Quick Steps to use Seafoam - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quick Steps to use Seafoam

Re: Quick Steps to use Seafoam

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    On the bottle it says one full can is good for a 30-90 litre tank I believe (consult your can to be sure).

Divide 30 to 90 litres by 2.7 litres... Divide the number of mililitres in a bottle of seafoam by the answer you get... That's the range of how much you can put in.
    Math is hard.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by m.breen View Post
    My mistake using seafoam........I had about 6 litres of gas in tank, was fully loaded bike for camping including trailer, put half can of seafoam in tank....barely made it out of the underground parking, bike ran like crap and would not go over 80 kmph. Crap was puking out my air cleaner ( more than usual for a harley sportster ). Ended up changing the plugs on the road ( always travel with spares ), front plug looked o.k. rear plug was black, maybe I was running on one cylinder??? and had to get a air filter asap, the one in the bike was fine when we started out. I had no problem using seafoam last year, guess I used too much with not enough gas this time!!! Good luck. ( I'll likely try it again later ).
    Doing a "hard" seafoam treatment, as you did, works very well at cleaning the carbs out, but the more seafoam you put in, the more your engine doesn't like it. It'll probably run poorly for that tank of gas, and when you fill up again, you'll see the true results.

The other thing to remember is that, particularly on carbs that are really dirty, using Seafoam can make things worse. It will loosen all the varnish and garbage that was previously trapped, and that stuff has to go somewhere.

My best results for my vintage bike is a hard treatment of Seafoam, which for me is a full can of seafoam into the tank and then fill it to the top with gas. Run the crap out of it, and then sync and tune the carbs when they're clean.
    Past: 03 Suzuki Volusia, 03 Kawasaki Nomad 1500, 06 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 98 Suzuki TL1000R.
    Present: 1982 Yamaha Seca 750, 08 Yamaha FZ1, 04 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom

Cela est bien dit, mais il faut cultiver notre jardin. Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by OpenGambit View Post
    I am not giving out any advice. I am just mocking you.
    P.S. Your spelling is horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by oomis View Post
    Math is hard.
    Calculus is hard.

This is algebra. Algebra is easy.

Were do i buy some of this here seafoam?

I think I've only ever seen it at NAPA and one other place (which I can't remember), so best bet would be NAPA.

Some locations may not have it in stock, when I picked up my bottle it was the last one left. So be sure to call them up first and ask. They'll know what it is and should be able to find it pretty quickly if they do have any around =).

I have been using it for 6 years in my bikes.
    When I first got wind of it i phoned the company and talked to one of their chemist/engineer types. He advised me that as a petroleum product it is safe to use in the tank and in the oil.

Nothing beats a proper diassembly and cleaning of carbs but half a can in a tank of gas will go a long way to cleaning out gunge. It won't balance the carbs but it will clean things so its not a bad place to start if the bike is not idling or bogs.

As mentioned it also acts as a fuel stabilizer and I use it all year round in every tank as I sometimes don't get out for a couple of weeks or more and I like to try and ride on clear days over the winter. A couple of caps full per tank.

In addition, it can be used in oil and it does an excellent job of cleaning gunky oil passages. On any older bike I would put in half a can and ride between 500 and 1000 km. You would be amazed at what comes out. I have done this on 4 bikes now and never any issues.

For under $10 (Car Quest) I think its another good tool.

Give it a go.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by Spyug; 07-15-2009 at 06:36 PM.
    "Slowest beasts are always strongest and manage to live the longest"
    "If it's no Scottish.......it's crap!"
    "Ama lyin?"

1983 GS750E Black Booty
    1982 GS750 SZ Katana Wee Beastie II
    1983 GS550E Basket Case from Hell

Some partsources have it. The one in Whitby/Oshawa does, but the one on queensway doesnt, and the one on st claire doesnt. The one on queensway has a big sign out front that says "SEAFOAM COMING SOON" though haha.

i got some at national exhaust in brampton. $7.89 after tax

Seafoam did nothing for my 03 GSXR 750. I put half a can on about 2-3L of gas left in the gas tank. Rode for about 10-15 kms, no smoke came out the exhaust or any rough idling people were describing.

I dunno maybe when I put some fresh gas tomorrow to fill up, I'll notice a difference.

Ive read somewhere the white stuff is the residue of whatever the heck it clears out... but I have no idea who posted that or if it's at all credible... anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Rossi86 View Post
    Seafoam did nothing for my 03 GSXR 750. I put half a can on about 2-3L of gas left in the gas tank. Rode for about 10-15 kms, no smoke came out the exhaust or any rough idling people were describing.

I dunno maybe when I put some fresh gas tomorrow to fill up, I'll notice a difference.
    if nothing comes out that means your engine is clean!
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by dy9213 View Post
    That's what I was thinking cause I've taken pretty good care of this bike. But I still thought I'd get some smoke out at least when the seafoam itself was burning with the gas...

Quote Originally Posted by dy9213 View Post
    Is this scientifically true or just heard it through the bush?
    Don't take it the wrong way man, I know you know your stuff, that's why I'm asking lol.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Is this scientifically true or just heard it through the bush?
    Don't take it the wrong way man, I know you know your stuff, that's why I'm asking lol.
    haha, no worries. I heard it on this forum before and it makes sense.

If my carbs and engine is dirty, i get alot of smoke from the seafoam. But if i let it run for longer, the smoke goes away. (kinda disappointing actually, always wanted to fill my road with smoke like those youtube vids)

But ya, the only logical conclusion would be that the deposit is getting removed from the engine and when the smoke dies down, less of it is being removed.

The same amount of seafoam is still going through the system.
    FS:[99-02 SV650 Parts, R6 Rim] [SV650 Brake Pads] [50MM Headlight Bracket] [SuperCorsa Scrubs 120/180]
    I want these parts gone! make me an offer.

please email me directly, I don't check the forums anymore. Thanks!

Rep'd and thank you!

I mixed it per the instructions on the can and ran it in the motorcycle and lawnmower.
    the bike seems to be running smoother at idle and the lawnmower is running AWESOME!
    I ran it in the lawnmower first and WOW! by the time I was finished the lawn front and back, the thing was runnning wthout hesitation.
    With these immediate results for $12, I will run another batch late August and continue using it for the future.
    1999 GSXR-600 SRAD