Toughest road you've ever ridden - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Toughest road you've ever ridden

Re: Toughest road you've ever ridden

cabot trail, had amazing weather, clean pavement, but couldn't let ur guard down, one mistake and u dive off the cliff. Pure fun though.

Can you please point out this road on google maps? I was raised on Rice Lake and am up there on occasion.

..Tom

edit: I found it. Is that the road that pretty much goes though a farm? I think I was on it last year at a class reunion held near Baltimore. It was fun last year (if it's the same rd.)

Quote Originally Posted by etonna View Post
    racetrack road in port hope, 1.5 lanes, blind corners, steep hills, pad pavment. i stumbled apon this using my gps to get to the 401 from rice lake last weekend, it was nuts
    Last edited by V-Tom; 09-06-2008 at 01:48 PM.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

new toughest road for me. markham/steeles to bathurst/steeles. usually pretty easy but today i wore briefs tha kept pinching my balls. if anybody noticed a rider fidgeting a lot while riding and at traffic lights...that would be me.

Not counting some dirtbike stuff I have done... D14 towards Col de Jau in the French Pyrenees. I'm glad I had a local in a car in front of me, because there were very tight turns with minimal visibility (vegetation was really thick) and the road was wide enough for one car comfortably..... but it was 2 way. There was no centre line... and the speed limit was 90kph (good luck). The car provided a huge safety net, since if he hit another car, I'd have enough time to stop. If there were no cars in front of me, then I can't control the speed of the approaching vehicle. I tell you though... after riding on that, every road that actually had marked lanes felt HUGE!!!

I'm with V-TOM on this one! http://tinyurl.com/58dhxj
    hard downhill decreasing radius switchbacks. I almost bought it on that road, but liked it so much went back and did it again.
    Last edited by 4badboyz; 12-17-2008 at 08:09 PM.

It sure was a wicked road!

With the rain and fog a lot of the fun was gone.. but you can bet when I head down there next I'm gong on that road.

BTW, your URL has an extra "I" in it.

The proper URL should be:

http://tinyurl.com/58dhxj

..Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 4badboyz View Post
    I'm with V-TOM on this one! http://tiniyurl.com/58dhxj
    hard downhill decreasing radius switchbacks. I almost bought it on that road, but liked it so much went back and did it again.
    2006 V-Strom DL650 * 202,000 km 125,500 miles * 2012 V-Strom DL650 *
    Ride Ride Ride!

Why Cars don't see bikes (SMIDSY)

SMIDSY detailed report

Toughest rd for me was without a doubt on the way to Eagle Canyon (Canada's longest suspension footbridge), On the way home from Thunder Bay, June 1st this year..

This RD - if you can call it a rd., is a red, dirt rd....

Conditions were 7 Deg. C, and pooring rain. (freeking cold when soaked)
    The Rd. surface had about a 1 inch super soft slushy dirt water mix on the top, and there was just no way to get traction.
    Felt more like the front tire was pushing through rather than rolling on.

longest 3 kms I've ever done.

The parking lot had a comparable good surface (larger rocks, less fine sand)

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    the 15 minute dirt road to get to my cottage. theres tons of hills and corners and messed up blind turns but the challenging part is the loose gravel at any speed its difficult seems the faster you go the easier it is. and at night if its foggy you will never get out alive......
    id say this is a difficult road concidering we fliped the civic

aaaaa *sigh*, my rally racing career finished before it even started lol.

dont forget my airborne rz lol.

Grimswald Pass in Switzerland. Great pavement, great scenery, dire consequences for any mistake and way too many opportunities for target fixation
    Now: 1998 ZZR600
    Then:
    1981 Yamaha MX80-J
    1999 Yamaha Fazer 600
    2001 aprilia RS250
    1999 ZZR600

The Blue Ridge Parkway and The Gap!!

Not only are the roads awesome (and one slip away from doom), ask Emvee about the carbon-based 4-legged life form obstacles!! hahaha
    "Just Follow Your Front Wheel...."

That hardest roads I've ridden so far are Flinton road, both at night and day, and the 506-509 route. I still have yet to find some twistier roads, but I need a sport bike first... My bike isn't exactly the best for these roads, but it's still fun.

This past weekend, I rode over 3200 kms to Indy and back. Took long way down Buffalo, then thru PA and OH, using as many twisty back roads as possible, and no Interstates until I hit Columbus OH.
    I rode two roads that were absolutely crazy, on my Gixxer with tail bag, saddlebags, tankbag, GPS/radar detector and touring screen.
    There is Zoar Valley Road in NY, south of Springfield....and it was paved, but so rough and bumpy, with jumps (literally airborne!!!!) and gullys, hills and humps, and foot deep potholes, cracks andcrevices, that it beat the crap out of me. It would be suitable for a dirt bike and that's it. I didnt see one house on that road. It was more like a paved cow trail.

