How To Do An Oil Change

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Do An Oil Change

How To Do An Oil Change

This is probably one of the easiest "self-maintenance" one can do for their own bike and yet I bet many people have no idea how to do it so I am going to write it all out for you. Hope it’s accurate and it helps. I put in pictures too!

Make sure you get the right oil for your motorcycle. Motor oils come in grades / weights. Each grade is rated for ignition compression (for diesel engines), spark ignition (for gasoline engines) or for both types of engines. Additionally oils can be synthetic or natural, include detergents be a multigrade (20W-50) or single grade (50) and made for motorcycles or cars.

Understanding biker oils is essential to getting the best mc oil. The thickness of the fluid is measure in SAE rating. The lower the number the lighter it is (the easier it flows). When oil gets hot it also flows easier so to compensate for a too light hot oil viscosity mix are available called 20W-50. Which means a cold oil flows like a 20 grade but at high temperature it flows like a thicker 50 grade.

What oil do you need to get? I would suggest a synthetic oil (for modern bikes not for older models) since synthetic holds its properties much better than a natural oil. A specific oil isn’t always the best motorcycle oil and worth the extra investment (only if you hardly ever renew the oil or ride under extreme situations). And a wide multi grade ranges is smarter for the engine.

Four stroke engines store the oil in a reservoir but two stroke engines works in a different way. The oil gets pumped around the moving parts and gets burnt during the combustion process. That’s why you don’t need to drain two stroke engines for maintenance. Just keep them topped up with quality two stroke (!) oil.
    Ref: http://www.best-motorcycle-gear.com/...cycle-oil.html

MOTORCYCLE OIL

Petroleum Based, Multiple Viscosity, SG-Rated, Oils
    Honda GN4
    Kawasaki Premium
    Maxum 4 Premium
    Motul 3000
    Spectro 4
    Torco 4-Cycle
    Torco MPZ
    Synthetic Based and Petroleum/Synthetic Blend
    Multiple Viscosity, SG-Rated Oils
    Honda HP4
    Golden Spectro 4
    Maxum 4
    Maxum 4 Extra
    Motul 3100
    Torco T4-R

THE OIL CHANGE

What you will need:

· Oil
    · Oil Filter (pick these up at your local bike shop)
    · Drain plug washer (recommended)
    · Drain pan (I just use a large flat Tupperware container)
    · Something to help with the clean up like a towel or rag
    · Funnel
    · Socket wrench that will fit your specific drain plug.
    · Tools to remove your body work
    · Absorb all is handy to clean up if you spill
    · Strap wrench
    · Try to have your service manual

Take off the body work if necessary.

Go for a ride. A short 10 min ride ought to do to get the oil warmed up. Oil drains faster when it’s warm. It also stirs up the sediment and mixes it with the used oil ensuring a good flush out. Bike should be at operating temperature before performing an oil change. Turn it off.

Put the bike on its stand. If you have a rear stand I find this works best.

Unscrew the oil filter cap and place it to the side or just leave it unscrewed.

Locate your drain plug. Place your drain pan under the drain plug. Unscrew it with the proper tool. You do not want to strip this.

Let the oil just drain out. BE CAREFUL IT’S HOT!!!

You can now remove the filter. Some more oil will come out when you remove the filter. Take your strap wrench and remove your oil filter.

Install a fresh drain plug washer. Their like a dollar so why not right?

Put the drain bolt back in. These are usually aluminum so DO NOT over tighten. Factory specs can be located in your manual and performed with a torque wrench. If you don’t have a torque wrench, just tighten it good but not too tight.

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT. Now take your new filter and take a drop of clean oil on your finger and rub it around the seal of the new filter. Put on the new filter HAND TIGHT ONLY.

Now pour in the clean oil in the filler whole. Funnel can be used for this. I find that I can get just under 3 quarts of oil but it’s best to check your manual or contact the dealer with the exact recommended level.

Put the cap back on and start it up. Check for leaks as it goes to operating temperature. Turn it off and wait a bit (about 5 min) then check the level again.

Put on the body work and have a safe ride!

Torque Specs on Drain Bolts

APRILIA

DUCATI

HONDA

KAWASAKI

SUZUKI
    2006/2007 GSXR 600/750: 16.5 ft.lbs

TRIUMPH

YAMAHA
    1999/2002 R6 31 ft.lbs
    2003 R6: 34 ft.lbs

MORE TO COME (work computer only allows me to much web access)
    Last edited by Banger; 06-26-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Re: How To Do An Oil Change

nicely done... Will try myself next time. Just paid $125 for an oil/filter change!

Very nice! Should be a sticky so those that don't know can save a crap load of money!

BTW - Oil amounts vary a lot between makes and models. Always check your owners manual for correct amount of oil. Too little, you'll seize the motor. Too much and you'll blow a gasket or something.

Banger - What kind of bike do you have? My bike hold 3.8L of oil. How do you get away with less than 3L?
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

Quote Originally Posted by dwebber7878 View Post
    Very nice! Should be a sticky so those that don't know can save a crap load of money!

BTW - Oil amounts vary a lot between makes and models. Always check your owners manual for correct amount of oil. Too little, you'll seaze the motor. Too much and you'll blow a gasket or something.

