19 year old, looking to ride

Thread: 19 year old, looking to ride

Academic

19 year old, looking to ride

im 19 living in richmond hill

i really want to get a bike but im scared of insurance prices

if i were g2m2 on a really old bike:

1988 honda cbr 250r

does anyone know how much roughly id be dishing out? and does the year of the bike make that much of a difference?

thanks

Re: 19 year old, looking to ride

my 16 year old cousin just got his bike its a 2005 gs500f and hes paying $2000 no collision.

Academic

good to know thanks

do you think it will make a difference though considering this bike is a 1988 and only a 250 cc engine? or am i better off just getting a newer bike in terms of insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Academic View Post
    good to know thanks

do you think it will make a difference though considering this bike is a 1988 and only a 250 cc engine? or am i better off just getting a newer bike in terms of insurance
    depends on the company. for example statefarm goes my cc's so the year of the bike does not matter.

1990 CBR250R, G1M2, 18, 1 mil liability = $1860 a year. Your rate would be almost the same. This is kingsway btw. There are not really any other companies that would take you.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

statefarm would not take you for a while and year of bike vs insurance doesnt really make a difference with most company's. my 92' zx7 is the same to insure as a 2000 zx7r, and my first bike 1990 yamaha rz350 was about $1500 a year no collision under my dads name. if you want a cool classic thats unique go for the 250 if you want reliable and a dime a dozen go for newer. its personal taste i like unique bikes some people want the latest and greatest. i had a 90' 350 2 stroke for my first bike and i wish i didnt sell it. would still smoke all the 500cc's out there. hope you get what your looking for. you probably wont get insurance for under $1600 so expect to pay at least that.

1620/year on a 1992 FZR 600... with car and life insurance bundle from statefarm...

21 years old at the time with a GM2
    ~~~Carpe Diem~~~
    *Support Our Troops*
    ---> 1992 FZR600 - SOLD <---
    ---> 2004 CBR 600RR <---
    ---> 1981 CB 750C - PROJECT <---

Quote Originally Posted by zacm7 View Post
    my 16 year old cousin just got his bike its a 2005 gs500f and hes paying $2000 no collision.
    Whos your cousin with?

honestly, any statefarm...

Sandy Mackenzie Ins Agcy Inc-State Farm Insurance Agent

im 24 m1, and my insurance is less than 1000/year for a 50cc or 125cc (couple bucks more for teh 125)

i thought i would be much much worse, but for $20 a week i can ride, so life is good lol...

not to mention my rates get cut more than 50 percent in 8 months when i turn 25...wow...love it.

staffpro

can i being 19 with a GM2 and car insurance for 3 years get a cheaper rate if say my dad who is 50 got his m1 and then make him primary and me secondary on a 1997-2000 600cc supersport?

Quote Originally Posted by staffpro View Post
    can i being 19 with a GM2 and car insurance for 3 years get a cheaper rate if say my dad who is 50 got his m1 and then make him primary and me secondary on a 1997-2000 600cc supersport?
    No. Bikes are rated based upon the highest rated driver. The insurance company will rate you and then your father, and charge whichever results in the highest premium.

Note also that the application for auto insurance in Ontario asks, "Is the applicant both the Registered Owner AND the actual owner of the described automobile?"
    Twitter @Avi_Singh_
    www.avisingh.com

Keep in mind some of the companies won't offer theft or collision on bikes of a certain age unless you have had the bike appraised by a mechanic.
    My '85 Rebel doesn't have theft on it because of this, so I'm looking into it as I've already had one bike stolen.

staffpro

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post
    No. Bikes are rated based upon the highest rated driver. The insurance company will rate you and then your father, and charge whichever results in the highest premium.

Note also that the application for auto insurance in Ontario asks, "Is the applicant both the Registered Owner AND the actual owner of the described automobile?"
    so my dad would have to have his m2 or higher than me?

Sounds to me like it doesn't matter what he has, they will rate you and him individually, and then the cost will be determined based on which of you will be the more expensive.

If your dad's quote is $A, and yours is $B, the company will quote you whichever is more expensive between Quote A and Quote B.

Quote Originally Posted by dy9213 View Post
    1990 CBR250R, G1M2, 18, 1 mil liability = $1860 a year. Your rate would be almost the same. This is kingsway btw. There are not really any other companies that would take you.
    1+ , rates differ by person's location/history/bla bla.
    So w.e these guys say, don't expect to get the same. Call them up yourself and see.
    I'm 20 (about to hit 21) with g2/m1 when I applied for my insurance (now I have my G), and I'm paying roughly 3 grand for my 2008 250R.

First time you ride, you will get dinged pretty hardcore. After that it kinda gets lower but don't expect TOO much. Point being, call yourself!

Quote Originally Posted by staffpro View Post
    so my dad would have to have his m2 or higher than me?
    No, he can have his M. But since you're in the household with your licence, they'll check that you're young (high risk) and throw the rate for your dad.. I THINK thats how it works.
    Since I know for Auto, they check how many drivers are in the house (but they dont check who's the most highest risk in the family and rate them upon that risky driver).

staffpro

Quote Originally Posted by Avi Singh View Post

weird it doesn't really work that way for cars, when my rents added me to their policies for two cars which are both fairly new it was just like an additional payment not a completely new policy based on me being the riskiest driver.

i'm surprised at how much insurance increased by...when I started riding at age 18 (2003), i was only paying 1250 (lib only) on a EX500...