2001, 52, 56
    2002, 91, 97
    2003, 72, 74
    2004, 60, 66
    2005, 52, 59
    2006, 57, 57
    2007, 48, 52
    2008, 25, 28 (up to jun.30) 1/2year

I don't know what kind of statistics Mr. WOOLEY was reading from, but it seems like the number of fatal collisions AND the number of fatalities for 2008 are on an UPWARD TREND!
    Those numbers are just for Toronto, not all of Ontario, no? Wooley covers all of Ontario. The numbers may well be up in the Toronto area, but I suspect that they're down everywhere else. To claim that this is due to their onerous programme of vehicle seizures, when the much more simple explanation of their being fewer road miles travelled in Ontario, is a bit of a reach.

With the way that the vacation industry is being hit, I'd say that there are far fewer people travelling around the boonies on weekends. As a result there are more in the major urban centres, like Toronto, on weekends to get into collisions.

Net result; collisions in Toronto, Hamilton, Oshawa go up. Collisions outside of these areas, the areas covered by OPP, go down. Simple, isn't it?
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Re: 5,000 charges laid in driving blitz, OPP say

Here is a quote from someone who made a comment on the star

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/472245
    "Police can do whatever they want! Above the law...

We submitted a complain to the Ontario Civilian Commission on Police Services after we caught a car running the red light in front of Yonge and Shutter, here in downtown Toronto. There were 3 police officers inside the car. How do I know that? Well, after I screamed to the driver "Red means stop" they were kind enough to stop and beat us up. Back to the street racing law, I have seriously issues letting these people have these kinds of power (of stopping you and taking your license and car on the side of the road without a trial). The same people who are everyday on the news on charges ranging from killing citizens with the use of tasers, participating in organized crime, racism, ... The Ontario Civilian Commission on Police Services later transfer the investigation to the boss of the same officers who commited the infraction. The process was dismissed. Police can do whatever they want!
    "
    "Fantino has been quoted saying he is "satisfied" with the 41 per cent conviction rate under the new law. I'm glad he's not running a brain surgery school" - Kenzie

Kriptik Riders: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2317743102
    Fighting a Ticket: http://www.roadwarriors.ca/ontario_traffic_tickets_speeding_tickets_tutorial
    http://www.naseinvestors.com
    http://www.jafrum.com

Quote Originally Posted by mauroACM View Post
    Why would the Lamborghini stop?
    Unless he/she was out of gas?
    How many Lamborghinis do you think are out there? They are usually bright colours, and stand out like a supermodel at an obesity conference. I'm pretty sure the driver knew he would be caught in moments anyway.

I'm actually reading this thinking it was the most sane weekend ever. If Cam is only defining "street racing" as the 50+kmh charges, then that is more than reasonable, considering the traffic volumes present on the 400-series on long weekends. 50-over is just plain stupid, even if everyone else is doing 20-30 over.

As well, the plane is showing itself effective in nabbing tailgaters, which we have all complained about to no end, and have thought they should be cracked down on. I'm not sure if they really need 2 planes, but it is making the difference. As well, it's Section 172 charges may not only be 50+, but be against people weaving in and out of lanes aggressively.

I'm disappointed to see that the police are still getting people for seatbelts, as there is really no excuse. Thier effectiveness in saving lives has been proven over and over again. Just look at the truck driver in today's crash on the 404: minor injuries after rolling over several times.
    CHOWDAH RIDAH

2007 ZX-14 -92,000km
    2006 BW'S -7,000km
    2005 ZX636R -63,533km (stolen)
    2004 SV650S -30,000km (sold)
    2003 ZZR250 -15,000km (sold)

Current tire choice: Pirelli Angel
    Last tire choice: Road Smart- 19,000 on last set (not the best though..)
    CSC Certified Riding Instructor

I have a couple of problems with the "weaving" charges..
    1) How do you define it? What's "significantly over the speed limit?" 20 over? 10 over? 5 over? 1 over? How many lane changes per kilometer? It's completely up to the constable's discretion to charge you and have you face immediate consequences. They'd eliminate most weaving by starting to charge people blocking the passing lane.
    2) How do they prove that you were weaving (unless there's airplane video evidence) other than resorting to "the constable's word is gold" standard? There's no defence against that.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Well all the police presence didnt stop the red and black CTS that came within 5 feet of my rear tire before changing lane and weaving in and out of traffic on the DVP. Dumb ***

Quote Originally Posted by FiReSTaRT View Post
    I have a couple of problems with the "weaving" charges..
    1) How do you define it? What's "significantly over the speed limit?" 20 over? 10 over? 5 over? 1 over? How many lane changes per kilometer? It's completely up to the constable's discretion to charge you and have you face immediate consequences. They'd eliminate most weaving by starting to charge people blocking the passing lane.
    2) How do they prove that you were weaving (unless there's airplane video evidence) other than resorting to "the constable's word is gold" standard? There's no defence against that.
    Ya, it's 100% officer discretion, that's it.
    And there would be SO much less weaving if people were driving in the correct lane.

How do they prove it... they don't care to prove it. Your already penalized roadside, and they collect OT for being in court. Do they care if the charge sticks?

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Ya, it's 100% officer discretion, that's it.
    And there would be SO much less weaving if people were driving in the correct lane.
    That's so true. I drive for living...12-hour shifts. I change lanes a lot to get around those who are driving below 100kph on the highway. Especially those in the left hand lane...I'll never understand that. God forbid one day I get busted for that, but I try and do it as safely as I can.

Funny, I was up north near Fenelon Falls. Seen very few cops on my way up. Granted I took the backroads.

This is all more BS from Cam and his mafia. Fatalities are down SO FAR because people aren't going away. Again for the law to be proven effective there has to be a huge decline in fatalities year after year.

All these charges yet people are still maintaining their speed...why do you suppose that is? Because our speed limits are too low, period.

Up north, everyone does 130 on the 121. Is everyone 'street racing'. Give me a god damn break.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

now with all the extra cash the city took in, for god sakes fix some more damn potholes.

Quote Originally Posted by FZ6GoldenRetriever View Post
    now with all the extra cash the city took in, for god sakes fix some more damn potholes.
    You're kidding yourself if you actually think they care about safety ;p
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

anyone think the police are now being paid by the ticket??? I mean before ... you might get a warning or two ... now it seems every time the cops pull someone over they have to write them a ticket. No more warnings.

Has anyone had a warning this year????

Not me...
    Last edited by Addicted; 08-12-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Addicted View Post
    anyone think the police are now being paid by the ticket??? I mean before ... you might get a warning or two ... now it seems every time the cops pull someone over they have to write them a ticket. No more warnings.

Has anyone had a warning this year????

Not me...
    Got a warning from an OPP last week. First warning I've ever had. It was actually my first pleasant encounter with a LEO. No attitude what so ever. Not even a a rightious lecture. Totally threw me for a loop.
    I've only run into the opposite of this before.

dropgear

Well .. the police are like any organised working body: their work conditions change, unit by unit, year by year.

Some departments used to have ticket quotas, some never have, some have work evaluations that include tickets, some don't. Warnings still get recorded. Some management-types value warnings, others do not.

I've met some officers that definitely run to the beat of their own drum .. those are the far more reasonable ones to deal with. Some cops, younger ones especially, play by the rules established for them by the higher-ups .. and have less leverage to cut you a break.