Drag Strip

Thread: Drag Strip

Drag Strip

So I've been thinking of hitting the strip on my bike. Anyone been out? Any pointers?
    GTAM- your #1 stop for internet tough guys

Re: Drag Strip

leave on the 2nd yellow

Quote Originally Posted by reciprocity View Post
    leave on the 2nd yellow

??????????
    With a LED tree?
    That used to work... now it'll get ya' bulbed.

First time out; Watch the tree for a while, watch how other bikes launch... then go out and embarass yourself. You're either gonna bog it or loop it (TIP #1: Looping it will get much more positive crowd reaction).

Then go out and concentrate on your 60 foot time.
    Practice your launch, it will come with experience... but concentrate on your 60 ft times.

Stay out of the water and don't do a burn out.

If you see a red and black '67 Coronet R/T come over and introduce yourself. (There's only one).

guess I just dated my self, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Graves View Post
    So I've been thinking of hitting the strip on my bike. Anyone been out? Any pointers?
    If you arrive early you can usually do a few runs without having to line up and there's no crowd (if you're worried about people watching you screw up)

That guy announcing is god damn annoying, he called my bike a Suzuki Crotchrocket
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

plant your feet flat and lean over the tank as fas as possible when launching..

smeghead

Went to cayuga on friday and tried the dragstrip for the first time ever. hella fun. I was the only guy on a cruiser, so i didnt have to worry about finishing first

my first r/t ever was .2030
    second one was .1709

didnt embarass myself thats for sure,,,,watching others a lot before heading in to the lane helps a lot...watch'n learn!!
    07 FZ6 S2 Candy Apple Red

I've been plenty on four wheels, just never been on 2. Friend of mine was saying that the stickyness (sp) of the track may get the front wheel up like crazy. Also talking with other racers, there launching at 10-14K in order to pull low 10's/9's. Thats a little beyond me at this point and time.
    GTAM- your #1 stop for internet tough guys

rule #1

have fun
    1973 KAWASAKI S1 250 TRIPLE
    1991 GSXR 1100
    2011 bmw s1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by mike View Post
    rule #1

have fun
    Every body says that racing is supposed to be fun. I've been racing for over 30 years... when does the fun start?

Racing is alot of work.

When you launch your bike, start with a lower rpm and start working your way up after every run. Last thing you want to to is pop a wheelie off the start. Just like everyone said, its the 60ft mark that you should work on in order to improve your overall time. Compare your time slips in order to see what has changed and why certain times are faster or slower depending on the rpm you launched at.