winter also adjust the Valves I'm at 50,000km Question about the tensioner should I get the dealer one or a non Hydrulic tensioner manual tensioner??? ebay has some any dealers u know might carry this type???

Cheers

make model year, please ...

Some engines that have notoriously poor automatic tensioners (several generations of Honda CBR600's for example) have aftermarket manual tensioners readily available, and you can order them from ANY bike shop. In those cases, it's worth changing out, because if you install a new OEM tensioner, it's just going to fail again.

In other cases, you will have no choice, if a manual tensioner is not available. In many of those cases, there is no manual tensioner available because there is no reason to change out the original one. (Don't fix what isn't broken.)

Quote Originally Posted by COFFEEMAN690 View Post
    I too am gonna do this over the winter also adjust the Valves I'm at 50,000km Question about the tensioner should I get the dealer one or a non Hydrulic tensioner manual tensioner??? ebay has some any dealers u know might carry this type???

Cheers
    Some people swear by the aftermarket manual CCT's, other's feel the OEM hydraulic do the job just fine. Manual CCT's should eliminate any vibration/noise associated with the common OEM issue, but at the expense of ease of installation/risk of damage. You can't go wrong installing an OEM CCT but if you fail to install a manual CCT correctly, you could cause some serious damage.

I'm at 45K with an OEM CCT, have a spare APE manual CCT in my box of parts but don't feel the need to swap it out. Sure, it buzzes between 8000-9000rpm but if I'm riding in that rpm range, I don't sit there for very long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyP636 View Post
    Its a 1/2 hour job, you should be able to change 10 of them before the end of the day...
    Not on that bike.
    It will take about 20 min to get to it about 20 min to bolt on and set (*properly not by ear) and then 20 min to re fit airbox,tank and body.
    That bike has it notouriously close to the frame and the upper bolt is a b$tch.
    Still a simple job for anyone half way mechanical.

I stock them

Quote Originally Posted by COFFEEMAN690 View Post

Cheers
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Not on that bike.
    It will take about 20 min to get to it about 20 min to bolt on and set (*properly not by ear) and then 20 min to re fit airbox,tank and body.

What is the proper way to tension an manual CCT if not by ear?

so i should be able to have it done by in less than a day regardless. now are there any gaskets or anything i should be replacing while taking everything apart?

Quote Originally Posted by cbrguyf4i View Post
    so i should be able to have it done by in less than a day regardless. now are there any gaskets or anything i should be replacing while taking everything apart?
    There is a gasket and it comes with a fresh O-ring.
    Simple job with basic skills and it will take longer to get to it than to do it.

Damn you guys with small hands. I had to remove the throttle body to do it. Then I removed the cover and checked the chain tension and set the tensioner that way. All in all it took about 3-4 hours ... I'm getting slow as I get old.

p.s. go with a manual tensioner or you'll just be replacing the OEM one again and again.

ive heard they have an updated version of the oem tensioner, is this true and if so, is it any good?

Quote Originally Posted by cbrguyf4i View Post
    ive heard they have an updated version of the oem tensioner, is this true and if so, is it any good?
    Ive tried updated part number OEM tensioners and they were the same crap....2 weeks later the cam chain rattle came back....Waste of $160, when you cant get a manual one for $100 and it will never loosen up!

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Not on that bike.

you want close to a frame? try the 929 CCT change. 1 bolt, one minute, the bolt close to the frame, 1 hour, and thats just taking it off.

Quote Originally Posted by scarface View Post
    you want close to a frame? try the 929 CCT change. 1 bolt, one minute, the bolt close to the frame, 1 hour, and thats just taking it off.
    Agreed, done that one as well.

Ok, so I have taken my 03 CBR 600F4i out a few times recently and im getting a rattling noise coming from the body at about 5000-6000 rpms. From what i gather on the forums this is most likely my cam chain tensioner.

My question is... do i need to replace it right away? Or can i just leave it towards the end of the summer and just put up with the rattling? (im kinda low on $$$ at the moment)

If i do need to replace it what would be the most inexpensive method?
    Manual/automatic
    Aftermarket/OEM

A buzzing sound within a few rpm ranges is normal, however, you have to ask yourself if it sounds like a healthy buzz or an ill buzz. If the rattling is getting progressively worse then you may want to replace the CCT. I've owned two F4's and one F4i, all with stock CCT's... never a problem, only an annoying buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by markpim View Post
    Ok, so I have taken my 03 CBR 600F4i out a few times recently and im getting a rattling noise coming from the body at about 5000-6000 rpms. From what i gather on the forums this is most likely my cam chain tensioner.

My question is... do i need to replace it right away? Or can i just leave it towards the end of the summer and just put up with the rattling? (im kinda low on $$$ at the moment)

If i do need to replace it what would be the most inexpensive method?
    Manual/automatic
    Aftermarket/OEM
    Last edited by Teal; 04-15-2009 at 08:40 AM.

It takes about 10 minutes on my cbr1100xx, I get them for about 45 bucks US delivered. I usually keep a spare in stock.

A question since we are on the topic at hand. How do u know how tight to adjust it? How do I know its on the correct way and its not gonna give any long term damage?

cheers
    Resident Loudmouth