RZ350 Carb Help - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RZ350 Carb Help

Re: RZ350 Carb Help

Quote Originally Posted by nokturnal View Post
    you should be using BR9ES (i know manual says 8, but 9 is fine).

Assuming the bike is stock, pipes and airbox wise, put the carbs back to stock settings (airscrew etc). The oil lines are on the carbs right?

Which model year do you have?
    I was going to say reset the carbs as well... Also look for air leaks especially around the carb boots.. Mine had dried up and cracked. I ended up pitching the oil pump and actually premixed at the pumps... After rebuilding the motor I was not taking anymore chances.... Take it in and get the carbs synced as well???? once that baby is running good your going to be extremely happy... Just set it once and leave it....
    Never allow yourself to outrun your guardian angel

Rz350rider

Quote Originally Posted by nokturnal View Post
    you haven't had it for that long though have you?

either way... these bikes have screwed me so many times (had a number of them)... but i keep coming back for more. if you are looking for a bike with personality, this is it.
    I myself have had it for the past year, brother had for 5 years before that.
    Only thing he really had to do were the pistons and rings, pistons were fine but we was losing a bit of compresion so he just did the entire top end, had no idea the last time it was done. That was at 30,000kms.

I actually have a 4 day weekend what to do with the other 95 1/2 hrs!

gsxr7/11 montesa cota123'76cb400f'75mr50'93fxrs-sp'82rd350lc'96fantic section250'68bonneville

i just copied this: (from rdforum)

Carb sync

TOOLS NEEDED;
    You will need two pieces of flat wood / plastic approximately 10 centimetres in length, 5 millimetres in width and thick enough not to bend. I use old ice lollysticks, cut to size. The bike needs to be upright – NOT on a sidestand – so you will need a centrestand or paddock stand or another method of keeping the bike upright. Also an 8mm and 10 mm spanner or good adjustable.

• Remove the rubber tubes that join the carbs to the airbox, or take off any pod filters (K+N or similar)
    • Slide one piece of lollystick into the rear venturi of each carb, going far enough in to just touch the back of the needles, then out a few millimetres – get the depth the same on both carbs.
    • Kneeling on the right hand side of the bike (with the ignition OFF) slowly open the throttle whilst watching the lollysticks closely. You need to get the sticks in line with each other in your line of sight. You no doubt will see one stick `dip` before the other now – you`ll be surprised by how much….
    • The cable on the carb that’s `dipping` its stick second should now be adjusted.
    • To adjust the throttle cables you will need to loosen the adjusting nuts at the top of the carb. Initially you`ll probably turn the nut through complete 360 degrees but open and close the throttle every ˝ turn too to check the amount of `dip`.
    • As you get close to balancing the `dipping` of the sticks you`ll only be turning the adjusters 1 face of the nut at a time – maybe even less.
    • Once the sticks dip at the same time, tighten up the locking nuts on the adjusters, and remove the lollysticks….. now open and close the throttle FULLY and rapidly in quick succession.
    • Replace the sticks in the carbs and re-check for parallel `dipping` … if they need adjusting further, repeat as necessary.
    • Once you are happy, remove the sticks, replace the rubber connecting tube / pod filter and start the engine …. Be careful NOT to use the throttle harshly – but turn the handlebars fully from lock to lock…. Should the revs rise when you do this, adjust the free play of the throttle cable at the twistgrip end – NOT the carb end.
    • Once you are happy there is no more adjustment needed, you can then go and test the bike on the road.

gerry

yep... the popsicle stick method... learn it, love it. You will be able to sync your carbs in 10 min.

gsxr7/11 montesa cota123'76cb400f'75mr50'93fxrs-sp'82rd350lc'96fantic section250'68bonneville

what flavour?

Rz350rider

god dammit! just as I thought everything was OOOOOOOOOK.

Just around the corner from my house the throttle cable snaps right at the handle bars! Anyone have an extra one? I have to call the dealer and see if they can get one by friday...doubt it, kinda want to use the bike this weekend, not gonna happen now! Jinxed myself...remind me to keep my mouth shut next time.

thanks! gonna give it a shot.
    would be my first couple ice lollys of the season too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rz350rider View Post
    god dammit! just as I thought everything was OOOOOOOOOK.

Just around the corner from my house the throttle cable snaps right at the handle bars! Anyone have an extra one? I have to call the dealer and see if they can get one by friday...doubt it, kinda want to use the bike this weekend, not gonna happen now! Jinxed myself...remind me to keep my mouth shut next time.
    Bad cable... you were having a problem with you're revs hanging up right? bingo.

These are one of the things you need to buy OEM, aftermarket throttle cables will screw you. Same goes for head gaskets.

Quote Originally Posted by gerry View Post
    what flavour?

Rz350rider

yeah I was having the idle hang up a bit while riding, and had the carbs adjusted perfect when it was just sitting warming up. Dealer doesnt open until 9, gonna give them a call and see if the warehouse has one of these in stock *crosses fingers*