Fighting HTA172 - Next Steps - Page 3

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fighting HTA172 - Next Steps

Re: Fighting HTA172 - Next Steps

Quote Originally Posted by 82Seca750 View Post
    follow up meeting was a downer

I was told....loose quote....."that the Gov't does their own independent polls, and the feedback from those polls suggests that people think this new law is a great idea"

It nice to see that Canadian politicians are following their brethen to the south, pandering to the lowest common denominator gutter.

I think fighting this law will be a slow burn. Its not like photo radar, where a whack of people were being indiscriminately caught in droves.

We need to keep the pressure up. Eventually, something will break.

Down with POLLS....

Except of course the fireman and stripper polls
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

Couldn't we use a some bit of "Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act" to get the details on these "internal polls"?

Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast_gsx View Post
    Too bad you didn't have that on record....
    he chose his words carefully....and I was leaving no room in my words for interpretation

he was trying to do the "I'm on your side" crap.....but he's not gonna commit political suicide by pushing my cause, in direct oppostion to his own elected party's BS marketing rhetoric

it's no easy fight....didn't think it would be

BUT....he'll have a helluva hard time getting my vote and he knows it....and I don't think he's a bad guy.....he gets the complaint, and I think he agrees with it....it's pretty plain and simple

but no excuse for him to side with his party's BS in my opinion

I'll have to craft up another piece soon and send it over to Mr. Richardson at the Wheels section....it's been a while and I'm getting cranked up

Quote Originally Posted by camber View Post

It nice to see that Canadian politicians are following their brethen to the south, pandering to the lowest common denominator gutter.

I think fighting this law will be a slow burn. Its not like photo radar, where a whack of people were being indiscriminately caught in droves.

We need to keep the pressure up. Eventually, something will break.
    ironically, i don't think this law would hold up in the u.s. the general public there is more open to voicing their opinions. we just allow things to be shoved down our throat.

did you hear the latest bill they're looking at passing (federal) which would make it illegal to record with your PVR, transfer music YOU OWN to your ipod, etc. ridiculous. and i'm sure it'll pass because the public here doesn't have the cajones to say NO!

Quote Originally Posted by rctyler View Post
    ironically, i don't think this law would hold up in the u.s. the general public there is more open to voicing their opinions. we just allow things to be shoved down our throat.

did you hear the latest bill they're looking at passing (federal) which would make it illegal to record with your PVR, transfer music YOU OWN to your ipod, etc. ridiculous. and i'm sure it'll pass because the public here doesn't have the cajones to say NO!
    Don't kid yourself. There are equally jingoistic and confiscatory laws in the US. Hell, they were willing to give up their fundamental liberties for a little temporary safety, to paraphrase Franklin.
    Morally Ambiguous (submissions welcome)

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by rctyler View Post
    I have sent numerious emails and have had a discussion with my MP over that one... I have said no and pointed him to MANY others that have said no....

How do you suggest we say no?
    R e a d S l o w l y ! - Children at Play.

do you guys reamember a little black man that got the crap kicked out of him?
    rodny king?
    well remember the 4 pigs that were charged with his beating.
    all were aquited.then came the riots.
    then surprising came a retrail (which is funny cause in the usa their is a double jeperdy law against that)
    but after the fire died down in the street. 2 of the 4 cops were now found guily.

so my point is maybe a good old fasion riot is in order.?
    cause untill then nothing will happen

Some are starting to see the light!
    I ask everyone on this board to write your MPP and or all of these!
    http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=48387

From Mr. Klees, the last 3 words is all that matters!

I am acknowledging your email concerning the enforcement of the recent changes to the Highway Traffic Act section 172. Although I did put forward a Private Member’s Bill to address street racing these changes do not reflect my street racing Bill - see link. http://www.frank-klees.on.ca/CurrentIssues/StreetRacing.htm My Bill applied to incidents in which police had reasonable grounds to determine that “street racing” was involved and that was the basis for roadside suspension and impoundment. I consider the safety of others to be paramount to the rights of a street racer.

