'98 Gixxer Clutch Issue.

Thread: '98 Gixxer Clutch Issue.

'98 Gixxer Clutch Issue.

Thank you for all your help. I really appreciate it.

So i sold my kawi, ex250 and picked up a '98 gsxr 600 @49k.

The seller said, it has a new clutch put in, but when im going about 80kms/h in 6th gear and put the hammer down, it revs to about 10k slowly catching and releasing at various rpm range.

So when i put power into it, (torque- low rmp - high gear) it seems to be slipping and revs high, then falls in rpm. Clutch gone?

Re: '98 Gixxer Clutch Issue.

Is this a clutch issue?

It will hold the gear, all throught the rpm range in 1st/2nd....but in 6th @ 80kms/h @ 4000rpm, its fine, but put power in, it goes to 8000rpm but speed changes slowly

its like this, but a bit more evident http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkH2g...eature=related

i will try to get a video up soon.

Thats the clutch going. The higher gears put on higher loads and are the first to slip.

Quote Originally Posted by kneedragger88 View Post
    Thats the clutch going. The higher gears put on higher loads and are the first to slip.
    you did the valves on my 250!! i had the receipt from the previous owner.. your where? again?

whats a good place to buy a midrange price clutch for it?

Quote Originally Posted by frekeyguy View Post
    you did the valves on my 250!! i had the receipt from the previous owner.. your where? again?

whats a good place to buy a midrange price clutch for it?
    I am in Bowmanville but pick up and delivery free in the GTA.
    email me at lighttwins at yahoo dot com I can get any clutch you need.

its like this, but a bit more evident http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkH2g...eature=related

i will try to get a video up soon.

I like the text overlay in that video..

Is there any free play at the clutch lever?
    I like to think that most people selling bikes don't lie outright, and since he said it has a new cltuch, are you sure this isn't just an adjustment issue?

On the front sprocket cover, there is a rubber gromet, and behind that, there is the clutch release screw. This can be adjusted tight, to cause slip.

Item #23 in this -

This screw should be 1-1/4 turns out, from contact.
    If it's tight, no amount of clutch cable adjustment can correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    I like the text overlay in that video..

Is there any free play at the clutch lever?
    I like to think that most people selling bikes don't lie outright, and since he said it has a new cltuch, are you sure this isn't just an adjustment issue?

On the front sprocket cover, there is a rubber gromet, and behind that, there is the clutch release screw. This can be adjusted tight, to cause slip.

Item #23 in this -

This screw should be 1-1/4 turns out, from contact.
    If it's tight, no amount of clutch cable adjustment can correct it.

Thank you for that. I haven't checked that, but its going to on my list for winter things to check out.

I went to RIXXER, very nice guy, helpful, he took it out, he thought it was clutch issue too. So we took it out, it looks like a new clutch in there, but we couldn't get out the screws to check the thickness of the plates.

So for now, (thanks rixxer) he gave me a spare clutch from a spare motor that he had, and it runs like a champ.

As for the buyer, he insists that the bike always ran like that, with the clutch slippage, and he rode other 600's that rode like that. I dont want to name his name, until we can get this sorted out. He seemed nice, up front about things, good natured, so i am not sure if he did that to make the sale and keep my happy or he didnt know either.

Thank you for that. I haven't checked that, but its going to on my list for winter things to check out.

I went to RIXXER, very nice guy, helpful, he took it out, he thought it was clutch issue too. So we took it out, it looks like a new clutch in there, but we couldn't get out the screws to check the thickness of the plates.

So for now, (thanks rixxer) he gave me a spare clutch from a spare motor that he had, and it runs like a champ.

As for the buyer, he insists that the bike always ran like that, with the clutch slippage, and he rode other 600's that rode like that. I dont want to name his name, until we can get this sorted out. He seemed nice, up front about things, good natured, so i am not sure if he did that to make the sale and keep my happy or he didnt know either.

+1 for rixxer, he once sold me a gixxer clutch in my hour of need after a day a Cayuga

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    +1 for rixxer, he once sold me a gixxer clutch in my hour of need after a day a Cayuga
    he is a very good guy. very helpful and knowledgeable.