dragon over rated? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: dragon over rated?

Re: dragon over rated?

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    I don't know if he is kidding but...

I like deals gap. But, the 507 has a different kid of appeal. There is something to be said for the speed factor on the 507. When going ridiculously fast there is a rush that is different then what you get riding at deals gap. I'm not saying better, just different...
    you might have missed cherohala then, you can get up to a nice clip there and the corners are similar to 507 in that they are fairly predictable even if they are blind, and the pavement is about 10x better on the cherohala ... plus the scenery when riding is breathtaking...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Nope, been on the Cherahola. A lot of fun. Same as the foothills parkway. As you say these two roads are very similar to the 507 and way better in every way.

Quote Originally Posted by chiller View Post
    you might have missed cherohala then, you can get up to a nice clip there and the corners are similar to 507 in that they are fairly predictable even if they are blind, and the pavement is about 10x better on the cherohala ... plus the scenery when riding is breathtaking...
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Man i totally diagree , i found a great rythym riding the gap. To each his own though. Then again , i like the tight stuff as opposed to the high speed sweepers. Must be my old age
    nope, the road has no rhythm, i'm not say it isn't fun, but when you get a rhythm going on a road its a hella lot more fun, the gap itself is overly technical to be a 'rhythm' road ...

Quote Originally Posted by ddusseld View Post
    I don't know if he is kidding but...

I like deals gap. But, the 507 has a different kid of appeal. There is something to be said for the speed factor on the 507. When going ridiculously fast there is a rush that is different then what you get riding at deals gap. I'm not saying better, just different...
    Well, then the Hellbender 128 and the southern end of Deals Gap is for you. 45 mph (posted) sweepers, no cross traffic, and (hardly) any police. And it goes on, and on, and on.....
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

I totally had a rhythm going:

right, left, right hairpin -- right-left-right hairping -- right-left-right hairpin...

this went on and on and on and on....oh, then there was the left-right-left-right thing. And heart palpatations gallorio! Heeheeeheeeheee!!!!

nope, the road has no rhythm, i'm not say it isn't fun, but when you get a rhythm going on a road its a hella lot more fun, the gap itself is overly technical to be a 'rhythm' road ...

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    I totally had a rhythm going:

right, left, right hairpin -- right-left-right hairping -- right-left-right hairpin...

this went on and on and on and on....oh, then there was the left-right-left-right thing. And heart palpatations gallorio! Heeheeeheeeheee!!!!
    to each his own i guess... i didn't find a rhythm on that road ... tight stuff is fun as well ... the blue ridge had a monotonous rhythm to it but it was at least somewhat of a rhythm...

"Rides are simple, we all leave together we all go home together."

Quote Originally Posted by g4getmoney View Post
    507 is better than the gap! Pfftt...
    Says the guy that has never ridden the Gap
    Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    can't get into a rythym? Are you kidding me? No not over rated by any stretch IMHO now the forks or 507 are overrated

+1 million...When I ride those roads I just dream we had something up here like the Gap. I day dream alot about being there. I miss it so much!!!!

Bob, DJ, Rob, Bill and the rest that went down with me. When are we going back!?!?!?
    A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once.

'08 Yamaha WR250X (SuperRetard)
    '03 Suzuki SV1000S Current (Silver Surfer)

'07 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Teefed (Redstar)
    '04 Honda 1000RR Previous (Red1.2)
    '05 Yamaha R6 Previous (Red1)
    '89 Suzuki GS500E Previous (SuziQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Steinberg c/o bjturner View Post
    Tim, if you are reading all this, you should grow the **** up and not be such a ******. you give all us Canadians a bad name. ps, you are no longer welcome here.

Ben Steinberg Deals Gap Resort Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Red1 View Post

+1 million...When I ride those roads I just dream we had something up here like the Gap. I day dream alot about being there. I miss it so much!!!!

Bob, DJ, Rob, Bill and the rest that went down with me. When are we going back!?!?!?
    August?

And a long weekend in WV?

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Some of these comments make sense to me now I've been. I loved the BRP, but did find it went on and on. Then we had to take a detour through some towns and I coudn't wait to get back to the scenery and flow of the BRP! The dragon was great but so short! if any of you get to Victoria, Aus then try the roads to the ski hills, just like the Dragon.

Last year we did a trip through New England, and I'd say overall we found more tight twisties on that trip than on this one. The best section was Adirondacks - Green Mountains - White Mountains (may have those in the wrong order). There was one overpass that was like a less concentrated version of the Dragon, but with a huge height increase that got beyond what I was comfortable with!

Errol I am ready to go back now.

