Canada's Illegal War - Page 3

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Canada's Illegal War

Re: Canada's Illegal War

Quote Originally Posted by IlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlI View Post
    So you're telling me that you cant tell me what you guys are really doing there because its still "under investigation"?
    lol... that was actually funny...

Quote Originally Posted by IlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlIlI View Post
    So you're telling me that you cant tell me what you guys are really doing there because its still "under investigation"?
    Uh YA!

My little brothers old unit (USMC 3/5 Weapons Company) is having their workup (just got back from iraq in mid May) and will be deploying again (most for the 4th time) to Afganistan to help assist the Canadians or fill out the ranks in the hostile areas. I will always support the troops and most of the time keep my views on the war (afganistan justified... Iraq not so much) to myself as anyone else who has family memebers in combat its hard not to get into heated discussions about the issue.

meh nevermind
    Last edited by MG; 07-30-2008 at 08:49 PM.
    RR

Trying to think of a "legal war" ....hmmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I just try to do what I think is right and what my country asks of me.
    I don't think your country is asking you go. I don't think your country, or the majority of it, even wants CDN troops over there. Maybe Bush and his puppeteers want you there, but not the majority of your country.
    Personally, I am against the "war" in Afganistan. I am against the CDN military's presence there. I believe the "war" to be illegal and wrong...
    And because of my personal feelings about what is going on over there... I can't, and don't, support the troops that do go, and don't think very highly of the ones that want to go!
    I'm curious... Doesn't it bother you guys (military personal) that you are being paid so much less than the other oil workers that are over there?

Anytime I hear or read someone label any war as illegal I chuckle a little bit. The first thing I say to myself is that this person is either, or has been instructed by a lawyer or university prof....basically people who sit in nice cozy offices trying to understand society while being completely removed from it!

After struggling through that article...ok i admit I skimmed through it but it was a struggle none the less, I looked down. What did I see?

"Marjorie Cohn is president of the National Lawyers Guild and a professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law."

a lawyer and a prof!

Quote Originally Posted by johnnn View Post
    Anytime I hear or read someone label any war as illegal I chuckle a little bit. The first thing I say to myself is that this person is either, or has been instructed by a lawyer or university prof....basically people who sit in nice cozy offices trying to understand society while being completely removed from it!

After struggling through that article...ok i admit I skimmed through it but it was a struggle none the less, I looked down. What did I see?

"Marjorie Cohn is president of the National Lawyers Guild and a professor at Thomas Jefferson School of Law."

a lawyer and a prof!

Have to agree.
    Professors see things entirely different than those in the field.
    They are very interesting when you are in your 2o's but man, reality sets in when you have a few more years behind you and the trick is to find a balance.

Quote Originally Posted by sinic View Post
    videosilva ... is that you?

quit picking on lil Paul

SteveT

Quote Originally Posted by johnnn View Post

a lawyer and a prof!

AHEM...AHEM

Notice Bush's other right hand person

Quote Originally Posted by raginduck View Post
    I don't think your country is asking you go. I don't think your country, or the majority of it, even wants CDN troops over there. Maybe Bush and his puppeteers want you there, but not the majority of your country.
    Personally, I am against the "war" in Afganistan. I am against the CDN military's presence there. I believe the "war" to be illegal and wrong...
    And because of my personal feelings about what is going on over there... I can't, and don't, support the troops that do go, and don't think very highly of the ones that want to go!
    I'm curious... Doesn't it bother you guys (military personal) that you are being paid so much less than the other oil workers that are over there?
    One man's garbage is another man's treasure... Not everyone is in it for the $$$..
    Winners don't quit coz quitters don't win!

I see a lot of polls that show that Canadians want troops out of Afghanistan. Polls where like 56% of Canadians want them out.

But it's all a big trick. The polls are paid for by people who have an interest in the polls showing a certain trend. I was actually asked to do a quick survey on the topic and the question was worded as follows... "would you like Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan to return home".....sure I said. When the pole came out I found that had used that question to determine that Canadians were against the war.

all I Was saying is that I would like for Canadian soldiers to be home!

