Suspended lisence?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suspended lisence?

zx82

Suspended lisence?

I should have created one thread with all my questions but new ones keep popping in my head.

Anyways, 4 years ago I received a speeding ticket which I neglected to pay. In all honestly I completely forgot to pay it, received a letter notifying me that my license would be suspended if i I did not pay it by a certain date and even though I ended up paying it online the day before that date my license was still suspended. Anyways I decided not to fight it since it was my original fault for not paying it promptly, and paid to have my license re-instated.

Now I've noticed on a lot of these places that provide online quotes they ask whether your license has been suspended recently? But I assume what they are looking for is suspensions for doing stupid things like drunk driving or too many points, not for neglecting to pay a ticket. Am I correct in assuming this won't count against me when I look for insurance?

Re: Suspended lisence?

suspended is suspended regardless of the cause.
    x

Banned

medical suspensions are the only ones that dont count AFAIK

zx82

Yeah I did some more digging and you are both correct. It's just frustrating that an honest (albeit stupid) mistake like that 4 years ago is going to affect my insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by zx82 View Post
    Yeah I did some more digging and you are both correct. It's just frustrating that an honest (albeit stupid) mistake like that 4 years ago is going to affect my insurance.
    Yes, this suspension will negatively impact you; however, I don't think it will have the same impact as a suspension for a more serious reason (such as DUI).

Your best bet is to call and agent/broker and ask them, as different companies might treat the suspension in a different manner. Having a suspension on your record may/may not deem you ineligible to purchase insurance with some companies.

I guess your lesson learned is to pay your tickets on time. I know it is too late now, but you probably should have contested the suspension if you indeed paid your ticket on time as you mentioned.

Cheers!

just don't mention the suspension, let them look it up, i did the same thing a while back and forgot about a fine for not signing my ownership...went to get my stickers one day and found out my license was suspended...they sent me all over town to get it fixed...anyways, it doesn't affect me and doesn't seem to show up...so i ain't worried about it...

Quote Originally Posted by VifferFun View Post
    Yes, this suspension will negatively impact you; however, I don't think it will have the same impact as a suspension for a more serious reason (such as DUI).

Your best bet is to call and agent/broker and ask them, as different companies might treat the suspension in a different manner. Having a suspension on your record may/may not deem you ineligible to purchase insurance with some companies.

I guess your lesson learned is to pay your tickets on time. I know it is too late now, but you probably should have contested the suspension if you indeed paid your ticket on time as you mentioned.

Cheers!
    Wow.. for someone that helps "set rates" you think you would have a better grasp of the rules and guidelines in place for that rating process...

It's a little disheartening to say the least...

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/english/PU...06/a-04_06.asp

An Administrative Lapse or a Suspension of a Driver's Licence

To the attention of all insurance companies licensed
    to transact automobile insurance in Ontario

With this Bulletin, the Financial Services Commission of Ontario (FSCO) is describing its policy on the use, for underwriting purposes, of an administrative lapse or a suspension of a driver’s licence, where the lapse or suspension is not connected to driving offence convictions.

Insurers may continue to use suspensions as a result of a driving offence conviction as currently filed.

An Administrative Lapse or a Suspension of a Driver’s Licence

An administrative lapse or a suspension of a driver’s licence is a documented driver’s licence lapse for administrative or medical reasons that are not connected to driving offence convictions. Reasons can include non-renewal or expiry of a driver’s licence due to a consumer’s oversight, temporary medical conditions, unpaid parking tickets, outstanding support payments to the Family Responsibility Office or outstanding payment to the Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Fund. An Administrative Driver’s Licence Suspension (ADLS) is also considered an administrative lapse because there is no driving offence conviction connected with the suspension. The new policy is to ensure that future rating of short term administrative lapse or suspension of a driver’s licence is supported by actuarial evidence.

