49 over ticket - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 49 over ticket

Re: 49 over ticket

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    I didn't imply he should flee the police, I just mean if there are TWO of them and one is getting pulled over why stop for the cop and give him a chance to write two tickets?
    So one person can corroborate the other's account in court? So that it doesn't become a charge of evading?

Advice to original poster: Attend BOTH court dates, if they are separate. Make sure that the officer doesn't claim that he only read speed on the one vehicle that is involved in whatever the current hearing is for.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

I'm not a lawyer but I've had the occasion to "discuss" speeding and the ways of measuring speed with crown attorneys on more then one occasion. I've always been told that in Ontario you cannot be convicted of speeding by visual estimate. It needs to be laser, radar, pacing, distance between two marked points etc. I would expect it will be pretty easy to get off of the charge with you being the second bike. The keeping up with your friend should not hold up in court.

Quote Originally Posted by boosted_ek View Post
    Hello, this evening myself and a friend were riding at a spirited pace on a local country road.

My friend was infront and we were both in the left tire track. I am unsure of the speed that I was travelling at the current time... we were approaching a car on the road, little did we know it was an unmarked cruiser. He said he clocked us doing 120km/h (the limit was 70km/h) I asked him how fast was I going and his response was "you were keeping up with him". Which IMO is un-true because my friend was about 200-250feet infront of me. But I decided to shut my mouth because the cop said he was going to lower it to 49over; so I thought it would be wise to keep quiet and ride my bike home instead of giving the cop a hard time and catching a cab home.

So the cop comes back with two 49km/h tickets and says to us "if you decide to fight this in court you will be trialed as the original charge (which is 50km/h and bill 203)." I know if I go to court they can mention my original speed, but to bring back my original fine? It makes no sense. I think the cop just said that so I don't take it to court, but after some research I have not found my answer.

Can anybody help me out here?
    Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Quote Originally Posted by boosted_ek View Post
    Hard to say, I first saw him when he was 1km ahead of us. I never saw any brake lights on so I'm pretty sure he was driving pretty slow untill we caught up to him.
    By slow you mean the speed limit right? You were apparently going about 70% faster than he was, even the speed limit would appear slow at that rate.