Progress on my Yamaha YZF 600r .. seat, light, tail, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Progress on my Yamaha YZF 600r .. seat, light, tail, etc.

dropgear

Red face Progress on my Yamaha YZF 600r .. seat, light, tail, etc.

1997 Yamaha YZF 600R as I had it earlier this summer (May 200 .. just minor stuff like rim tape, lights, tank pad, oil cap, etc.

THEN:

NOW:

================================================== ===============

The work-in-progress:

The rear was starting to annoy me .. it's so long, gets in the way when I'm 6 point turning out of my backyard, and girls always want a ride. So, decided to make a solo setup.

So removed much of the rear plastic .. fairings, chain guard, wheel hugger .. The rear light sticks out .. common mod on the YZF 600R is to tuck it back in. But I need more. So I bought a new seat, and cut it as short as I could while retaining the resting position of the seat on a rear cross-brace.

Originally I had brown pleather on the seat Because black vinyl is for everybody else ... But the clash was just too much, so it's in it's current state (black dyed vinyl) The guy who did the seat did a great job! Lewis Upholstery in Guelph. $150 or so. Lots of stitching, pics don't do it justice. The *** end finishing was "ok" , mostly because of the shape of the seat plastic.

Made these custom fairings out of aluminum. Lots of help from this board, appreciated. They've since been primed and painted black. 95% of the black paint stuck fine .. the rest chipped off easily under wear and tear. Hmm.

Bought a Honda 2002 F4i light .. wired and soldered and hacked it into shape. LED, integrated signals, etc. Mounted the license plate all pretty (brass finishings), except I managed to snag it on the tire on my first test ride ... Anyways, pushed further back now, actually lights up better, so probably for the best. Tight and clean install, even when the seat is removed.

Last edited by dropgear; 03-20-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Re: Progress on my Yamaha YZF 600r .. seat, light, tail, etc.

The first pic with the brown seat was kinda, AHHHHHH! , but then that side shot definetely grew on me. Thumbs up for being original!
    "Motorcyclists do it all the time, why don't human beings?"

Jeremy Clarkson on 'just driving'

dropgear

I know man .. it's tough to appreciate at first, and i knew that going in .. but I had a vision photoshopped, and once I get the black skirts underneath the brown leather it'll do away with much of the red/silver/brown clashing.

Post up the photoshop! I'm curious to see what it'll look like all done.
    2009 Hypermotard 1100

Right on, Ill be keeping my eye on this one....cant wait to see what it turns out like, not sure of what to make of it yet..

"If you cant say something nice, dont say anything at all" Mom
    Thanks Ma, saved my *** again.

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post

ohhhh ohhh...you implying something? Almost got me there man

Dropgear: we need an update, if you have progress post it up man. I love modded bikes done right, one of a kind. I'm not sure where this is going right now but it's sure unique.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

dropgear

Quote Originally Posted by inreb View Post
    thanks mom.

dropgear

Quote Originally Posted by dy9213 View Post
    Dropgear: we need an update, if you have progress post it up man. I love modded bikes done right, one of a kind. I'm not sure where this is going right now but it's sure unique.
    Sigh, sadly nothing yet. I still love it - in all its beligerence. It draws a LOT of commentary from people.

Anywho, talked to a local bike builder and bounced some design ideas off him. He said "gotta go naked .. it's a losing battle with the colour in the front." He also said that he loves the colour of the seat, lots of heritage, but it takes up too much space and "edges badly". Needs a black base, or a chrome base. The reason that red, brown, and silver work on old Porsches and Ferrarris and such is because the red is totally dominant, and the brown is isolated. Here, the red feels like an afterthought. I'm still hoping the matte black will help.

New headlights are in the mail (H3 projectors ..) .. still trying to find some time to make the rear fairings: actually, I just need to acquire some new tools ... or a friend with said tools.
    Last edited by dropgear; 07-25-2008 at 11:57 PM.

My Moms' got tools.

Are you gonna go naked? I really want to, I cringe everytime I gotta take the fairings off, I think Im missing half the screws anyways.
    Maybe it'll be my winter project.

dropgear

Progress today. Did as dy suggested, and powered through with the 2mm aluminum. Very easy to work with.

Still working on the mounting and the paint.

Right-hand side

Left hand side

Quote Originally Posted by dropgear View Post
    Progress today. Did as dy suggested, and powered through with the 2mm aluminum. Very easy to work with.

Still working on the mounting and the paint.

Right-hand side

Left hand side

MOMMMYYYY EEEEEEEE

dropgear

what are you, 12? get out of here if you don't like it.

personally, i'm getting a kick out of the work.

Don't like it

Then again i hate works in progress

I'm sure I'll change my mind once we see your ideas and vision start to come to fruition but for now i'm just not feeling it
    KODMONKY When you're Happy and you know it...SMILE

what are you, 12? get out of here if you don't like it.

personally, i'm getting a kick out of the work.
    Easy big fella, you're getting honest input from an anonymous source. No offense intended, maybe a little humour gone stale.

dropgear

No worries man

As much as I know i'm experimenting here .. it's fun as hell to get my hands dirty. I'm not too worried about modern style anymore. I can go back to stock at any time. I kinda followed a whim with this seat, with an idea in my head .. and the worst that'll happen is I'll be out $200 and have an ugly bike.

To be honest, the ugliness is really growing on me! Now I feel a lot of SS bikes just .... kinda look the same. Starting to get an appreciation for custom jobbies in general.

Other than white FZR400s .. I still <3. Sigh.

No worries man

As much as I know i'm experimenting here .. it's fun as hell to get my hands dirty. I'm not too worried about modern style anymore. I can go back to stock at any time. I kinda followed a whim with this seat, with an idea in my head .. and the worst that'll happen is I'll be out $200 and have an ugly bike.

To be honest, the ugliness is really growing on me! Now I feel a lot of SS bikes just .... kinda look the same. Starting to get an appreciation for custom jobbies in general.

Other than white FZR400s .. I still <3. Sigh.
    I think I know what you're doing and why you're doing it. That's cool. Me trying to save you from yourself is uncool. Just because my boulevard of broken dreams is littered with bad mods doesnt mean I shoud dump on your parade. Onwards and upwards. Hi ho silver.

dropgear

So, epic fail on the paintjob.

The zinc stuff went on alright, dried overnight. Though it's not very .. abrasion resistant.

Anywho, moved on to the black paint and ... bubbling!! Where the hell are the bubbles coming from! I wipe the paint off with a rag, and the zinc stuff comes with it where the bubbles were. Otherwise it sticks tight. What the hell happened?! Must've been moisture or something.

So .. just finished sanding. Back at it tomorrow, for try #2.

dropgear

Success with the paint!! Though next time I'm going full-matte rather than the semi-gloss .. it's too hard to get "right" .. 4 coats later.

Love this side:

This side, not as much:

The gapping isn't "ideal", but no worse than stock, so that's a great success

Some unexpected bends took about 1mm off the front. Note for next time: test-fit taking the seat on and off a few times to check for spacing (before drilling)