how do i license a new bike (non-registered bike)

Thread: how do i license a new bike (non-registered bike)

how do i license a new bike (non-registered bike)

here's the deal, since the previous deal is almost sour.. I'm looking @ some other bikes..

I've found someone who has a bike that was a prize from a contest.. the bike is new, and not registered..

here's the question, how do I register the bike? there wouldn't be an ownership transfer right? how do i do it?

Re: how do i license a new bike (non-registered bike)

Quote Originally Posted by ah_long View Post
    here's the deal, since the previous deal is almost sour.. I'm looking @ some other bikes..

I've found someone who has a bike that was a prize from a contest.. the bike is new, and not registered..

here's the question, how do I register the bike? there wouldn't be an ownership transfer right? how do i do it?

If its BRAND new, you probably wont need the UVIP (used vehicle information package), although you will need some sort of bill of sale. Just a letter from the seller saying that they sold it to you, include your names, date, VIN, make and model of the bike etc, and for how much you bought the bike for.

If the seller has the bike registered in their name you get them to sign over the ownership part of the permit. Since is not registered, the bill of sale should be enough I think. Then take all that to the MTO. You'll have to pay the PST on the sale amount and they'll issue a new ownership. If you want to get it plated you'll need to get insurance and get the bike safetied as well.

Quote Originally Posted by dudebudstud View Post
    If its BRAND new, you probably wont need the UVIP (used vehicle information package), although you will need some sort of bill of sale. Just a letter from the seller saying that they sold it to you, include your names, date, VIN, make and model of the bike etc, and for how much you bought the bike for.

If the seller has the bike registered in their name you get them to sign over the ownership part of the permit. Since is not registered, the bill of sale should be enough I think. Then take all that to the MTO. You'll have to pay the PST on the sale amount and they'll issue a new ownership. If you want to get it plated you'll need to get insurance and get the bike safetied as well.
    so how do they know the bike was not stolen or anything?
    do i need a bill of sale from the owner? or from the dealer who have awarded the bike..

Do you mean it's not registered or not plated? Because he MUST have some sort of ownership on the thing, otherwise like you said, how do you know it's not stolen. Being not plated is a different story.

If he has ownership papers on it, it would go through like a regular used bike deal, even tho it's brand new. He has to get the UVIP, which is only $20, but at least that will give you all the details you need for peace of mind. At this point, you can transfer the ownership and pay the GST or whatever at the ministry.

To get it plated, you gotta get it certified, go to ministry, and they'll give you plated for it.
    no bike, sold it

If the guy you are buying the bike from has redeemed his winning ticket he will have an ownership.
    If he hasn't redeemed the ticket you get to redeem it and get the ownership.

If he has already redeemed the ticket the government gets sales tax twice.

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    ahhhhh, good old government.
    no bike, sold it

Quote Originally Posted by bitzz View Post
    If the guy you are buying the bike from has redeemed his winning ticket he will have an ownership.
    If he hasn't redeemed the ticket you get to redeem it and get the ownership.

Actually it would likely be declared as income, as it was a prize.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

roland_harrison300200

*deleted*
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 07-15-2008 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Fraudulent posting