Can You Blue Plate A Street Legal Enduro After It's Only Got Trail Plates?

Thread: Can You Blue Plate A Street Legal Enduro After It's Only Got Trail Plates?

Can You Blue Plate A Street Legal Enduro After It's Only Got Trail Plates?

looking to buy a 1984 XL600 that has been plated for the trails for a few years, im not sure if it's ever been licensed for the street but it is street legal from the factory and still has all working pieces, MTO guy says i need a bunch of crap like a sworn notorized (sp?) letter, a picture of the decal from the manufacturer on the frame that states it meets all regulations etc., certification, blah blah blah, is this all true or shouldn't it be as simple as getting it certified ?????

any help would be appreciated, thanks

Re: Can You Blue Plate A Street Legal Enduro After It's Only Got Trail Plates?

With the XL Series I think you are in ok shape.
    As far as I know they have metal tanks, and were street plated from factory so you "should" be ok.

I would double check with the ministry, but I am sure this wont be a problem. People unplate cars all the time and replate them

Basically, you just got to find a place to safety it. I can help point you in the proper direction if you want. The ministry needs to know nothing once you show up with the safety papers.
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by quinner16 View Post
    looking to buy a 1984 XL600 that has been plated for the trails for a few years, im not sure if it's ever been licensed for the street but it is street legal from the factory and still has all working pieces, MTO guy says i need a bunch of crap like a sworn notorized (sp?) letter, a picture of the decal from the manufacturer on the frame that states it meets all regulations etc., certification, blah blah blah, is this all true or shouldn't it be as simple as getting it certified ?????

any help would be appreciated, thanks
    Let us know what happens, cause the word on the street is that once the bike is registered as a green plate, it can never be blue plated again. (and vise versa ! )

I’d give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

As long as you can get the safety for it they will give you a plate.

Quote Originally Posted by carito View Post
    Why do you people keep posting information that is blatantly inaccurate??

this is NOT the case at all.

Quote Originally Posted by carito View Post
    Not quite as simple as that anymore. If you try various offices you may find one that is not up to speed on the new rules/regs and get lucky. I guess its the one benefit of having the offices all privately owned is that they all do things a little differently and don't follow the same processes or haven't take the rules/memos seriously. But I'm sure a lot of them just issue it to make a plate/sticker sale and let the government pull the plug on them later like they have already done in Quebec. In fact they only have to look up the year/model to see if it was blacklisted as an offroad only model, which is what they are supposed to do.
    I'm in agreement that if the bike meets the HTA requirements and gets a safety it should be good to go, the same as any other 'custom' built bike/car/motorhome/trailer. But they continue to try to close the door on these types of vehicles, probably so they can get more money from the manufacturers who have to pay out BIG money to meet Canadian regulations. Because of this and the low sales #'s here, the manufacturers/distributors keep limiting the # of models and types of bikes imported, especially dualsports which is still a small piece of the market in the big picture unfortunately.

Thanks for posting this. Answered all my questions i had about this new ( unfair) law.