Spec tires in Motogp - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spec tires in Motogp

Re: Spec tires in Motogp

Quote Originally Posted by Kaotic Trance View Post
    michelin was only better because they were on the best bike and rider/crew chief out there (rossi/burgess with honda and yamaha)

they're a reactive company whereas bridgestone is proactive, it's understandable that they might have problems the first year the tire rule came out, but they've had a year to work out any flaws so they shouldn't have any excuses. it's not even that their tires are just marginally worse, at laguna and brno they were exponentially worse.
    I can't recall any other ever winning or being in the top 3 in motogp other than Michelin for a very long time....when Rainey, Doohan etc what were they on?

I think they were very dependent on bringing in tires at the last minute on Saturday etc, whereas Bridgestone has never done that in the several years they have been in motogp.
    It looks like its tough to just switch the process.

looks like a spec tires is almost a certainty...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...yres-for-2009/

looks like a spec tires is almost a certainty...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...yres-for-2009/
    "Single tire supplier" not "spec tire"

Big difference.
    "I think you'll like Mat Mladin--if he's on your side. If he's not on your side--you don't like Mat Mladin." - Bob Hanna
    http://www.goloracing.com

Grand Prix Commission decides on single tyre rule for 2009
    Sunday, 28 September 2008

In a meeting at the Motegi circuit on Sunday morning the Grand Prix Commission decided unanimously that there will be a single tyre supplier in the MotoGP class as of 2009.

http://www.motogp.com/en/news/2008/G...+rule+for+2009

I completely disagree with this move.

Motogp is supposed to be the testing ground for many different manufacturers' products and prototype equipment.

Having one tire manufacturer is effectively spec tire.

They say safety etc. - This is a cash grab and nothing more.

Nites

Quote Originally Posted by NiteshadeTA View Post
    I completely disagree with this move.

Motogp is supposed to be the testing ground for many different manufacturers' products and prototype equipment.

Having one tire manufacturer is effectively spec tire.

They say safety etc. - This is a cash grab and nothing more.

Nites
    I completely disagree, it's not a cash grab, the racers want this to make the racing more level... michelin has slowly been losing riders and manufacturers because their tires haven't been up to the same level the 'Stones have... there's only 6 Michelin riders left and only 2 of them factory.

I don't think having one tire manufacturer is going to hurt Motogp, just look at WSBK, the racing is awesome there.

Well, this wasn't quite going to be the case. Just before the single source announcement was made, Ducati was moving all five of their bikes to michelin. Which is like 25% of the paddock. It's the same old reason, if you have the same tires as Rossi, you likely aren't going to beat him. Plus michelin was getting it right near the end. Next year they would have had Stoner and Hayden developing bike/tires on the ducs, Jorge with the M1, and possibly Dovi with the Honda, (although I think he was going to BS's)

Now if everyone is on the same tires as Rossi (and lets face it, Rossi is going to get the best of the best). No one is going to beat him.

michelin has slowly been losing riders and manufacturers because their tires haven't been up to the same level the 'Stones have... there's only 6 Michelin riders left and only 2 of them factory.

Quote Originally Posted by TBK View Post
    Well, this wasn't quite going to be the case. Just before the single source announcement was made, Ducati was moving all five of their bikes to michelin. Which is like 25% of the paddock. It's the same old reason, if you have the same tires as Rossi, you likely aren't going to beat him. Plus michelin was getting it right near the end. Next year they would have had Stoner and Hayden developing bike/tires on the ducs, Jorge with the M1, and possibly Dovi with the Honda, (although I think he was going to BS's)

Now if everyone is on the same tires as Rossi (and lets face it, Rossi is going to get the best of the best). No one is going to beat him.
    Michelin came in 4th in Motegi, that's called getting it right? They've had their chance to get it right all year but it hasn't really happened...

maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Rossi is getting better tires than Stoner or Pedrosa, and if either of them are going to beat him, they'll have to do it the old fashion way... with skills and bravery.

4th after a drought of solid finishes is a definite step in the right direction for a tough year for Michelin.

Just because a tire supplier isn't doing very well, doesn't mean the series organizer can justify singling out the tire competition.

Lets all remember, it SHOULD be the RIDER/TEAM's decision as to what they want to run. NOT a third party.

