Know your rights - and excercise them

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Know your rights - and excercise them

Know your rights - and excercise them

This is an American site, but I found it a very interesting source of information about your rights when dealing with the police, especially when it comes to searches of one's person or property:

Flex Your Rights

Very interesting comments and testimonials too.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

Re: Know your rights - and excercise them

You'd be better off posting a Canadian site. No point in reinforcing the incorrect information from American TV.

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_d...faq_id=4000663
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    You'd be better off posting a Canadian site. No point in reinforcing the incorrect information from American TV.

http://www.settlement.org/sys/faqs_d...faq_id=4000663
    I didn't know there was a Canadian site, thanks. Why is that American information incorrect? I supposed just saying "I do not consent..." cannot hurt in almost any civilized country.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    This is an American site, but I found it a very interesting source of information about your rights when dealing with the police, especially when it comes to searches of one's person or property:

Flex Your Rights

Very interesting comments and testimonials too.
    Oh yeah, great site.

BTW, I posted the link to it a couple of years ago, when someone had an interesting chat with an OPP officer

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...4&postcount=44
    Security transcends technology

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
    I didn't know there was a Canadian site, thanks. Why is that American information incorrect? I supposed just saying "I do not consent..." cannot hurt in almost any civilized country.
    There are minor variations between Canada and Us law; frequently enough to cause difficulty when trying to be a roadside lawyer.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    There are minor variations between Canada and Us law; frequently enough to cause difficulty when trying to be a roadside lawyer.
    Good to know. I found the general "respectful denial" approach advocated by the site harmless and universally applicable. Asking for a lawyer is not the same as playing one yourself. You can always ask the officer to confirm or deny your rights anyway ("Am I free to go now?"). Can't see anything wrong with asking whether I'm obliged by the law to allow them to enter, open or do something when they ask for it. "Do I have a legal obligation to allow you to search my car/bike/home/pockets officer?"

It's about not being bamboozled or intimidated into waving your rights. "I do not consent..." won't mean anything if my rights are not offended and the officer will face no physical threat or resistance from me in any event.

or its just a sales pitch to convince you to always call a lawyer, regardless of the situation. Not everybody has deep enough pockets to be able to have a lawyer on speed dial.

Quote Originally Posted by tiger View Post
    or its just a sales pitch to convince you to always call a lawyer, regardless of the situation. Not everybody has deep enough pockets to be able to have a lawyer on speed dial.
    The law applies to everyone... not just lawyers... You simply have to know a little to make sure you don't get screwed or do... depending on how much you know.
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

videosilva

How is some one that is Paid to protect you end up being the one you need protection from ?

Quote Originally Posted by videosilva View Post
    How is some one that is Paid to protect you end up being the one you need protection from ?
    Paid by us to boot.... the world works in mysterious ways...
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

The police are not paid to protect you.

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Paid by us to boot.... the world works in mysterious ways...
    The best line.... `I pay your salary`. Usually said by somebody who is on welfare and lives in government housing.

Protection from what?? Unlawful search and seizure of the guns or drugs you're carrying? I don't carry any so search away. If you do maybe that's the problem......

Quote Originally Posted by GooseYZF View Post
    Protection from what?? Unlawful search and seizure of the guns or drugs you're carrying? I don't carry any so search away. If you do maybe that's the problem......
    A variation on, "If you've got nothing to hide, then why worry?" That's a poor substitute for being secure in your personal freedoms. It's also a primary reason for the erosion of personal liberty in the "Defender of Freedom" (tm) to the south. After all, why should you care if the government is bugging your phone, if you aren't a terrorist?

motley

Quote Originally Posted by Smokeandapancake View Post
    Yep, they get paid to eat donuts and wrestle every nickle they can from the pockets of road users. B^D

Check the words on the banner here http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/

Your post has me a little confused now

http://blogs.salon.com/0002762/2008/06/27.html#a2910

"Sometimes people say I shouldn't mind being searched if I have nothing to hide. I immediately accuse them of having a swastika tattooed on their genitalia -- if they have nothing to hide, then surely they shouldn't mind dropping their pants to prove me wrong."

Vlad, as I said, it is a great site... it's a sure conversation-starter...
    Security transcends technology

What are they paid to do? It seems to me the fundamental purpose of the police is to serve and protect? Has this changed?

Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

The best line.... `I pay your salary`. Usually said by somebody who is on welfare and lives in government housing.
    "Don't worry, this one is on me" should shut them right up.

Quote Originally Posted by motley View Post
    Yep, they get paid to eat donuts and wrestle every nickle they can from the pockets of road users. B^D

Check the words on the banner here http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/

Your post has me a little confused now
    You *do* realize that police do more than enforce the HTA? Or do you conveniently ignore that so that you can ***** about getting traffic tickets?
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 07-16-2008 at 10:07 AM.