street racing on the 401 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: street racing on the 401

Re: street racing on the 401

Quote Originally Posted by mat2312 View Post
    I think the problem is people who CAN'T do 140. I've said it before and I'll say it again. If you cannot or do not feel comfortable going 130-140 you shouldn't be allowed on a highway period.
    How about if you can't comfortably adhere to the rules you agreed to when you signed your license, you stay off the highway?

Quote Originally Posted by bear22099 View Post
    How about if you can't comfortably adhere to the rules you agreed to when you signed your license, you stay off the highway?
    yup and the world is perfect and populated by unicorns

Without people exceeding an artificially low speed limit, we'd have traffic DISASTER in the major cities.

So bear, what's more important? The safety of individuals on the road OR adhereing to rules which were designed and encouraged by self-serving special interest groups and politicians eager to please soccer mom voters?

The rate of speed in which a vehicle travels is irrelevant (to a point) if the driver has the driving ability AND doesn't commit the real driving errors that cause accidents. A reasonable rate of speed is NOT the speed limit in most areas (school zones during school hours excepted)
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Without people exceeding an artificially low speed limit, we'd have traffic DISASTER in the major cities.

So bear, what's more important? The safety of individuals on the road OR adhereing to rules which were designed and encouraged by self-serving special interest groups and politicians eager to please soccer mom voters?

The rate of speed in which a vehicle travels is irrelevant (to a point) if the driver has the driving ability AND doesn't commit the real driving errors that cause accidents. A reasonable rate of speed is NOT the speed limit in most areas (school zones during school hours excepted)
    So you wish to ignore the real reason that speed is blamed for accidents then? It is not the raw speed that is the issue, it is the speed DIFFERENCE. Other drivers have the right to reasonable expectation that you are doing something close to the speed limit do they not? They will make lane changing decisions based on that, if you are going 40% faster than they expect you to be going, you don't think that will have an impact?

Too bad the concept of speed limits were imposed decades before soccer moms were invented.

And why are school zones sacred? Should the kids just not learn to run faster? Be quick or be eaten? You seem to feel that is the way it should be for adults, what makes them special?

What is comes down to is this, you choose to go to a movie, you pay the price, you choose to eat at a restaurant, you pay the price, you choose to speed, you pay the price. If you cannot afford the movie, stay home, can't afford the meal, stay home, can't afford the price of speeding, don't speed. It does not get any simpler than that.

And since we are in a democratic society, that means that your vote for dropping speed limits is negated by my vote for keeping them. Guess who wins?

So you wish to ignore the real reason that speed is blamed for accidents then? It is not the raw speed that is the issue, it is the speed DIFFERENCE. Other drivers have the right to reasonable expectation that you are doing something close to the speed limit do they not? They will make lane changing decisions based on that, if you are going 40% faster than they expect you to be going, you don't think that will have an impact?

Too bad the concept of speed limits were imposed decades before soccer moms were invented.

And why are school zones sacred? Should the kids just not learn to run faster? Be quick or be eaten? You seem to feel that is the way it should be for adults, what makes them special?

What is comes down to is this, you choose to go to a movie, you pay the price, you choose to eat at a restaurant, you pay the price, you choose to speed, you pay the price. If you cannot afford the movie, stay home, can't afford the meal, stay home, can't afford the price of speeding, don't speed. It does not get any simpler than that.

And since we are in a democratic society, that means that your vote for dropping speed limits is negated by my vote for keeping them. Guess who wins?

Actually I agree with you that speed difference is the issue. I just think we fail to agree on how to correct that. You feel everyone should slow down whereas I feel the slower ones should be driving on non-400 series highways as they either choose or don't have the ability to drive at the generally acknowledged speed limit. Better driver training and increased enforcement of non-speeding driving offenses is the key. Our highways can easily handle speeds of 130-140. It's the driving skills that need to catch up.

Drivers shouldn't have any reasonable expectations about how I drive. They should be concentrating on their own driving. If a driver is going 100kph, he or she should know that drivers generally go 130-140 in the left lane on the 401. The ones that don't know this cause accidents. If someone can't safely judge distance and speed of a car before their lane change/merge, they need to get the hell off the road.

"Soccer-moms" isn't a literal reference, I think a man could potentially be a soccer-mom. A soccer-mom to me is someone who's completely oblivious to their outside surroundings and will completely eat up anything the government has to say so long as it contains the words 'kids' 'safety' 'danger' 'bad' etc.

Unfortunately Bear, our votes don't count. The politicians don't listen to you and I, if we took a referendum and 51% of the voters voted to keep the speed limits. I'd complain about it but I'd respect the people's voice. Unfortunately our politicians only care about the next election and following party lines. Yes we can vote for another party but it's just the same crap over and over. Nobody wants to 'rock' the boat for the sake of common sense. God forbid if you go against M.A.D.D or any other special interest group.

We live in a quasi-democracy, we get to choose which party gets to screw us every 4 years, that's all.
    www.durhaminline.com Inline Hockey in Durham Region

OFAH member
    My civil libertarianism grows daily when confronted with the obvious injustices I witness.

Actually I agree with you that speed difference is the issue. I just think we fail to agree on how to correct that. You feel everyone should slow down whereas I feel the slower ones should be driving on non-400 series highways as they either choose or don't have the ability to drive at the generally acknowledged speed limit. Better driver training and increased enforcement of non-speeding driving offenses is the key. Our highways can easily handle speeds of 130-140. It's the driving skills that need to catch up.

Drivers shouldn't have any reasonable expectations about how I drive. They should be concentrating on their own driving. If a driver is going 100kph, he or she should know that drivers generally go 130-140 in the left lane on the 401. The ones that don't know this cause accidents. If someone can't safely judge distance and speed of a car before their lane change/merge, they need to get the hell off the road.

"Soccer-moms" isn't a literal reference, I think a man could potentially be a soccer-mom. A soccer-mom to me is someone who's completely oblivious to their outside surroundings and will completely eat up anything the government has to say so long as it contains the words 'kids' 'safety' 'danger' 'bad' etc.

Unfortunately Bear, our votes don't count. The politicians don't listen to you and I, if we took a referendum and 51% of the voters voted to keep the speed limits. I'd complain about it but I'd respect the people's voice. Unfortunately our politicians only care about the next election and following party lines. Yes we can vote for another party but it's just the same crap over and over. Nobody wants to 'rock' the boat for the sake of common sense. God forbid if you go against M.A.D.D or any other special interest group.

We live in a quasi-democracy, we get to choose which party gets to screw us every 4 years, that's all.
    if you what to get down to the phyics of the issue its not speed differential thats the problem , it is the Inertria differental.

Quote Originally Posted by SiNNeR View Post
    if you what to get down to the phyics of the issue its not speed differential thats the problem , it is the Inertria differental.
    Or the "inertia" difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Snobike Mike View Post
    Or the "inertia" difference.
    lol
    go to jail
    do not pass go
    do not collect 200$

every post I make cost with a spelling disclaimer attached in the sig.
    Knowledge Without Mileage is Useless

*worry about your own spelling not mine.