new to dirt bikes

Thread: new to dirt bikes

livewire17

new to dirt bikes

hi guys,
    i plan on getting a dirt bike in the future and i have a few questions.

how do i know what bike will fit me? (im 5,7 / 175 pounds)

when i was checking out some bikes at the honda dealership they seemed real big the bike seat was a few inches above my waist is it supposed to be like that? ( i think they were 450s)

what bike do you recommend for a new person?

whats the diffrence between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke?
    Last edited by livewire17; 08-19-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Re: new to dirt bikes

ask to sit on the bikes.

Dirtbikes have high seats cause the suspension travels so much. Once you sit on it it will compress a fair bit.

if your new....try a 250 fourstroke, or dependign how old you are....honda's CRF230F

In terms of dirtbikes....2 strokes are lighter and have more peak power for same engine size...but the downside is their powerband is kind of like a light switch, which can make them hairy for new riders. (no power...nopower....BAM....u take off, or spin the *** end)

4 strokes are a lil heavier, but have smoother power delivery, and more torque.

Quote Originally Posted by livewire17 View Post
    hi guys,
    i plan on getting a dirt bike in the future and i have a few questions.

how do i know what bike will fit me? (im 5,7 / 175 pounds)

when i was checking out some bikes at the honda dealership they seemed real big the bike seat was a few inches above my waist is it supposed to be like that? ( i think they were 450s)

what bike do you recommend for a new person?

whats the diffrence between a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke?
    I have never been able to touch on an MX'r... no big deal. Starting can be a *****, but once you are rolling... it doesn't matter at all.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Two stroke you will have to mix your gas and oil. As others mentioned 2 strokes are like a light switch. Depending on your skills some two strokes may be too much for you as a first bike. Then again some of the newer 4 stroke MX bikes are pretty quick as well, If you go 4 stroke then there are two styles. MX and trail. For the most part the trail models are under powered and you will get bored quickly unless of course you enjoy puttin around. (nothing wrong with that) But if you want an adrenilan rush go MX.

get well depreciated 4 stroke 250cc (not less) like xr250r (pretty reliable) to improve riding skills,
    when move on to race bike like crf 250 or 2 stroke (with havier flywheel to start with)
    some well depreciated around $1000 97 kdx220 2T can be found too, good starter bike
    hope it helps