The immediate suspension of the driver’s licence and impounding of vehicles when offenders exceed 50 km/h or more of the posted speed limit was not part of my legislation. In fact, I have expressed my opposition to this arbitrary provision which allows for no discretion based on circumstance and disregards due process.>>
    > >
    Sincerely,
    Frank Klees, MPP
    >
    Last edited by Bantario; 09-13-2008 at 10:07 AM.

Global News is doing a multi-part piece on the legislation apparently starting in tonight's 6-7p news

not sure which angle (or how many angles) the reporter is trying to cover in the piece.....but they were at my house for 3 hours a couple of weeks back....and this reporter is the only one I've met from the TV side of things that truly get's it

she also interviewed John Newell...the author of the "Abuse of Power" book

It being Global, I have my doubts about their motives.

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Rob MacLennan View Post
    It being Global, I have my doubts about their motives.
    I grilled the reporter over the phone....and would not agree to be interviewed at first.....but then she started to talk about her take on the law......she knows her stuff

we'll see

well....she teed up our side for tomorrow

I knew she would be telling the "real" street racing crowd's story.....she told me she went out to the illegal races and the track

kinda shocked that these kids actually committing organised illegal street races went on camera like that......but they say they're not killing folks....and guess what.....they're not

well....she teed up our side for tomorrow

I knew she would be telling the "real" street racing crowd's story.....she told me she went out to the illegal races and the track

kinda shocked that these kids actually committing organised illegal street races went on camera like that......but they say they're not killing folks....and guess what.....they're not
    As far as i'm concerned, if you're away from 'civilization' if you decide to put your life on the line that's your decision. They should set up designated areas for this type of crap and institute a law that prevents ANY lawsuits. No insurance, no $$ no BS. People have to start taking responsibility for their actions.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    As far as i'm concerned, if you're away from 'civilization' if you decide to put your life on the line that's your decision. They should set up designated areas for this type of crap and institute a law that prevents ANY lawsuits. No insurance, no $$ no BS. People have to start taking responsibility for their actions.
    I agree and disagree kinda

I've never been too hung up over "how fast" my vehicle is versus the next guy.....actually, I couldn't give a crap really......so to think these kids are hanging out to all hours talking smack for bragging rights???...and then going out to race?.....dunno, at their age, all I wanted to do was get laid

actually.....not much has changed over here

I understand that the track is far away.....but that's the place to do it legally.....so if that's the game you wanna play.....then that's the place to play it

but as I said.....if there are no overwhelming numbers (aka deaths) as a result of true organized illegal head-to-head street races.....then these kids have a point......but it sure isn't safe if something goes wrong

bottom line.....HTA172 has not stopped real street racing...imagine that

Was the first part on tonight??? I missed it mabey be on the late news tonight?? was looking for it on globals website but no such luck!

Global News is doing a multi-part piece on the legislation apparently starting in tonight's 6-7p news

not sure which angle (or how many angles) the reporter is trying to cover in the piece.....but they were at my house for 3 hours a couple of weeks back....and this reporter is the only one I've met from the TV side of things that truly get's it

she also interviewed John Newell...the author of the "Abuse of Power" book

Quote Originally Posted by GP_RZ View Post
    Was the first part on tonight??? I missed it mabey be on the late news tonight?? was looking for it on globals website but no such luck!
    yeah...about 6:10pm or 6:15pm

I'd expect the same tomorrow

Great thanks for the info...will set the pvr!

I found the clip on Globals website.....cant wait to see the next part!

http://canwest.a.mms.mavenapps.net/m...Object=3119194
    Last edited by GP_RZ; 09-29-2008 at 08:26 PM.

CFRB is supposed to be doing a show on it sometime this morning and, from the sounds of it, it will be very pro-172.
    Last edited by Rob MacLennan; 09-30-2008 at 08:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    designated area's like a racetrack or dragstrip?

Andrew - Scarberia