Risk Classification Systems

If the length of an administrative lapse or suspension of a driver’s licence is under one year, an insurer is not permitted to use the lapse or suspension in its risk classification system. For example, an administrative lapse or suspension of a driver’s licence for less than one year must not affect an individual’s driving record or the number of years licensed for the purposes of rating.
    When the length of an administrative lapse or suspension of a driver’s licence is between 12 and 36 months, an insurer is permitted to use the lapse or suspension as part of its risk classification system. However, the insurer must submit a rate filing with actuarial evidence to FSCO justifying the proposed rating rules. The rate filing will be subject to the normal review and approval process. Otherwise, use of an administrative lapse or suspension of a driver’s licence between 12 and 36 months will not be permitted for the purposes of rating.
    If the length of an administrative lapse or a suspension of a driver’s licence is more than 36 months, an insurer is permitted to file rules to use the lapse or suspension of a driver’s licence as part of its risk classification system without additional actuarial evidence although the rules must meet the statutory criteria for approval. For example, an insurer may consider the period of time during which the licence has lapsed or been suspended for the purposes of rating.
    Years Licensed During Administrative Lapse or Suspension

During an administrative lapse or suspension, the number of years the driver is considered to be licensed does not increase. For example, a driver who has been licensed for four years and then has an administrative lapse of two years would be considered as having been licensed for four years.
    Underwriting Rules

With respect to the use of administrative lapse or a suspension of a driver’s licence in underwriting, it is FSCO's position that the length of time and the frequency of administrative lapses of a driver’s licence should not be considered at all. The only exception is where the named insured and all drivers listed on a policy are unlicensed for any reason, including an administrative lapse. An application or renewal may be refused on these grounds where the rule has been filed with FSCO.
    Filings Required

Insurers currently using administrative lapses or suspensions of drivers’ licences as part of their underwriting rules and risk classification systems are required to review their current practices immediately. If this review reveals that the insurer's current underwriting rules and/or rating rules are not consistent with this bulletin, the company is required to file new underwriting rules and/or rating rules to ensure that they are consistent with this bulletin.
    Filings must be submitted to FSCO for review and approval no later than October 16, 2006.
    Contact Information

Should you have any questions, please contact your rate analyst in the Automobile Insurance Services Branch in FSCO.

Bob Christie
    Chief Executive Officer and
    Superintendent of Financial Services
    August 18, 2006
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by DucDic View Post
    just don't mention the suspension, let them look it up, i did the same thing a while back and forgot about a fine for not signing my ownership...went to get my stickers one day and found out my license was suspended...they sent me all over town to get it fixed...anyways, it doesn't affect me and doesn't seem to show up...so i ain't worried about it...
    This might work if you are renewing insurance, because the company may not have ordered a Motor Vehicle Report from the MTO since you are already insured by them.

In the case of the original poster, it sounds like he is not currently insured, and is looking to purchase a new policy. In his situation, they will, without a doubt, order a Motor Vehicle Report prior to insuring him, and the suspension will show up.

If you tell your insurance company they you were not suspended when you knew that you were, this could be a case of misrepresentation; get caught for this and you insurance premiums might rise yet again. For the original poster, it is inevitable that your new insurance company is going to find out about your suspension, so just be honest with your agent/broker and save yourself the hassle.

Cheers!

This might work if you are renewing insurance, because the company may not have ordered a Motor Vehicle Report from the MTO since you are already insured by them.

In the case of the original poster, it sounds like he is not currently insured, and is looking to purchase a new policy. In his situation, they will, without a doubt, order a Motor Vehicle Report prior to insuring him, and the suspension will show up.

If you tell your insurance company they you were not suspended when you knew that you were, this could be a case of misrepresentation; get caught for this and you insurance premiums might rise yet again. For the original poster, it is inevitable that your new insurance company is going to find out about your suspension, so just be honest with your agent/broker and save yourself the hassle.

Cheers!
    Beside... they are NOT allowed to use it in their rating matrix...

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Wow.. for someone that helps "set rates" you think you would have a better grasp of the rules and guidelines in place for that rating process...

It's a little disheartening to say the least...

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/english/PU...06/a-04_06.asp
    Hey Eastcoast, I never did say I was perfect. I said I *help* set rates, not that I do it completely on my own. You really think I have a poor grasp on the topic of insurance due to this one mishap? The area of suspensions is handled by someone else at my company, and I actually didn't know that FSCO had this rule in place. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm glad to see that someone is doing some investigation of their own.