SteveT

uhm last time I checked we went there to KEEP THE PEACE

When did they trade the BLUE hats for regular ones?

This is not our war, we have no business being there UNLESS we are there to KEEP the PEACE e.g. provide food,shelter,education,protection.

We have reputation of fair and equal treatment that is about to get severely tarnished. Canada is the ONLY country ( to my knowledge) that the WORLD looks up to.

This will come back on us.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Why not?

You do realize that not agreeing with the Afghan war in no way means that you do not respect the men and woman in uniform right...?
    Well, Angus' comment:
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus Argyle View Post
    ...For those in Afghanistan, you are participating in an illegal war after all...
    implies that those troops are morally complicit by the fact that they are there. Not fair, Angus, not fair....
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

except for the cases where both sides haven't mutually decided to go to war with each other. How about cases when one country attacks pre-emptively. Is it wrong to "go to war" against your attacker? Should a nation just roll over play dead and be plundered?

Quote Originally Posted by Angus Argyle View Post
    Well said SiNNeR...

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    uhm last time I checked we went there to KEEP THE PEACE

When did they trade the BLUE hats for regular ones?

This is not our war, we have no business being there UNLESS we are there to KEEP the PEACE e.g. provide food,shelter,education,protection.

We have reputation of fair and equal treatment that is about to get severely tarnished. Canada is the ONLY country ( to my knowledge) that the WORLD looks up to.

This will come back on us.
    How else do you "keep the peace" when the other side starts shooting?

They traded in the Blue hats when it wasn't a UN mission.

If all you want to do is provide food, shelter, edu, etc. call the red cross or some other charitable organization...if you feel you need "protection" you better have an armed military...and if they're not prepared to shoot, then they're not really protection, are they.

I think a lot of the world thinks that canada is a "nice place to live"...I don't know about them actually "looking up to us".

There is something wrong about an organization that promotes child suicide bombers. Sorry, but I think that people who promote that should be shut down. My hats off to the service people in Afganistan.

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Many of you on here would like nothing better than to bring our men and women back and stuff flowers in their rifles.

I have news for you, the world isn't a peaceful place. It's by our bravery and bullets that we keep our freedoms and help protect those around the globe who cannot defend themselves.

Our troops are doing a great service to Canada over there. They aren't terrorizing the people, they are building schools, hospitals...really establishing a country again. They aren't fighting a constant war, yes there are Al Qaeda elements which are disposed of regularly (everyone's gotta take out the trash sometime) but generally it isn't a huge death zone like the media makes it out to be.

The media is interested in ONE thing, selling newspapers/advertising/viewership, the truth comes secondary.

and I'd gladly reenlist but as it stands right now I won't pass the medical, maybe in a year or so.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    Well, Angus' comment:

implies that those troops are morally complicit by the fact that they are there. Not fair, Angus, not fair....

Of course it's not fair. The Germans were just following orders as well. I know it's an extreme example, but hey...
    "The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

- Thomas Jefferson

What I find funny is that you have people that have very little knowledge about what the Canadian Troops are doing there making comments based on news stories they see or read from different news agencies and they accept the word of these news agencies.

They eat it up word for word and believe it as truth without question and yet in another thread will comment on the bad journalism and slanted view point that the same news agency uses when they do a story on Bill 203 and the implications of the street racing law and how it could personnal effect them.

Not everything you see or read in the news is the absolute truth and at the end of the day its all about selling newspapers and getting you to watch their channel.

Who wants to hear about the Canadian Troops building schools, hospitals, supporting people in another country who appreciate the fact that they are there to help them rebuild from years of oppression, when you can read about bombings, fire fights, and people getting killed.

Banger I appreciate you and your service to Canada along with all the other men and women that wear the uniform.

Thanks

Noted. Thank you.
    You think we do it for the money?