rules of conduct for customs officials?? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: rules of conduct for customs officials??

Re: rules of conduct for customs officials??

You want stereotypes? In my experience when there's a story of undeserved persecution, there's usually something left out of the story that helps explain it.

Some years back Jan Wong, Globe & Mail correspondent, tearfully writes about how she was held up at customs and cited that as proof of discrimination against her as an Asian. She was ashamed to be a Canadian, blah blah and went on and on how a white person would never have been inconvenienced and Customs hates Asians. She printed the name of the poor 'racist customs official.'

Of course turns out that they had a totally legitimate reason e.g. they were looking for someone with same description or name and after confidentially explained to her she backtracked publicly.

Another friend of mine kept getting delayed at customs till she found out that she happened to fit perfect profile of a drug 'mule' - something the agent probably shouldn't have told her.

Typically there's a good reason and typically you don't get told what that reason is.

So back to the story of the Polish pillows. What happened afterwards? Were the pillows replaced?
    * It's about safety, stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    I do not doubt that such stories are true. Such things certainly happen. Some people in a position of authority confuse the words "official" and "officious." To say that they are the norm would be false. I have crossed the border on many, many occasions and the only time that I've had an issue, is when the two people in the vehicle with me had been charged with crimes years before (one frivolous complaint and the other a shoplifting charge as a kid; no conviction). In that case I simply had to cool my heels for an hour, while they were treated to more than the usual number of questions.
    I guess I'm just unlucky then. I have had to wait and empty the car at the Fort Francis Border crossing because the customs agent didn't understand the term 'Cottaging'. If it was a car of kids but I was with my fiancee and her parents. Not to mention they asked my future father in law to take off the bandages on his broken arm (couldn't set it until swelling went down) even though we had an xray in the trunk of his arm. I was informed that next time when asked what my business was I should have said 'Vacationing' rediculous. I guess I just get the 'special' guards who are bored.

Tons and tons of people play the race card everyday and usually don't realize how foolish they look or sound when doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by AdRath View Post
    I guess I'm just unlucky then. I have had to wait and empty the car at the Fort Francis Border crossing because the customs agent didn't understand the term 'Cottaging'. If it was a car of kids but I was with my fiancee and her parents. Not to mention they asked my future father in law to take off the bandages on his broken arm (couldn't set it until swelling went down) even though we had an xray in the trunk of his arm. I was informed that next time when asked what my business was I should have said 'Vacationing' rediculous. I guess I just get the 'special' guards who are bored.
    I dunno man, again it sounds like maybe you are the problem........

dropgear

Quote Originally Posted by johnp View Post
    So back to the story of the Polish pillows. What happened afterwards? Were the pillows replaced?
    No, they weren't. And what are they going to do, go to Walmart and buy $15 pillows? I asked dad to follow up; he definitely didn't want anything to do with the border ... Far more interested in putting that affair behind them and enjoying their rare time together.

He crossed the border every day for 3 or 4 years when he was working in Detroit .. he's aware of the pointlessness of trying to fight the system on the "front lines."

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    I dunno man, again it sounds like maybe you are the problem........
    I honestly don't bring attitude at all. I've crossed so many times its all routine. I was debating getting Nexus just to avoid hassles but I don't cross as often anymore to make it worth it. The rest of my family has Nexus passes.

I honestly don't bring attitude at all. I've crossed so many times its all routine. I was debating getting Nexus just to avoid hassles but I don't cross as often anymore to make it worth it. The rest of my family has Nexus passes.
    Nexus is pretty sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    Nexus is pretty sweet.
    except if your the only one in the family without it. lol Always the reason they have to wait in the long line

except if your the only one in the family without it. lol Always the reason they have to wait in the long line

See, see what I mean!!!!!

YOU are the problem!!!!!!!

lol

I usually find it worse going into the US. Everytime they look at my Canadian passport I get the question: "So, where were you born?" . Then the questions start. I mean it's a pretty remote place, but you should know better being a customs agent. I had some fun times too after having a US TN Visa and being back in Canada. One time I almost missed a flight at the airport because they grilled me for 1.5 hours!!! Finally I had enough and was like... "Why the hell would I want to work in the US as an illegal, when I have ****** education and can find a job in Canada without any problems?" That seemed to make him happy and he let me go.

Coming back from Germany I was checked 4 times by customs and this was just on the Canadian side. . .

1) first time immediately at the gate, two officials were checking passports, asked me how long I was gone

2) then we lined up for actual customs who checked my passport again and claims sheet, she made scribbles on my sheet, she asked what I was doing in Europe

3) another officer then examined the scribbles of the 2nd officer

4) finally once i had my bags, another officer checked and took my claims sheet

someone please explain to me why one check isn't sufficient?

noobinacan

they are there to serve you. DON't be intimidated by 5 of them standing around you. specially if you have done nothing wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by noobinacan View Post
    they are there to serve you. DON't be intimidated by 5 of them standing around you. specially if you have done nothing wrong.
    Your guilt or inocense matters little with the powers they have to act without evidence just on suspicion.

motley

.........................the Lavender Hill mob.

How flippin' old are you???

Quote Originally Posted by motley View Post
    How flippin' old are you???
    Not quite that old, but I'm a fan of old movies (and Turner can burn in hell).
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

motley

Not quite that old, but I'm a fan of old movies (and Turner can burn in hell).
    I probably just dated myself.

Quote Originally Posted by motley View Post
    I probably just dated myself.
    Pretty much. I was wondering if anyone here was old enough to get it.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

My experience going into the usa customs is worse. I used to live 15 minutes from the border and needed to mail a letter overseas but canada post was on strike. so i figure hey lets pop over, send the letter and fill my tank too... 1 hour to cross the border... I'm the only person there... I had a busted latch on the rear hatch so the customs agent figured that the rear panel had been off in order to fix the latch (wouldn't the latch be fixed and not still busted at that point?). the screws were practically rusted in place yet he was insistant that there was something behind that panel... and guess who got to put the panel back on...
    coming back... total opposite. canada customs asked whats in the back, told them just some junk (you know stuff like maps, dog toys) and if i had anything to declare (do you declare gasoline?) and i was on my way.... i've never had a problem coming into canada. maybe us customs people don't like people spending money in their country...
    x

Pretty much. I was wondering if anyone here was old enough to get it.
    Not me.... and proud of it
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.