Endurance Event at TMP - Page 3

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Endurance Event at TMP

Re: Endurance Event at TMP

actually that was considered
    those entries can use a gps

Quote Originally Posted by CBRJOHN View Post
    It looks like a lot of possible situations that weren't considered.
    Powered by Platinum Powersports www.platinum-powersports.com

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    actually that was considered
    those entries can use a gps
    You have GPS units for use to use or do we have to supply our own?

How accurate is GPS? Is it accurate enough to calculate distance on a tight track like Cayuga? I've never used the odometer feature on one before.
    89 fzr400 I'm going to miss her... http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y27...uga/sigpic.jpg The new toy...

What I'm most concerned about is tmps past track record, now they throw out there a good Idea to see if anyone bites, and we all have very valid concerns and no one from tmp is stepping up to answer any of these questions, toastman is helping with a little feedback,in regards to minor machine question, what about the legal aspect! What about the safety aspect? I'm not raining on a parade I'd be interested in attending IF I knew more! But to me it looks like the idea was thought up but not thought threw IMO ! Where is Vanessa from tmp and why are none of our questions being answered!
    www.89racing.com
    MotoDen/MW-Toronto, Accelerated Technologies, Clarington Cycle, Peterborough PowerSports, Galfer, Hindle

Quote Originally Posted by wmcphee89 View Post
    What I'm most concerned about is tmps past track record, now they throw out there a good Idea to see if anyone bites, and we all have very valid concerns and no one from tmp is stepping up to answer any of these questions, toastman is helping with a little feedback,in regards to minor machine question, what about the legal aspect! What about the safety aspect? I'm not raining on a parade I'd be interested in attending IF I knew more! But to me it looks like the idea was thought up but not thought threw IMO ! Where is Vanessa from tmp and why are none of our questions being answered!
    TMP is doing a decent job of winning back customers respect and trust....

I would simply hate to see it all thrown away because of a disaster that could result from not crossing the T's and dotting the I's.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

I feel the same way, I think its a great idea and I'd go knowing my safety wasn't going to be a concern! Minus the normal risk associated with racing!
    www.89racing.com
    MotoDen/MW-Toronto, Accelerated Technologies, Clarington Cycle, Peterborough PowerSports, Galfer, Hindle

use your own gps
    gps will be at least as accurate as the speedo

This event was scheduled the same weekend as regional races for a reason - we are looking for non-racers.
    People that are normal track riders that want something different
    If you make a poor pass you will get a black flag and sit out 10 minutes
    No trading paint, no stuffing
    Same rules as a regular track day

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Dj Eclipse View Post
    You have GPS units for use to use or do we have to supply our own?

How accurate is GPS? Is it accurate enough to calculate distance on a tight track like Cayuga? I've never used the odometer feature on one before.

I have a little endurance experience its actually all I do anymore. Anyone intrerested in seeing how it works should come out to Mosport tommorrow. The VRRA is doing a two hour. A fresh set of tires will make it easy. We run one set for a 3hour at Daytona for the past two years no problem. Jimmy Felice and Springer actually did an 8 hour on a set of Pirelli Dots in the first Moto-ST race. As for speed differences hellya there will be some, but in endurance racing there is a saying. "You cant win a race in a single corner but you can sure lose one". You just have to ride smart and pass when it is easy dont rush a pass. Tommorrow I will be riding a OWO1 and we will be out there with P1 Honda 350s try that on for a speed differential .It does not have to be that big an issue as Cayuga is a slow track.Fueling is a serious issue we have had a few issues this season with fires. Every pit should have a fire bottle and someone holding it when fueling. You should be off the bike and shut it off. This is just stuff I have seen both as a rider and an organizer. I actually ran two at Shanny a few years ago. Funny my first ever endurance race was at Cayuga the weekend after 9/11 with RACE it was a blast. We crashed lost ten laps and still finished second
    I was already talking with toastman. I would love to use this for a race length practice for our team and wanted to make sure we wouldnt be stepping on any toes. Its a great opportunity and hats off to them for doing it. I have already expressed to him that we are not interested in the prize and likely wont even keep score. Just figure its a little over the top as our bike is already set-up for this stuff with dry break dump cans and on board radios etc.
    I have a few questions. Will we be using the pit out into T1? Likely be far safer.
    Pit speed limit? Hot Pit access controlled?
    My recommendation to newbie endurance guys.
    Ride 80% and stay out as long as possible.
    Pass smart and dont force a pass to gain ten feet of track position.
    Start on fresh rubber.
    Have a pit plan (who has can,extinguisher,stand etc.)
    Make sure your bike is 100% ready, adjust and lube the chain.
    Get a Pit board and use it.
    If you find yourself mentally wandering get off the bike cause you will go down.
    Have fun. Endurance racing (or lapping what ever is PC in relation to this thread) is a blast.