Banger - What kind of bike do you have? My bike hold 3.8L of oil. How do you get away with less than 3L?
    I said quarts .... not litres.
    I am just under 3 with an R6

Wall.e coulda used this last week. Instead I had to show him, lol.
    BTW make sure you note that oil drain bolts could be in different spots on different bikes.

As for you R6'ers out there, if you want to leave all your fairings in place without getting them all covered in oil, you may want to cut up a little cardboard box and put a piece of it under your bike where your underside fairings latch together. Angle it towards the front of the bike so the oil drips forward.

It also keeps the oil from shooting across down by the back tire cause there is a good chance your oil pan won't be big enough to cover that entire area

If you have an R6 you know what I'm talkin about

If you guys know the torque specs for your oil drain bolts you should post it up, maybe Banger could include that in her original post. This is what I got off the top of my head.

06/07 GSXR 600/750: 16.5 ft.lbs
    Last edited by amp3d; 06-26-2008 at 10:42 AM.
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I said quarts .... not litres.
    I am just under 3 with an R6

So you did.

3.8 L = 4.01541 Q
    3 Q = 2.83905 L

There's still a big difference!
    Canada is a country that doesn't know where it is going but is determined to set a speed record getting there.

Also people think they have to change the filters at every oil change.
    I have been doing it, but if you read your manuals you only need to change the filter every 18,000 kms. Oil changes every 6,000.

Of course, those numbers only apply if your engine is fully broken in. I suggest doing the filter every other oil change

That could save you money and a little bit of time so you can get out and hit the roads sooner
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Also just a note, some bikes use an Internal oil filter where a bolt is removed, and the filter slides out of the housing. Replace the gasket on the housing (included with the filter) and the washer on the bolt.

mordinad

whoot thanks banger, I was going to do an oil change this week! I have an R6 too. What oil do you use? Amsoil or royal purple?

Post up a guide for changing spark plugs =).

Quote Originally Posted by dwebber7878 View Post
    So you did.

3.8 L = 4.01541 Q
    3 Q = 2.83905 L

There's still a big difference!
    Ok, so maybe that's wrong. I use a ratio rite when I do it. Perhaps I was looking at something else.

Ok, so maybe that's wrong. I use a ratio rite when I do it. Perhaps I was looking at something else.

Oh ya....I forgot to mention that my bike is oil cooled, which probably explains the huge car-like amount of oil!!

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
    Wall.e coulda used this last week. Instead I had to show him, lol.
    BTW make sure you note that oil drain bolts could be in different spots on different bikes.

As for you R6'ers out there, if you want to leave all your fairings in place without getting them all covered in oil, you may want to cut up a little cardboard box and put a piece of it under your bike where your underside fairings latch together. Angle it towards the front of the bike so the oil drips forward.

It also keeps the oil from shooting across down by the back tire cause there is a good chance your oil pan won't be big enough to cover that entire area

If you have an R6 you know what I'm talkin about

If you guys know the torque specs for your oil drain bolts you should post it up, maybe Banger could include that in her original post. This is what I got off the top of my head.

06/07 GSXR 600/750: 16.5 ft.lbs

Bahahahahaha Wall.E

You mean I have to post more stuff ... oh man ok I'll do some research.....

Maybe a note regarding oil that is safe for motorcycle clutches?
    -Matt
    1997 VFR750F RC36
    1986 VFR750F Honda Interceptor (sold)
    1986 Honda Interceptor VF500 (sold)
    enhanced by Platinum Powersports

Great Post Banger!

I was wandering if an Admin can put a DIY section of the forum where all the write-ups are posted. I want to do a write-up for checking shims, but dont wanna spend the time doing it and have it disappear in a few days.
    Resident Loudmouth

Quote Originally Posted by RockerGuy View Post
    Great Post Banger!

I was wandering if an Admin can put a DIY section of the forum where all the write-ups are posted. I want to do a write-up for checking shims, but dont wanna spend the time doing it and have it disappear in a few days.
    Hahahahaha - Is that a hint? --- "Banger do a checking shims how too"
    I like the idea of a DIY section.

Quote Originally Posted by STARSHIP View Post
    nicely done... Will try myself next time. Just paid $125 for an oil/filter change!
    Wow!!! Did you go to some high end motorcycle dealer? Even if you dont want to do it yourself then go to Pannon sports and they charge you 25$ for the labour and around 30-35$ for oil and filter. By the way, good work Banger! Which year is your R6?
    Last edited by programmerbiker; 06-27-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Awesome post.

Good work Banger.

Is it a big deal if you dont change the crush washer for the drain bolt ? i forgot to pick one up.
    The artist formely known as Frenchfry

If you have a I4 engine and the oil filter is behind the header pipes, use tinfoil to form a funnel under the filter. This will catch any oil from the filter any keep a mess to a minimum.

Hahahahaha - Is that a hint? --- "Banger do a checking shims how too"
    I like the idea of a DIY section.
    No actually, I already did it w/ pics of it. Step by step. I am too lazy to write-up tho.

Here's a hint:
    saaaaaay, does anybody know where I can find a 0-1" micrometer???
    Resident Loudmouth