9 Demerit Points - Have to Go for Interview - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 9 Demerit Points - Have to Go for Interview

Quote Originally Posted by TorontoRider View Post
    What happened to "only on your record for 3 years"?
    There are multiple types of records. Including an entire history as far back as the ministry database has.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...ver/record.htm

Restricted Driving Record – Issued under authority of Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
    Contains driver's name, driver's licence number, date of birth, gender, height, class, conditions/restrictions, Highway Traffic Act and/or Criminal Code of Canada convictions for as far back as available on the ministry's data base, conviction and offence dates, current demerit point total, all suspensions, reinstatements and collisions for as far back as available on the ministry's data base, status, licence expiry date, earliest licensed date available, all renewals, address changes, class changes and road tests taken. Only available to driver, Crown Attorney's Office or law enforcement. Law enforcement must provide a court order. A Restricted Driving Record costs $48 plus $6. if a certified copy of the record is required.

Re: 9 Demerit Points - Have to Go for Interview

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    Tell me why my insurance company will give discounts to Professionals like doctors/lawyers/engineers but won't give me a discount on my personal automobile cause I drive professionally.
    It's because their professional associations have applied for group rates. The turnover in these groups is extremely low and the companies are able to rate them separately based upon their experience.

Quote Originally Posted by spankayf View Post
    I've always felt the system was unfair to professional drivers who have a greater opportunity to accumulate demerit points
    So we should be more lenient on murder charges if the person charged works at a hunting store because this person has more access to the tools used to commit the crime?

Why be less strict on those who should know the rules the most out of all of us? Makes for an ***-backwards society if you ask me.

Just Thought I'd update this as I went for the interview a couple weeks ago.

They gave me a vision test, sat me down with the record of my violations, went through them, assessed what I could do to improve my driving and sent me on my way with my license still intact after 15-20mins.

However, they did say that should the points go down and then come back up to 9 within the next year and I have to attend another interview, chances are they're suspending it.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    So we should be more lenient on murder charges if the person charged works at a hunting store because this person has more access to the tools used to commit the crime?

Why be less strict on those who should know the rules the most out of all of us? Makes for an ***-backwards society if you ask me.

Your murder example is exteme, but an employee at a hunting store is way more likely to handle a firearm incorrectly once in a while as they handle a firearm 10000 times/month whereas the average hunter only handles a firearm 100 times/month.

I drive for a living, I do approx. 400km/day 4 to 5 days/week. This pales in comparison to Rig drivers but due to the amount of kilometers we do, we are more likely to break the traffic laws (EVERYONE breaks traffic laws, whether intentionally or not).

That is why spanky indicated the system is unfair to professional drivers. It is relatively easy to rack up a couple of major violations when you drive 20X more than granny down the street every month.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Amplified attempts at drawing comparisons generally fall flat on their faces, as this one does. It would have been sufficient to say that professional drivers should be expected to be better at it than amateurs.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    Amplified attempts at drawing comparisons generally fall flat on their faces, as this one does. It would have been sufficient to say that professional drivers should be expected to be better at it than amateurs.

That's a matter of preference, but hey, have it your way. Here you go:

"professional drivers should be expected to be better at it than amateurs"
    - Rob M.

I hope you feel very important and accomplished

by the way, matt, I hear ya man, my Godfather had his own trucking business just short of 20 years, but every job has its chronic setbacks/faults, kind of like - oh wait, the comparison nazi is out there, I better keep quiet
    Last edited by adri; 09-04-2008 at 01:54 PM.

- Rob M.

by the way, matt, I hear ya man, my Godfather had his own trucking business just short of 20 years, but every job has its chronic setbacks/faults, kind of like - oh wait, the comparison nazi is out there, I better keep quiet

I just feel like commercial drivers should perhaps be given a little more slack when it comes to points, perhaps make them take a special driving course???
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

- Rob M.

Yup. Absolutely god-like.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn View Post
    Nah, I've been driving almost 15 years, have my full G...never had tickets until moving back...none are for speeding, its all sign violations (no right on reds, wrong way on a one way) and one for seatbelt.
    weird!!
    did you get a ticket for NOT turning right on a red? because we're allowed to turn right on the red in Ontario.
    Also - don't one way signs look the same in the states?

Quote Originally Posted by nuffstyle View Post
    weird!!
    because we're allowed to turn right on the red in Ontario.
    You not allowed if the sign says you can't turn right on red.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+