Hellbender 28 was my favourite road. I was able to test the capabilities of my bike w/o worry. Much fun burying the needle on the speedometer and doing the sweepers at crazy speeds, well was heaven.

August?

The WV roads are pretty much good enough to keep you smilin...
    If we stopped along the way to deals gap, in WV, we'd probbaly just stay there.

There is no specific road that I'm aware of that compares to the Dragon, but all (and I do mean all) of the roads near Sutton, WV have much resemblance to Deals gap.

See here - http://www.motorcycleroads.us/wv.html

some really great rodes in PA too and close to s/w ont folks.

I miss the gap terribly , would go back in a minute...What i really enjoyed besides the roads were the poeopl ein the small towns around Robbinsville. Polite cagers that most ontario drivers coul dlearn a thing or two from.

August?

Sounds like a plan.

Quote Originally Posted by obr44 View Post
    Errol I am ready to go back now.

Hellbender 28 was my favourite road. I was able to test the capabilities of my bike w/o worry. Much fun burying the needle on the speedometer and doing the sweepers at crazy speeds, well was heaven.
    I don't know which was better for me. Both tested different limits of my bike.

I miss the gap terribly , would go back in a minute...What i really enjoyed besides the roads were the poeopl ein the small towns around Robbinsville. Polite cagers that most ontario drivers coul dlearn a thing or two from.
    Same here. The people down there are so courteous. They actually move onto the shoulder to let you by. You would never see that here. I wish Ontario people were half as nice as the people we met there.
    A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once.

'08 Yamaha WR250X (SuperRetard)
    '03 Suzuki SV1000S Current (Silver Surfer)

'07 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Teefed (Redstar)
    '04 Honda 1000RR Previous (Red1.2)
    '05 Yamaha R6 Previous (Red1)
    '89 Suzuki GS500E Previous (SuziQ)

Tim, if you are reading all this, you should grow the **** up and not be such a ******. you give all us Canadians a bad name. ps, you are no longer welcome here.

Ben Steinberg Deals Gap Resort Manager

+1 to that!

[quote=Red1;711582]Says the guy that has never ridden the Gap

Yeah but based on the pics, it seems like nobody was riding the lines properly anyways, not to mention I got left out of the gap because I rubbed someone the wrong way, some immature movement, but it wasn't a surprise.

I will do the gap in the next two weeks or so and then give an honest critique, but in short, yes Errol, you're right, I ain't been there so I shouldn't comment. Buuuttt....507 is wicked, but nothing compared to 327S in Quebec, 316 going to Mont Tremblant, amazing!

I have a connection in MTL and OTT, so I'm planning to do one more ride toward the end of the season, for my tight circle of course.
    507, 503, Calabogie roads, OTT. Sleep. Next day to Mont Tremblant/ 327S.

I'm betting you wont be disappointed with the gap. [quote=g4getmoney;711689]

Yeah but based on the pics, it seems like nobody was riding the lines properly anyways, not to mention I got left out of the gap because I rubbed someone the wrong way, some immature movement, but it wasn't a surprise.

I will do the gap in the next two weeks or so and then give an honest critique, but in short, yes Errol, you're right, I ain't been there so I shouldn't comment. Buuuttt....507 is wicked, but nothing compared to 327S in Quebec, 316 going to Mont Tremblant, amazing!

I have a connection in MTL and OTT, so I'm planning to do one more ride toward the end of the season, for my tight circle of course.
    507, 503, Calabogie roads, OTT. Sleep. Next day to Mont Tremblant/ 327S.

The Dragon IS technical and can be fun. But it doesn't deserve the hype it gets. There are lots of roads in the Gap area that are just as much, if not more fun. Plus they are not as heavily enforced nor are they as crowded with people who are in way over their heads. The only worthwhile time to be down at the Gap is mid-week and/or in the off-season. Try Blood Mtn, it's not too far away from the Gap.
    ...P

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."
    - Jack Handey

Blood Mountain (GA) has brutal enforcement at times, too.

There are other roads throughout that general area that are any combination of (A) more fun (B) less enforced (C) have less traffic and therefore (D) have fewer slow cars and slow bikes and noob riders and squids and dumb crashes, compared to either the Gap or the Cherohala (which I only ever ride at a moderate pace).

But THAT ... is the point where I STFU.

DAMN!!

I can't concentrate with all this twistie-talk!!!! I keep day dreaming of my next trip down there! I don't know if I can wait a whole year again!

AAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!
    Some live for the surf, others that spend all their time skydiving, and still others that live on the ski slopes. I want to ride the best twisties all the time! I just don't know how I'll pay for maintenance, parts, and fuel

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa