The plane got me

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The plane got me

Post The plane got me

on 401 last Sunday. I was going with the flow of traffic which was around 130km/h and got clocked at 137. Officer was nice but said he can't give me a reduction because of the plane recording the speed.
    I don't think I was going that fast and there was another bike in front of me, dark colored like mine which was riding two up as well. I've heared that they have high res cameras on the plane and am wondering if they record the plate numbers.
    I will take it to the court and any suggestions are welcome.

Re: The plane got me

theve have very good cameras, and i have a funny story to confirm it....
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerem View Post
    on 401 last Sunday. I was going with the flow of traffic which was around 130km/h and got clocked at 137. Officer was nice but said he can't give me a reduction because of the plane recording the speed.
    I don't think I was going that fast and there was another bike in front of me, dark colored like mine which was riding two up as well. I've heared that they have high res cameras on the plane and am wondering if they record the plate numbers.
    I understand that both the officer who wrote you the ticket and the officer who measured the speed, and the plane's pilot, and the plane's co-pilot, and the plane's mechanic, have to be in court at the same time, to convict you.

Is that true?
    Security transcends technology

I asked it to the officer and he said planes pilot will be there.

Did you see the plane???
    D33PU

they have planes watching the 401 now? does any one know what section?

I find the stopwatch method leaves so much room for human error. Did the officer calibrate his fingers? all it would take is a little hesitation or being quick on the button to throw the speed total off completely. I wonder if you can make the stop watch guy repeat the same exact start stop method multiple times in court.

Obiwan Kenoobie

Quote Originally Posted by Kerem View Post
    busted!!!!!!!! ... and disgusted!
    say to the jp .. from up there all the cars look like dark colored antz.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahz View Post
    Have you been living under a rock for the last year ... ? ? ?

Any place on the 401 where you see the evenly-spaced (250m or 500m apart) white marks at right-angles to the lane markings ... the plane can be used to calculate your speed. Any place you see those markings ... the plane could be watching.

And the airplane could be watching ANYWHERE for dangerous lane changes, following too closely, weaving through traffic, etc., because markings on the road aren't required for that.

With a plane? Isn't that like... all of the 401?

Anyway, I hear the blitz next weekend is the 400 and not 401 out east by Whitby onwards as it was this past weekend.
    Shama-la-ma-ding dong!

Dont speed in areas marked with a "T" painted white on the pavement... I've noticed touched up and new markings all over the provincial highways.

Get your court date and make a motion for adjournment. It'll be harder for both cops to show up a second time.

I'd love for someone to set up a website tracking the plane then send GPS notifications of it's location to riders/drivers.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Get your court date and make a motion for adjournment. It'll be harder for both cops to show up a second time.
    Unless they work as a team?

hey where can i get ground to air missiles installed on my bike?

Quote Originally Posted by FZ6GoldenRetriever View Post
    hey where can i get ground to air missiles installed on my bike?
    nah, get a device to send out a huge EM pulse and disable all electronics in the chopper

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by MovinUp View Post
    Unless they work as a team?
    I highly doubt that the same officer works with the plane everyday but I could be wrong.

OFAH member

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I find the stopwatch method leaves so much room for human error. Did the officer calibrate his fingers? all it would take is a little hesitation or being quick on the button to throw the speed total off completely. I wonder if you can make the stop watch guy repeat the same exact start stop method multiple times in court.
    Not really. They're not idiots (even though sometimes it seems that way)... they pick a large enough distance so that even a normal allowance for delay in reaction time, etc., won't throw the numbers off too far. For example, you can argue that the officer could have been off by half a second, or even a second, but it won't bring your speed down that much.

--- D

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post

I'd love for someone to set up a website tracking the plane then send GPS notifications of it's location to riders/drivers.
    I'm sure the plane crew has a set court schedule, it wouldn't be that difficult to organize say every second Monday or something. They'll just push you to the crews next date in court. At least that's how I'd set it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Duster929 View Post
    Not really. They're not idiots (even though sometimes it seems that way)... they pick a large enough distance so that even a normal allowance for delay in reaction time, etc., won't throw the numbers off too far. For example, you can argue that the officer could have been off by half a second, or even a second, but it won't bring your speed down that much.

--- D
    But that littel bit could be the difference between a 149 over and a 150 over. Big difference in penalties. I just think an automated method with video evidence backup (in case the on off is contested). Much better system

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    But that littel bit could be the difference between a 149 over and a 150 over. Big difference in penalties. I just think an automated method with video evidence backup (in case the on off is contested). Much better system
    Fair enough. If it was that close I'm sure you could get the reduction. But it's certainly accurate enough to put you in a range and prove that you were speeding within a few kph.

--- D