Deal's Gap great but...

Thread: Deal's Gap great but...

Deal's Gap great but...

If you are going to Deal's Gap that is terrific but there are many great roads in the general area that are as good or better. In June I took a ride down there and rode as many backroads as possible. Use the Blue Ridge Parkway as a warm-up, the surface is great the road is fun and more importantly predicable. Once you get used to throwing your bike around start taking the roads off of the parkway down to valleys on either side of the ridge. They are wild, and extremely twisty and most very unpredicable. Take Us 421 I believe, from Bristol Tenn. to Boone NC. this road is called the "Snake" unbelievable! It is in some ways better than the Dragon. There is a section known as the "Playground" turn after turn up and down 2 mountains great asphalt, no traffic, lots of bikes, atruly great ride on the way to Deal's Gap. 58 through Mt. Rogers park in southern Virginia is grat as well. Pretty much any of the "us. routes that cross over the mountains are amazing. South of Penn. the roads aren't heaved up by frost or wrecked by snow removal equipment. So don't just get fixated on the "Dragon" it's great but there many other roads as good without the crowds and law enforment prescence.

Wilko

Re: Deal's Gap great but...

Absolutely correct, we went for the HOG rally but after registering all we did for the next three days was ride. The Cherohala Skyway climbs to about 5600 feet and is a blast to ride with lookouts about every couple miles to take in the sights. Do it! Bill.

Oh man couldnt agree more. It took me months to get back riding here, i missed the twisties sooo much. Another trip back is in order for sure

I am not 100% sure but I could be imaging, where are the roads located that are 12,000 feet above the sea level in North America?

Quote Originally Posted by POLTROJAN View Post
    I am not 100% sure but I could be imaging, where are the roads located that are 12,000 feet above the sea level in North America?
    You're right.. Deal's gap is at about 1600' above sea level

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...37594&t=p&z=15
    "I disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

01001001 00100111 01100100 00100000 01010010
    01100001 01110100 01101000 01100101 01110010
    00100000 01000010 01100101 00100000 01010010
    01101001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111

Myself and 9 friends were there last week, for sure all the roads in the general area are just amazing.
    We were all blown away by the quality and sheer number of curves on every road that we rode on.

I wanna go back!

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Myself and 9 friends were there last week, for sure all the roads in the general area are just amazing.
    We were all blown away by the quality and sheer number of curves on every road that we rode on.

I wanna go back!
    ... and were leaving to go down in 2 weeks time. So looking forward to it ...

I wanna go back!
    I prefer 28 over the dragon. The dragon scared me.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    Totally blows that you guys keep going to all the awesome places (TBay, Deals gap etc etc) while I have something keeping me behind -- getting hitched, work deadlines...
    -- Me fail English? That's unpossible.
    -- This is the sort of English up with which I will not put.

Quote Originally Posted by gcrouse View Post
    Oh man couldnt agree more. It took me months to get back riding here, i missed the twisties sooo much. Another trip back is in order for sure
    I am in that phase right now. Haven't even touched the bike since we got back on the 18th. Not really motivated to ride the roads around here right now.

I wanna go back!
    Yeah I am missing it too DJ. We need to buy some land down there and just camp on it.

Quote Originally Posted by vkhamphi View Post
    28 was nice if you like those long winding curves. Gives you some time to relax. The Dragon does not let up until you finish it. Very intense, but I loved every second of it.
    A coward dies a thousand deaths, a soldier dies but once.

'08 Yamaha WR250X (SuperRetard)
    '03 Suzuki SV1000S Current (Silver Surfer)

'07 Aprilia SXV 5.5 Teefed (Redstar)
    '04 Honda 1000RR Previous (Red1.2)
    '05 Yamaha R6 Previous (Red1)
    '89 Suzuki GS500E Previous (SuziQ)

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Steinberg c/o bjturner View Post
    Tim, if you are reading all this, you should grow the **** up and not be such a ******. you give all us Canadians a bad name. ps, you are no longer welcome here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Steinberg c/o bjturner View Post

Ben Steinberg Deals Gap Resort Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Wind]v[ill View Post
    Totally blows that you guys keep going to all the awesome places (TBay, Deals gap etc etc) while I have something keeping me behind -- getting hitched, work deadlines...

I've heard that getting hitched has a very negative effect on your riding time.

I've heard that getting hitched has a very negative effect on your riding time.
    It's the biggest mistake any human can ever make, don't do it!
    SOAR Novice #113

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    It's the biggest mistake any human can ever make, don't do it!
    He already did.

Moderator Moderator lil red bird's Avatar

He is screwed wait a minute he is married he is not getting screwed
    Mental health who needs it?There is a reason you never see motorcycles infront of a therapists office.