With that being said, I have been explaining a lot of topics over the last month, and I am bound to slip up every once in a while.

Cheers!

Hey Eastcoast, I never did say I was perfect. I said I *help* set rates, not that I do it completely on my own. You really think I have a poor grasp on the topic of insurance due to this one mishap? The area of suspensions is handled by someone else at my company, and I actually didn't know that FSCO had this rule in place. Thanks for pointing it out. I'm glad to see that someone is doing some investigation of their own.

With that being said, I have been explaining a lot of topics over the last month, and I am bound to slip up every once in a while.

Cheers!
    Hey, maybe it was kept from you on purpose. Those tie wearing execs have been know to be a shady bunch at times.

I just thought it was strange that you said you help set rates for major insurers, and you were not aware of this.

This is a pretty big deal IMO. I got burned when I moved to ON from NL due to this. I got a 10 over ticket, let it run through... and in NL you pay ALL FINES when you renew your DL or Reg... so I assumed (bad move) that this was the norm, and my Reg was up for renewal in 4 months.

Well... I got the Susp notice in the mail and was like WTF??? I went to the court, paid the ticket, was told I had to wait 5 days (and pay 150$ admin fee) to get license back.... WTF again?? Told her I willpay the 150 now.. I need my license... she said no, "You have to wait 5 days no matter what".... Told her they were off their rockers, got in my car and drove home from the court... got license back 5 days later.

This has never affected my rating.. and every broker I talked to said it wouldn't... I would have assumed (once again) that you knew this as you deal with the rate system...

Hey, maybe it was kept from you on purpose. Those tie wearing execs have been know to be a shady bunch at times.

I just thought it was strange that you said you help set rates for major insurers, and you were not aware of this.

This is a pretty big deal IMO. I got burned when I moved to ON from NL due to this. I got a 10 over ticket, let it run through... and in NL you pay ALL FINES when you renew your DL or Reg... so I assumed (bad move) that this was the norm, and my Reg was up for renewal in 4 months.

Well... I got the Susp notice in the mail and was like WTF??? I went to the court, paid the ticket, was told I had to wait 5 days (and pay 150$ admin fee) to get license back.... WTF again?? Told her I willpay the 150 now.. I need my license... she said no, "You have to wait 5 days no matter what".... Told her they were off their rockers, got in my car and drove home from the court... got license back 5 days later.

This has never affected my rating.. and every broker I talked to said it wouldn't... I would have assumed (once again) that you knew this as you deal with the rate system...
    I do deal with the rating system, but not with that area specifically. Really, that is a pretty minor detail in the big scheme of things. I checked my company's classification system and it is indeed in accordance with the FSCO bulletin that you linked to. If we were not in accordance with FSCO, they would have let us know a long time ago anyways . . . as I have mentioned before, they regulate every move we make.

As an actuarial analyst, we analyze the statistics but do not necessarily need to know the actual definition of a "Minor Conviction", "Suspension", etc. to do our job (although we typically do). For example, if on average a "Minor Conviction" increases the expected claims experience by 10%, we don't need to break this down into micro-categories such as speeding, improper left turn, etc. Similarly with the suspensions, I do not need to know which suspensions are actually deemed a suspension by our policy system. If a policyholder has a suspension that is actually chargeable, it will show up in my stats . . . otherwise, I am not concerned with it (which is the case of the original poster).

Other than trying to help out the biking community, one of the reasons I have been posting on this forum is for my own professional development. By trying to answer the multitude of questions on this board, it helps me understand the product even better myself. When I don't know the answer, I try my best to find out. When I am corrected by someone on the board (as in your case), I am happy that I learned something

Cheers!

Other than trying to help out the biking community, one of the reasons I have been posting on this forum is for my own professional development. By trying to answer the multitude of questions on this board, it helps me understand the product even better myself. When I don't know the answer, I try my best to find out. When I am corrected by someone on the board (as in your case), I am happy that I learned something

Cheers!
    Awesome!

