Are all bike shops brain dead ? - Page 2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are all bike shops brain dead ?

Re: Are all bike shops brain dead ?

Quote Originally Posted by videosilva View Post
    Yeah, ok. Reread what I wrote.

Why would any sane person buy a bike from there when there is a problem doing some thing as simple as buying and having mirrors installed ?

Why so defensive

why would any sane person buy a bike that can't do some thing as simple as installing mirrors .....

Quote Originally Posted by Brolo View Post
    For one hour of mechanic's wage ($75), I will gladly install your mirrors for you. I'll even give you a complimentary coffee and newspaper while you wait.
    Hey for $70/hr I'll be a mechanic.

Viragochic

I purchased a 2008 V-Star from Envy a few months ago. Great sales and service!!! When I had a minor problem one of the mechanics stopped in on his way home from work to look at it. No complaints. He did not have to do that.
    T.O. Cycle mechanic (Junior) very helpful guy and he knows his stuff.

Perhaps the consumer is brain dead, not the bike shops!

Thumbs up Re: Are all bike shops brain dead ?

Quote Originally Posted by Brolo View Post
    For one hour of mechanic's wage ($75), I will gladly install your mirrors for you. I'll even give you a complimentary coffee and newspaper while you wait.
    Brolo

$75/ hr. Damn!!!! Where are you working and are they hiring? Maybe I could forward you my resume????

Steve

I agree that asking a tech to install mirrors for you is pretty weak. I mean, borderline embarrassing.

I do, however, agree that almost all bike shops are brain dead. They seem to be run by enthusiasts and have a "fan base" more than a "customer list", so they think the regular rules of business don't apply to them.

There are really only 3 shops that I will deal with, and they're all small. Maybe 4, but with that last one I never know what treatment I'm going to get or what mood the guy will be in on the particular day I visit....

I would have thought with the closing of some of the big dealerships, it would provide an opportunity for the rest of the shops, but no one seems too concerned about it.

--- D

NOTHING worse then going in an establishment and feeling like you are a chore to them.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

donut

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    NOTHING worse then going in an establishment and feeling like you are a chore to them.

what if you're there half an hour after they close?

as a rule we (the shop i worked at) would never lock the front door until the last customer had left. the parts dept, accessories dept and sales staff would all be there and the lights would stay on.

the service dept however, except for the manager, would all be gone at the normal close time. the fact that they were closed i think is the important part.

Dont sweat it man, Learn to do things yourself.....I do most of my own work....save my $$$ going to dealers or shops! same as gear...will never buy from a dealer as you can get the same crap on fleabay for sooo much cheaper! need anything serious done will take to Kneedragger88, rather supports someone like that then the overpriced dealers and shops!

Quote Originally Posted by videosilva View Post
    And you have what to do with Envy ?

Quote Originally Posted by sklein25 View Post
    $75/ hr. Damn!!!! Where are you working and are they hiring? Maybe I could forward you my resume????
    For $75, I will read your resume.

I think some of us are being too hard on video.

yes its easy to replace mirrors, but perhaps he doesn't realize how easy. Even if he doesn't want to do it doesn't mean anything

My aunt calls me to replace light bulbs on her mercedes. doesn't mean anything. She's a senior account at KPMG. Im sure if she wanted to she could do it, she just chooses not to.

Lots of people are like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fingolfin View Post
    I think some of us are being too hard on video.

yes its easy to replace mirrors, but perhaps he doesn't realize how easy. Even if he doesn't want to do it doesn't mean anything

My aunt calls me to replace light bulbs on her mercedes. doesn't mean anything. She's a senior account at KPMG. Im sure if she wanted to she could do it, she just chooses not to.

Lots of people are like that.
    What if it is the GSXR integrated mirrors... they can be a little tricky and testy to do.

Besides... people here ask how to tighten chain and check tire pressure...
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

You gotta build up a rapport with the bike shop IMO...

i go to Pro6 and the guys are really good....

i pulled in after closing and Johnny was outside talking to somebody and i pulled in asking if they were open cuz i needed oil/filter.

he said they were closed but for oil/filter he could help me out no problemo...i told him "nah man, its cool,i dont wanna interrupt, didnt realize you were closed, i'll come back tommorow" but it was the fact that he wanted to help that mattered.
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=18800&dateline=121895  0439
    99 Honda VTR1000F Firestorm

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post

i go to Pro6 and the guys are really good....

i pulled in after closing and Johnny was outside talking to somebody and i pulled in asking if they were open cuz i needed oil/filter.

he said they were closed but for oil/filter he could help me out no problemo...i told him "nah man, its cool,i dont wanna interrupt, didnt realize you were closed, i'll come back tommorow" but it was the fact that he wanted to help that mattered.
    One of the good shops.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    What if it is the GSXR integrated mirrors... they can be a little tricky and testy to do.

Besides... people here ask how to tighten chain and check tire pressure...

exactly..

if you can check/adjust tire pressure on your car, you can do it on your motorcycle.

the least they could have done is give him the price and say we can fit you in tomorrow. i worked retail and hated the people who came in 5 min before close, but it was no problem to give answers.
    x

Damn it. I am going to hate myself, but I agree with video and eastie..

If your in the service business, serve people. None of this crying about working. Work damn it. Sell stuff and be nice. Easiest farking job in the world. Stand around and talk nice to people all day long.

Too many whiners - fark...

When I worked retail, if we had something out of stock, and it was two weeks to order, I would go to a competitors, buy the crap and call the person back the next day to say it was in, and if it was small enough, I would give it away for free and tell the customer it was because we made him come in twice.

Once, a nice lady asked me for a yard stick. I took her over to the bin and grabbed one out and gave it to her. She looked at me kinda puzzled and then said......... " Do you have a smaller one??? " I honestly didn't know what to say..
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

If it's soooooooooooooooooooo easy to put on and even a five year old could do it or it would have taken only 5 min then would it really have been a huge deal to for them to grab a wrench and tighten up a mirror? Seems like an opportunity lost to make a loyal customer and it would have taken very very very little effort as you've all pointed out.
    Ride Safe Toronto
    The Motorcycler

Quote Originally Posted by Red_Liner740 View Post
    You know, I had to think about this comment a bit, because it didn't sound right to me...

In my business, I try really hard to build up a rapport with my customers. I think that's the way it works in most businesses. If my customers felt they had to build up a rapport with me in order to get good service, I don't think I'd get too much business from them. For some reason it works a bit differently in the motorcycle business.

--- D

The question wasnt wether he could fit the mirrors or not , the question was how much would it cost for the service dept of the dealership to fit the mirrors ....also if its so easy to fit why wouldnt a staff member of said dealership just say its about half hour labour however our service dept is closed right now come back later ??????
    Customer isnt wrong on this one the dealership could of done so much more to help