T1 is going to be the entrance
    pit lane speed is 30km/h in first gear
    you will have to come to a stop before going to your pits so that the head marshall can talk to you if need be.

any more questions?

I have a few questions. Will we be using the pit out into T1? Likely be far safer.
    Pit speed limit? Hot Pit access controlled?
    My recommendation to newbie endurance guys.
    Ride 80% and stay out as long as possible.
    Pass smart and dont force a pass to gain ten feet of track position.
    Start on fresh rubber.
    Have a pit plan (who has can,extinguisher,stand etc.)
    Make sure your bike is 100% ready, adjust and lube the chain.
    Get a Pit board and use it.
    If you find yourself mentally wandering get off the bike cause you will go down.
    Have fun. Endurance racing (or lapping what ever is PC in relation to this thread) is a blast.[/QUOTE]

Even though much thought was put into it, it still is a race. As no governing body is supporting it, the track insurance is null and void. If someone is injured, TMP will be fully liable, with no backing from its insurance company. In turn, the injured individual will have no proper avenue for compensation or liability recovery. If you get hurt, you are on your own. Lost wages, long term care etc etc are your problem. Further, as far as I know, proper marshaling still is not present. Some semi-experienced volunteers have come forward to assist, but CRCA marshals as far as I know are still not being hired.

Someone mentioned that TMP is turning things around. TMP run track days are still a mess. The only way that TMP was able to get full or near full days was to bring on third party groups and individuals to use third party branding and their experience. TMP has made little effort, nor made any progress in their own trackdays, specifically those being run by TMP directly without third party support.

TMP is looking into their insurance to see if it covers this event
    They have a policy that covers racing at the dragstrip for 300mph cars, but at present it is unkown if it will cover this event.

TMP no longer runs their own track days to my knowledge. They have people do it for them.
    TMP understands that letting experienced organizers run their days is a good thing.

Have you been there during a GWB day?

As for getting hurt and lost wages- That's part of the game of riding on the track.
    When did the track pay anyone when they fall off their bike?

Donald

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Even though much thought was put into it, it still is a race. As no governing body is supporting it, the track insurance is null and void. If someone is injured, TMP will be fully liable, with no backing from its insurance company. In turn, the injured individual will have no proper avenue for compensation or liability recovery. If you get hurt, you are on your own. Lost wages, long term care etc etc are your problem. Further, as far as I know, proper marshaling still is not present. Some semi-experienced volunteers have come forward to assist, but CRCA marshals as far as I know are still not being hired.

Someone mentioned that TMP is turning things around. TMP run track days are still a mess. The only way that TMP was able to get full or near full days was to bring on third party groups and individuals to use third party branding and their experience. TMP has made little effort, nor made any progress in their own trackdays, specifically those being run by TMP directly without third party support.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmy View Post
    Even though much thought was put into it, it still is a race. As no governing body is supporting it, the track insurance is null and void. If someone is injured, TMP will be fully liable, with no backing from its insurance company. In turn, the injured individual will have no proper avenue for compensation or liability recovery. If you get hurt, you are on your own. Lost wages, long term care etc etc are your problem.
    This is one of the main problems this country has, no one is ready to take responsibility for their actions. If i crash in a race why would i wanna sue the organizers, it was my right wrist that caused the accident to begin with, i think a lawyer assisted waiver signed by all competitors should cover TMP.

Do you honestly plan on suing if you go down?

If so tell me so i can stay as far away as possible on the track!

There are other liabilitys other then "falling off" track conditions that render it not safe, then they would be liable, for example! they open the track to the public remember! Simple principals apply! Same as they have now changed the add from a "race" to an "event" which will take out a huge chunk of liability! Now its back to a public skate on bikes with use at own risk, as you would at a local hockey arena for a public skate! If you fall your liable! If you fall cuz they forgot ice, they are liable
    Simple principal I know, but if your like me, explain it to me like I'm a child, then its easier to understand

Quote Originally Posted by ManoWar View Post
    This is one of the main problems this country has, no one is ready to take responsibility for their actions. If i crash in a race why would i wanna sue the organizers, it was my right wrist that caused the accident to begin with, i think a lawyer assisted waiver signed by all competitors should cover TMP.

