XR650L vs. DR650 vs. KLR650 .... help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XR650L vs. DR650 vs. KLR650 .... help!

closed

closed
    Last edited by alzride; 08-13-2008 at 09:27 AM.

Re: XR650L vs. DR650 vs. KLR650 .... help!

The new 2008 Model KLR650 is dirt cheap, comes with a host of new features and from what I have weaned from some owners of it, is an absolutely awesome.

To quote one owner: "It's the most bike you can buy".

Nites

I've got a KLR.
    Ride to work most every day, Ajax to Brampton. via the hiway.
    And use it to do light duty(mostly) offroad stuff. Single track is tough, but can be done if you don't mind humping a heavy bike.

its my only bike and getting to work is my priority....somewhat comfy too.
    Also my car costs $65 to fill, van $90, the KLR, $25.

while the honda is better in the dirt, I spend most of my time on hiway slabs, the KLR was
    the perfect match in both its on/off capabilities and its price.

YOU KNOW YOU WANT ANOTHER!!!! the new ones are nice....more road oriented too....

http://www.odsc.on.ca

http://www.advrider.com/forums/

Go there and use "Search" option. This topic was discussed since all these bikes were released... for many years LOL
    Alex - Aurora
    Looking for a bike/parts/gear/accessories?

YOU KNOW YOU WANT ANOTHER!!!! the new ones are nice....more road oriented too....[/quote]

LOL. I sort of do but fell like I've 'been there done that'. I came across a KLR; it's an '03, 23K, new tires, chain and sprokets ... $3200 sounds like a good price right?

at a glance that seems like a good price... make sure the required mods have been done or you do them yourself... The KLR is a good bike man....mine has well over 40k, is now my co-daily rider and runs like a champ...
    www.shanekingsley.com - House (and jungle) Music All Night Long

The Big Map of Ontario's Best Roads.

TALK HIM/HER DOWN TO $2800 AND YOUR LAUGHING...
    An 03 for under 3 grand is great....as shane said, make sure the doo is done and the valves
    checked. rode mine to work today @ 6am on the 407, all alone, ......BEAUTIFUL......

Go to www.thumpertalk.com Suzuki DR forum and take a big helping of koolaid. None of the big 650 Jap bikes are ever going to be great dirt bikes. Stock, the XR650L is the best (had one). The DR650 is the best compromise for all round type riding especially if you dont mind doing a few mods. Actually, a lot of mods, come to think off it. My DR has:
    heavier springs front + back
    cartridge emulaters (forks)
    beefy aluminum triple clamp
    Mikuni 40mm Flatside, the best mod, bar none
    Home bodged Gixxer 1000 ti muffler using Hindle midpipe
    520 chain conversion
    19" front wheel, dual sport D607 tire
    3.5x17 rear rim/140 tire
    skid plate
    low profile (DRZ250) tail light
    factory rack
    Corbin seat, a better seat is vital
    As you can see, it's not much of a trail bike any more but it'll do gravel roads all day and no problem going of road if you keep the speed down and respect polar moment of inertia. But the best part is that it makes a good twisty backroader. Not braggin, just sayin.
    Last edited by inreb; 07-19-2008 at 06:47 PM.

I have a 2001 DR650 and it's a lot of fun. I think it's got more power and is lighter than the KLR. Not sure about the XR though.
    I commute with it every day downtown and the air-cooling hasn't been a problem in traffic. At worst, the bike seems a little less powerful when hot but not by much. I'd rather have that than have to worry about the potential issues with a liquid cooled bike though.
    As already mentioned, you probably want to get a new seat if you get a DR as it can get uncomfortable on longer rides.

KLR650!!! I had a 2000....had all the lil mods done to it... LOVED that bike....much like my old SV...I want another! the new ones look ghey! I want the big dirty!!!!

I may buy another in the next year or so...get it all pimped out for long trips and such...I love to camp on a bike...my GSXR kicks my *** though...and no room to pack tent etc etc...

DR is air cooled, has lil less ground clearance... good bike though.

don't get an XR650L... I've seen one seize up right in front of my with less than 2000 kms on it, heard of a bunch of em with engine problems...
    Justin in Barrie...

Thanks guys. I have noticed quite a few XRs with 20-30k with rebuilt engines. Even considering this ... can you say 'expensive'! Nothing of the sort with KLRs ... they seem bulletproof by all accounts and cheap by comparison. The '03 with 23K is gone. I'm stalking a '99 KLR cream puff with only 17K on it. The necessities seem to be done on it and it's certified with nice off-road rubber. Fingers crossed.

As for DRs, I'm surprised/impressed about the cooling ability in traffic ... finding one is an issue tho. KLRs are a dime a dozen by comparison. Too bad coz if I did find one I would consider.

Quote Originally Posted by pacmann33 View Post
    KLR650!!! I had a 2000....had all the lil mods done to it... LOVED that bike....much like my old SV...I want another! the new ones look ghey! I want the big dirty!!!!

I may buy another in the next year or so...get it all pimped out for long trips and such...I love to camp on a bike...my GSXR kicks my *** though...and no room to pack tent etc etc...

DR is air cooled, has lil less ground clearance... good bike though.

don't get an XR650L... I've seen one seize up right in front of my with less than 2000 kms on it, heard of a bunch of em with engine problems...
    FWIW, the DR has a very clever oil cooling system, impossible to be as effective as the KLR's water cooling but way ahead of the XR's aircooling. I like the concept of what a KLR is, just coudnt get past the 38mm noodle fork and tiny front brake. Put a large capacity IMS tank and Corbin seat on the DR and you've got the KLR beat hands down in my humble opinion, of course.

Aprilia SXV 550

Final Answer... lock this thread.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Aprilia SXV 550

Final Answer... lock this thread.
    Let me guess....you own one of these Aprillias? Eyetalian? No noodle fork on that puppy, I'll bet.

I've had two KLR 650's.

My buddy had an XR650L - we have equal abilities, we used to ride smaller bikes.

He could leave me way behind in the trails.

The Honda is simply way better off road.

Touring - and we did the east coast on these - the KLR hands down.

I thought this thread was locked and I called hands down first anyway and I get a window seat on the way home.

In a tourettes like outburst I bought a DRZ400! I know!!! Decided that off-road ability was more important to me than any touring ability. from what i read, everyone seemed to agree any of the 650s were too top heavy for any true off-road fun ..... now all I need is a trail to try it out on....

Thanks for all your inputs guys and see you out there!

Quote Originally Posted by alzride View Post
    In a tourettes like outburst I bought a DRZ400! I know!!! Decided that off-road ability was more important to me than any touring ability. from what i read, everyone seemed to agree any of the 650s were too top heavy for any true off-road fun ..... now all I need is a trail to try it out on....

We got plenty of them up north, get some knobby tires and come join us..

Congrats on the new ride

Quote Originally Posted by alzride View Post

Good choice! I'm looking seriously at the DRZ as a beginner bike. Keep me posted and let us know how you like it.
    Body by Nautilus, brain by Mattel

I let you know how it works out. Not so good on the first 10min ride ..... got a flat and it overheated .

BTW. Generally dual sport are amazing beginner bikes. It teaches you to be smooth while still being forgiving.

They're also good fun for non beginners .... once this 'glitch' is worked out I plan on riding the crap out of it ...