1996 kawasaki zx6r need help

Thread: 1996 kawasaki zx6r need help

d3s3rt

1996 kawasaki zx6r need help

Hi just wondering if anyone had a problem like this or if anyone has a clue to what it could be.

I took my bike out for a little ride today with no problems, but when i got home i shut it down, when i jumped back on the bike it didnt even turn over.

I could see the lights on the gauges dim when i push the start button but nothing not even a sound motor not turning over and i dont even hear the starter making any noise.

Also I dont remember its my first bike and i just got it but i think the head light use to turn on when i switch the key to the on position and now nothing.

The battery is still strong, horn is still loud, signals ane still bright, the tail light is still working nice and bright.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by d3s3rt; 08-16-2008 at 02:49 PM.

Re: 1996 kawasaki zx6r need help

check the battery connections or the starter connection.. smack the starter around while you try to start it.. if that ends up starting the bike.. get a new starter...
    "Those who are careful when they come out to play, lives to ride another day"
    2002 ZX6R
    2006 Suzuki M50

d3s3rt

Quote Originally Posted by nrvswreck View Post
    check the battery connections or the starter connection.. smack the starter around while you try to start it.. if that ends up starting the bike.. get a new starter...
    So i just tried to start it up and it sounds like the battery is weak.

I dont know much about the way a bike charges the battery.

I didnt have any problems with starting it, does it die that fast?

My next question is on the battery it says for charging 1.2x5 10h at 12v.

Does that mean charge for 10 hours at 6 amps 12v?

Quote Originally Posted by d3s3rt View Post

My next question is on the battery it says for charging 1.2x5 10h at 12v.

Does that mean charge for 10 hours at 6 amps 12v?
    ummmm yeah i think so... i just use the lowest setting to charge my battery. Is your battery even charging when the bike is running? should be above 12.4v when you put your voltmeter on...
    2002 ZX6R
    2006 Suzuki M50

d3s3rt

[quote=nrvswreck;692321]ummmm yeah i think so... i just use the lowest setting to charge my battery. Is your battery even charging when the bike is running? should be above 12.4v when you put your voltmeter on...[/quote

My charger has three settings 6V/6A, 12V/2A, 12V/6A.

The battery says charge at 12V 1.2Ax5 for 10 hours seems kinda long.

What setting would u use and how long?

After its charged what should it read on the voltmeter when bike is not running?

Are u saying it should read above 12.4V on the voltmeter when the bike is running?

Thanks for taking the time to help me out.

12V/2A slow charge is better than a fast charge.
    Life begins at 186mph,mirrors are optional

d3s3rt

Quote Originally Posted by rocket12r View Post
    12V/2A slow charge is better than a fast charge.
    How long do i keep it on charge

honestly, 4 hours is long enough.. a battery is fully charged at 12.7V - 12.8V. But if you check your battery right away after charging, you will see some residual charge, you might see like 13V+. but don't bother with that... after you finish charging the battery, start your bike. Check the battery with the bike running, should be charging anywhere where above 13V... ex (13.2V-14.5V) if its charging. The battery might not want to be holding the charge anymore. If you have a buddy to test the battery for you, that would be great. If not, and the battery is like 3-5 years old... its proabably the battery. Or you have something draining the battery overnight, like short or something... make sure all your fuses are working...
    2002 ZX6R
    2006 Suzuki M50

Don't forget to check that the connections to the battery terminals are clean and tight.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

d3s3rt

Thanks for all your help.

I ended up charging it and I checking it, it was a 12.6v something like that and it was just over 14v with the bike running.

The guy that sold me the bike told me that the battery was 3 years old so im thinking its time for a new one.

Would canadian tire have anything good or is it best to go to dealer?

just go to a dealer, its easier....
    2002 ZX6R
    2006 Suzuki M50