Again, this is a prototype and development series. Why in the world would it be considered competitive if only one brand is offering products?

Heck, lets just make every rider ride on the same bike - lets choose the bike with the most wins or top 3 finishes for the year, and everyone can ride that bike, using that fuel, with that brand of leathers, helmets etc etc. It's silly logic to single out a brand just because it does well for a number of riders for a portion of a season.

Screw this safety and pricing argument. The bikes are top notch and solid race machines. Price? The bikes are worth more than 1Mil. Riders salaries can get above 3 and 4 times the cost of the bike. Cost isn't the issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP3uzat2hEY

You can see what Chris Vermulen thinks about Spec tires.

Michelin came in 4th in Motegi, that's called getting it right? They've had their chance to get it right all year but it hasn't really happened...

maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think Rossi is getting better tires than Stoner or Pedrosa, and if either of them are going to beat him, they'll have to do it the old fashion way... with skills and bravery.
    Granted, tough year, but look at Gorge, his qualifying at Motegi was brilliant. He was running down Pedrosa at the end. And turning lap times as quick or quicker than Stoner.

Someone else mentioned, a single source is not a "spec" tire. If there is development allowed, this means you have to have tire techs in the garage, and work with the teams in off season. So will a single source prevent a catastophe like Michelin's performance early in the season, yes. Will it ensure everyone has the same tire? I doubt it. Even the current bridgestones are not all equal. Most of the non factory Bridgestone teams are struggling with setup so they can run the same front as Rossi and Stoner.

A single supplier pretty much is a spec tire. They get a limited choice of compounds to choose from? If that's the difference, then that's semantics.

one riders soft is not the same as another riders soft. every compound is different for every rider and machine in motogp. reguardless of who makes it. unlike wsbk that pirelli gives them all the same soft, medium... ex... single supplier does not meen spec tire in that class.

It worked in WSBK I hope in MotoGP it has the same results

its a tough choice... tire spec would make it a better race but I like to see new and better things developed every year... hmmm.... im on the wire on this one?

Rossi's crew chief Jeremy Burgess gives his thoughts about the single tyre rule

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...?&R=EPI-103224

Burgess makes some good points. I think if they left it the way it is, eventually the racing would even out a bit, at least as far as difference in tires is concerned. Ezpeletas excuse that the decision was made for safety reasons is BS IMO. I think it's a knee jerk reaction. Michelin was on top for years and now Bstone is. Thats the way it goes in racing when there's competition. The single tire rule will improve the show right away, but I think if they keep things the way they are, eventually things would even out and the competition would be no worse then it will be with a single tire rule. When you continually change things, there will always be those who adapt quicker then others. I think leaving things alone and letting Michelin catch up would be better for racing in the long run. Remember, if MotoGP had gone with a single tire rule years ago, it would be Michelin that would have got the contract and Bstones would not be where they are and subsequently pushed Michelin to improve as much as they have. Competition fueling tire development is a huge advantage for all of us who ride. Ezpeleta is in a tough spot though, because he has to satisfy sponsors and attract new ones, and in recent years MotoGP racing has been labeled "boring" by some. Remember last year when the KR team couldn't find sponsors? They weren't the only team struggling to find sponsorship, despite it's popularity in other parts of the world. Ezpeleta is trying to make the racing more exciting ASAP to improve sponsorship and revenue, at the cost of tire development.

They should go to Goodyears or some hard as a hockey puck tire to make the racing interesting like it use to be in the late 80's when everyone was sliding around like crazy!

The one thing that truely amazed me being away from racing for 10 years when I came back are the tires WOW! I thought the D364 was a good tire. I have used the same set of slicks on my 250 for 1-1/2 years (about 6 or 7 trackdays) and I can't believe how well they work! 10 or 15 years ago that wouldn't have been possible.

havin_fun

Looks like it's all over but the screaming...

Michelin not bidding on MotoGP "control tire"
    http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=34547
    http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto..._tyre_bid.html

Bridgestone's bid is in...
    http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=34541
    http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...confirmed.html

Some riders like the idea... like they have a choice
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/71118
    Last edited by havin_fun; 10-04-2008 at 12:54 PM.