Do you honestly plan on suing if you go down?

If so tell me so i can stay as far away as possible on the track!
    www.89racing.com

Quote Originally Posted by toastman View Post
    TMP is looking into their insurance to see if it covers this event
    They have a policy that covers racing at the dragstrip for 300mph cars, but at present it is unkown if it will cover this event.

TMP no longer runs their own track days to my knowledge. They have people do it for them.
    TMP understands that letting experienced organizers run their days is a good thing.

Have you been there during a GWB day?

As for getting hurt and lost wages- That's part of the game of riding on the track.
    When did the track pay anyone when they fall off their bike?

Donald
    The funny part is GWB is the scapegoat TMP is looking for. If someone severely injuries themselves or dies, and sues, then TMP can just point the finger to GWB and say "They were the ones running it". Maybe you didn't see that. Maybe you did.

Everyone who participates in a trackday/race event assumes a certain amount of risk/liability. However in cases of negligence, no waiver of insurance policy can protect someone from a lawsuit. In TMP's case, they have been warned mutiple times by multiple people (just do a search on this board for examples) of outstanding safety issues. Should a person heavily injure themselves due to one of those issues, it is not a far cry to argue the organizers/owners are personally liable for negligence. This includes GWB for not enforcing them either.

As for insurance for 300 MPH cars etc? Well, that is 300 mph cars with roll cages and safety equipment travelling in the same direction with no turns. This is not even remotely the same as motorcycles with no roll cage, some leather and armor, oh, and in turns at some speed. Apples to apples , oranges to oranges. The insurance company will see the difference.

TMP ran at least one trackday this year without a separate body helping them. Uli ran it early in the season and the turnout was crap.

My biggest concern in this case, is that it is a race. Straight up, no way to dodge it.

A race with a target audience of non-racers.
    A race with no sanctioning body.
    In an endurance race.
    With NOVICE racers.
    With Novice organizers.
    With Novice marshals.

I see a catastrophe. If you did even more than a "man hour" of thought, you would have come to the same conclusion.

Nites

I was told about this event at the Aug. 4th lapping day. If it was on a different day (not on the National weekend) I would seriously consider to come out and do it with my buddy/long time rider Rob just for fun. We figure we could run a mid 1:20's average for 3 hours, 6 rider changes with 2 refuelings and one set of new tires. My guess would be 115-119 Laps would be possible with no Red Flags.

They may get Racers as the Aug 28-31 weekend at Shannonville is a National race not a Regional Race.

I think TMP has done a good job improving things this year. I hope to see it continue. I would like to see them hold a real race. It has been my proving ground and test track of choice for this race season. I have to give them credit for bringing in groups to run the days and providing items to improve the site, control and communication.

For the average person it is a great way to come out and try track riding at a low cost.
    Last edited by Y2KR1; 08-15-2008 at 11:54 AM.
    Pro # 175

Thanks to my Sponsors: Racer5, SpeedWorx, SpeedGear, Kawasaki Canada,
    Uber-Racing, Pirelli/ Orion Motorsports, Kahuna Powersports, Armour Bodies, WoodCraft, MotoVan, Vortex, TechSpec, Sidi & PitBull

It is a fun track It has lots of variety of different typs of corners.
    I think you could do 3 hours on 1 set with out a problem.

Not having a Hot Pit lane could be a huge problem.

At the Wera National Endurance Series every team had to provided there own score keeper at least thats how they did it 10 years ago.

I wonder if my 250 would go 3 hours? I too think we could do 1:19-1:20's all day.

a hot pit lane with restricted access has been mapped out

Quote Originally Posted by minifig-phil View Post
    It is a fun track It has lots of variety of different typs of corners.
    I think you could do 3 hours on 1 set with out a problem.

Not having a Hot Pit lane could be a huge problem.

At the Wera National Endurance Series every team had to provided there own score keeper at least thats how they did it 10 years ago.

I wonder if my 250 would go 3 hours? I too think we could do 1:19-1:20's all day.