"Bike friendly" route to get to Toronto ...

Thread: "Bike friendly" route to get to Toronto ...

Question "Bike friendly" route to get to Toronto ...

I live in Mississauga. Looking for a "bike-friendly" route (mostly avoiding potholes, etc) to get to Toronto on public holidays and Sundays. I'm not interested in taking the highway. Are there any commuters from Mississauga to Toronto, and if so, what's YOUR route?

The area I need to get to is Bay/Queen by the Eaton's Centre from the west end of Mississauga.

Re: "Bike friendly" route to get to Toronto ...

theres not a whole lot of excitement heading downtown from mississauga (that I know of atleast).. I suggest just taking lakeshore all the way, maybe dundas?

google maps and click on "avoid highways"?

I commute from Mississauga to Toronto. Lakeshore is my highway avoidance route, but it's nothing exciting.
    Do opposing views and opinions bother you? Click here to ignore me!

Go south till Lakeshore, east to Bay, and north to Queen.
    Last edited by Metropole; 06-25-2008 at 11:22 AM.

How about Dundas/Bloor/Dundas? Does anyone take this route?

Google Maps is good, but riders' experiences on certain roads are even better

I took Eglinton all the way from Mississauga to Scarborough once.. AVOID that! It was constant stop and go traffic, the roads suck, and the more east you go on Eglinton from Sauga the more crowded it gets. Queensway or Lakeshore is pretty good.

+1 for Lakeshore

Lakeshore is the most laidback route if you have the time and don't mind crosstraffic / traffic lights.

QEW is the fastest and safest route for a motorcycle, but sooo boring...
    If it's too loud you're too old.

Quote Originally Posted by tigger03 View Post
    How about Dundas/Bloor/Dundas? Does anyone take this route?

Google Maps is good, but riders' experiences on certain roads are even better
    I take Dundas all the way when commuting in the morning. It's ok out of the city....not terribly exciting and you pass a few densely populated areas so you gotta watch your speed. Closer to downtown you gotta ride over some ****** pavement, streetcar tracks, etc. In other words, I would not ride there for "fun". Gardiner for weekend rides all the way. At least you can go fast.

Lakeshore is good, however streetcar tracks freak me out. I usually take Dundas to Toronto.

take queensway all the way down to Queen/King St West in toronto

depends on how much its worth for a xl large French vanilla i will sell you some sic routes provided by j.p... i am talking like stealth mode ninja ****.

I take Mississauga road south to Burnhamthorpe, head east to Central Parkway, the first one not the second, so just two or three lights, go south and follow that till I turn right on to Bloor and take that the whole way. Central parkway has some nice turns and the lights seemed to be timed properly. They re-did the pavement last year too.

Well it depends where your starting in Mississauga, North End, Middle or South End.

Well on Sundays or Public Holidays its not quite the same with alot less traffic on the roads.

From the South. To Avoid Younge and Lower Lakeshore, and some and add some twists in your roads.

Take Lakeshore to past Park Lawn, turn Left (north)onto Colborne Lodge Dr. and drive thru High Park.

Turn Right on Bloor St. (east) past a few lights and then turn Left (north) unto Lansdowne Ave.

Go north past Dupont St and then turn Right (east) on Davenport Rd.

Here you'll travel along the bottom of the old lake edge (one of the twistest roads you'll find on west side of TO. Past Castle Loma.

Davenport Rd, can drop you onto all the Majors, Including Bay St.

From the Middle of Mississauga I'd say Bloor St. gets me in and out pretty steady, and there is alot of good filtering spots where cars are parked on the sides of the streets. You can head the entire way, on Bloor, or Jump up or down easily to hit another major street incase of blockage.

And then from the north Eglinton Ave all the way in, or if you take it Eglinton to just past Dufferin go south on Glenholme Ave. and then Left on Vaughan Rd., take that all the way to Bathurst St, and then take the Dupont to Davenport way in.

Just some suggestions maybe.