The other road was route 666 in PA. It had one good section for a mile or two with new asphalt, but otherwise the road was terrible....as far as surface. It'd be a dream come true with a repaving though, as it is super twisty with nice elevation changes and little traffic. But as it is now you could have to change lines 2 or 3 times each turn to avoid huge potholes, chunks of broken asphalt, and really rough cold patch sections.
    Last edited by omnivore; 09-17-2008 at 11:31 PM.
    SOAR NOVICE#22
    www.bluestreakracing.ca
    http://www.platinum-powersports.com/indexx.php
    Honda Fireblade
    KTM 950 SM
    YZF 600R
    R6
    ---UNLIKE BASEBALL, FOOTBALL,BASKETBALL & GOLF, MOTORCYCLING REQUIRES 2 BALLS!---
    ---NEVER TRADE THE THRILLS OF LIVING FOR THE SECURITY OF EXISTENCE---
    ---"You can’t afford not to go. We are enmeshed in the cancerous discipline of security. Before we know it our lives are gone. Which shall it be: bankruptcy of purse or of life?" ---

Quote Originally Posted by omnivore View Post
    The other road was route 666 in PA.
    sounds pretty evil to me.i'd bet tha sucker was crazy just by the name.

When I rode up to James Bay this summer we had lots of potholes and heaves in the road that would throw you if you hit them. This wasn't the worst road though, when we got there we had 50 km's of twisty gravel road to ride. Some parts were loose, and some parts were more packed, some sections the road had a rut running lengthwise down the road, some sections had worn in ripples like speed bumps.

Would do it again in a minute.
    Keep the front wheel in the air and the shiny side up.

Guelph
    Past bikes-77 Yam YZ100, 80 Hon CR125, 84 Yam XT600, 86 Hon CR250, 87 Yam TW200, 03 Hon CBR954, 05 Busa
    Current bikes- 08 Busa, 06 Hon CRF50

Just discovered a little stretch of road between Bracebridge and Gravenhurst called #17. It runs just West of Highway 11 Past the rubber plant, before you actually get into town. The Golf course taboo is on the road, so it slows down to 50 as you approach. Lots of twisties, height differences, off camber turns. Ton 'o' fun.
    Ignorance is not bliss; Ignorance is just plain ignorance

I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter...

Quote Originally Posted by DRZX7R View Post
    Just discovered a little stretch of road between Bracebridge and Gravenhurst called #17. It runs just West of Highway 11 Past the rubber plant, before you actually get into town. The Golf course taboo is on the road, so it slows down to 50 as you approach. Lots of twisties, height differences, off camber turns. Ton 'o' fun.
    I love riding Southwood Muskoka Regional Road 13, then doing 118 through Bracebridge and down 17 "Muskoka Beach Road" back into Gravenhurst. I was on it Sunday afternoon on my KLR riding two up in my own slice of heaven. No chicken strips on my MT-21s.

Toughest is still Southwood Road. The road debris, frost heaves and traffic make it heart in your throat ride but Shannonville has run off and an ambulance with predictable traction.
    Last edited by Rotten_Ronnie; 10-13-2008 at 10:29 PM.

Ride Reports and other drivel
    '08 Suzuki DR650E
    '04 Kawasaki KLR 685 (For Sale)
    '05 Honda VFR800a Interceptor (SOLD)

'01 Suzuki Bandit GSF600s (what the deer left of it)
    '94 Suzuki GS500E (SOLD)
    MC Instructor www.LearningCurves.ca

Ahh, thanks for the reminder... never done this one on my bike but enjoyed it in the car. Hopefully the weather holds up so I can check this out before the end of the season.

I'm sure there are many undiscovered Muskoka roads that are lots 'o fun, especially with a dual-sport.

Just discovered a little stretch of road between Bracebridge and Gravenhurst called #17.
    Hey don't advertise this nicely kept secret or else there will be hordes of bikes burning through it every weekend. The tough part about this road is the change of lighting since a good part of it runs through a forest with lots of trees making a nice canopy and can get pretty dark even on a bright sunny day.
    "I got a new spleen from a guy who liked to ride motorcycles". Fry, Futurama

My bike is a video star! youtube.com/watch?v=Ju9caIDWQ40

Sulphur Springs+Crooks Hollow Rd from Ancaster to Dundas.
    Started riding it on my pedal bike, every corner I've known somebody who wrecked on it, and it still catches me out.

Deer, dirt, pheasants, turkeys & lane straddling Crown Vics....weeeeeeeeeeee.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400