And tomorrow is friday to boot

sky_087

Atleast you got a letter informing you your license would be suspended. My friend never knew, he was pulled over on the highway, the cop got his car towed away, and my friend had to walk home...

the bulletin specifically mentions unpaid parking tickets, but not speeding tickets. Earlier in the bulletin it refers to reasons that are not connected to driving offence convictions. Is a suspension due to an unpaid speeding ticket considered "connected to a driving offence conviction"?

Quote Originally Posted by chintoe View Post
    the bulletin specifically mentions unpaid parking tickets, but not speeding tickets. Earlier in the bulletin it refers to reasons that are not connected to driving offence convictions. Is a suspension due to an unpaid speeding ticket considered "connected to a driving offence conviction"?
    The suspension is in relation to not paying a fine (administrative) it is not a suspension as a result of dangerious/careless/drunk driving.

Thats the way I have been told it works anyway.

The suspension is in relation to not paying a fine (administrative) it is not a suspension as a result of dangerious/careless/drunk driving.

Thats the way I have been told it works anyway.

I am getting mixed responses. My insurance company has nearly doubled my rates this year. I have 3 minors and an admin suspension. Funny thing is my rates are ok on the Busa, but I am getting raped on a 2003 Dodge Dakota. I phoned yesterday to ask the reasoning behind such a poor rating, and as soon as they mentioned the suspension, I told them it was an admin suspension, and that they cannot rate me based on that. They are looking into it, I will keep you all posted.

For anyone that has had an Admin suspension, if you have high rates, you may want to call your insurance company to see if they are taking that into consideration in your rating.

Quote Originally Posted by chintoe View Post
    I am getting mixed responses. My insurance company has nearly doubled my rates this year. I have 3 minors and an admin suspension. Funny thing is my rates are ok on the Busa, but I am getting raped on a 2003 Dodge Dakota. I phoned yesterday to ask the reasoning behind such a poor rating, and as soon as they mentioned the suspension, I told them it was an admin suspension, and that they cannot rate me based on that. They are looking into it, I will keep you all posted.

For anyone that has had an Admin suspension, if you have high rates, you may want to call your insurance company to see if they are taking that into consideration in your rating.
    Send a note as well. Keep your info and company private for now, but it never hurts to ask the experts.

http://www.fsco.gov.on.ca/english/ab...ormation.asp#i

Quote Originally Posted by zx82 View Post
    I should have created one thread with all my questions but new ones keep popping in my head.

Anyways, 4 years ago I received a speeding ticket which I neglected to pay. In all honestly I completely forgot to pay it, received a letter notifying me that my license would be suspended if i I did not pay it by a certain date and even though I ended up paying it online the day before that date my license was still suspended. Anyways I decided not to fight it since it was my original fault for not paying it promptly, and paid to have my license re-instated.

Now I've noticed on a lot of these places that provide online quotes they ask whether your license has been suspended recently? But I assume what they are looking for is suspensions for doing stupid things like drunk driving or too many points, not for neglecting to pay a ticket. Am I correct in assuming this won't count against me when I look for insurance?

just go to your MTO, ask them for a transcript of your driving record. it only goes back 3 years (what insurance companies need)

when you go get your quote, give them that paper. if they ask "has your licence been recently suspended?"

say "no, not recently"

mine was suspended in 2005 for failure to pay ticket, now it no longer affects my insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackenese View Post
    just go to your MTO, ask them for a transcript of your driving record. it only goes back 3 years (what insurance companies need)

when you go get your quote, give them that paper. if they ask "has your licence been recently suspended?"

say "no, not recently"

mine was suspended in 2005 for failure to pay ticket, now it no longer affects my insurance.
    I would advise against this. Section 4 of the Ontario Application for Automobile Insurance asks:

"To the applicant's knowledge has any driver's license, vehicle permit etc. issued to the applicant or to any person in the household or business been suspended or cancelled in the last 6 years?"

Disclose everything, otherwise you run the risk of being declined at the time of a claim.
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com