Flushing Rad for a Track Day... What Water To use?

Thread: Flushing Rad for a Track Day... What Water To use?

2cents

Flushing Rad for a Track Day... What Water To use?

I hear boiled water, I hear distilled water, I hear water from your hose...

what water should I use to flush my coolant to prep for a track day? Also, what water to use IN the reservoir (mixed with Water Wetter) afterwards?

Thanks
    Last edited by 2cents; 08-31-2008 at 08:15 PM.

Re: Flushing Rad for a Track Day... What Water To use?

I would recommend using pre-treated/filtered water such as distilled water, which can be found at Canadian Tire in the coolant section. Get yourself a decent sized jug of distilled water, empty a bit out if necessary, then add the required amount of water wetter. Use this solution in the main system as well as the reservoir.

You can use regular tap water but it's much dirtier and can leave crap behind once evaporated... boiled water will be just as dirty, if not dirtier, unless filtered.

go to crappy tire. 1.99 for a jug of deionized water

The Twisties around Creemore on a '07 SV650S or on the Track on a '03 R6

De-Ionizing Water does not remove nonionic organic substances from the water.. Distilled Water is boiled and condensed, Distilling removes both ionic and nonionic organic contaminants from the water...

Use Distilled Water and Water Wetter for its anti corrosive properties and to lower the boiling point.. Also makes the engine run cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    Use Distilled Water and Water Wetter for its anti corrosive properties and to lower the boiling point.. Also makes the engine run cooler.
    +1 for distilled. Oh..did you mean raise the boiling point? And of course, Water Wetter has no anti-freeze qualities so you much change it out for the colder weather. Hopefully that's common knowledge, but it's worth repeating I suppose.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

Distilled + water wetter, you can leave it in all summer and my bike actually runns cooler

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    So it actually changes the temperature that the thermostat opens/closes at?

Andrew
    '05 CB919 and '04 CB599 shared with the missus (Jenerator)

Quote Originally Posted by SLIM View Post
    So it actually changes the temperature that the thermostat opens/closes at?

No..but once your thermostat fully opens at 70C or so, your cooling system is on its own. It's not uncommon for the bike to be running anywhere from 70C to 100C depending on speed etc. Water wetter (claims) to bring that running temperature down a bit.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

You can get 4L jugs of distilled water at any pharmacy. Cheap.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

You can flush the rad with tap water from your hose until there is no trace of coolant in it ( it may take a couple of minutes) then once it is flushed fill the rad with distilled water ($.99 at A&P for 4L) and water wetter. Your bike will run at a lower temp with the distilled water and water wetter.
    ROADRASH - A mid winter skin condition caused by the stress of not riding my bike!!
    http://madleyphotography.com

Where do you flush the coolant? Down the drain? Or will Canadian Tire accept it?

water wetter is an additive that lowers the surface tension of water. this in turns allows for your rad to absorb more heat due to the increased transfer of heat. just make sure your moving, or your fan is working.

really and truly, water wetter + water will cool about 1 degree colder than water alone and several degrees cooler than antifreeze. OR you can add WW in your antifreeze. its really up to you.

if your gonna track the bike, just use distilled water. you dont need WW (imo). unless you got $15 lying around you wanan burn then add it. if your doing alot more stop and go where you want to dissipate more heat, then add WW.

if you got $15, try it. if you dont notice a difference. then next time save your $15.

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Where do you flush the coolant? Down the drain? Or will Canadian Tire accept it?
    i would bring it to your nearest transfer station. the same place where they take your old oils. down the drain is illegal and its bad for the environment, since this stuff is water soluble.

Quote Originally Posted by soulibrium View Post
    water wetter is an additive that lowers the surface tension of water.
    if you got $15, try it. if you dont notice a difference. then next time save your $15.
    1 bottle of WW is enough for 3-4 radiator fill-ups (i.e. 3-4 years). Not exactly a great expense.

Don't forget to keep the anti-freeze when you drain it, so that you can refill the cooling system over the winter.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilk View Post
    1 bottle of WW is enough for 3-4 radiator fill-ups (i.e. 3-4 years). Not exactly a great expense.

Don't forget to keep the anti-freeze when you drain it, so that you can refill the cooling system over the winter.

/rs
    Forgive my ignorance, but how bad is it just to drain out the water/ww in the winter leaving it empty?

Quote Originally Posted by nokturnal View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but how bad is it just to drain out the water/ww in the winter leaving it empty?
    In theory, it shouldn't be too bad, but I personally wouldn't do that in fear that the seals associated with the cooling system (water pump for example) will dry up, which could lead to a greater susceptibility to leakage.

Quote Originally Posted by Flywheel View Post
    Put it in a silver bowl with some Milk-Bones beside it, and get rid of the neighbor's dog barking. How's that for two birds with one stone.

LOL, kidding...maybe
    DUNLOP GP-A Trackday Special !! 219.99$ a set!