'03 GSXR Kickstand & Oil Leak Issues

Thread: '03 GSXR Kickstand & Oil Leak Issues

'03 GSXR Kickstand & Oil Leak Issues

Well i finally found a bike, '03 GSXR 600, but i have noticed that the kickstand leans the bike over way too far. What can i do to fix this?

Also, i have noticed that the engine leaks just a bit from the left side of the bike down at the bottom from a engine case bolt(sorry if that isnt the right terminology). I need to get it fixed but for now i also need to top up the engine with oil. What type of oil does an '03 GSXR take and where does it go in to top it up?

Sorry for the dumb questions, i am pretty new to the bike scene.

Re: '03 GSXR Kickstand & Oil Leak Issues

Quote Originally Posted by RookieRider View Post
    Well i finally found a bike, '03 GSXR 600, but i have noticed that the kickstand leans the bike over way too far. What can i do to fix this?

Also, i have noticed that the engine leaks just a bit from the left side of the bike down at the bottom from a engine case bolt(sorry if that isnt the right terminology). I need to get it fixed but for now i also need to top up the engine with oil. What type of oil does an '03 GSXR take and where does it go in to top it up?

PICS??? Lets see some pics of the stand and the leak.

10W-40 non energy conserving motor oil. Or any 10W40 motorcycle oil.
    Or 0W-40 XD-3 from walmart... or... etc.etc.etc...

ok cool thanks, ill take a pic of the stand when i get home tonight.

Did the bike leak oil when you bought it? Can you get a hold of the seller? If so, ask them what oil is in the bike and top it up with this. You want to top up dino oil with dino oil and synthetic with synthetic. If you are unsure just do an oil change.

Thomas Jefferson said "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty".

Also, i have noticed that the engine leaks just a bit from the left side of the bike down at the bottom from a engine case bolt(sorry if that isnt the right terminology).
    That could be the drain bolt. May be it just needs a new crush washer. If the bike is new to you , I would do an oil change anyway and you can replace the washer at the same time. Buy a torque wrench if you don't already have one and USE IT.

/rs
    2002 FZS1000

-------------
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you.

Alright thanks fellas, I will try that and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    10W-40 non energy conserving motor oil. Or any 10W40 motorcycle oil.
    Or 0W-40 XD-3 from walmart... or... etc.etc.etc...
    Is 10W40 motorcycle oil generally safe for ALL motorcycles? Cause I've got to do a change on my bike soon ('97 Ninja EX250) and it seems for most people when they ask what oil to use, they get told 10W40. I guess I should use that too. I'll see what the service manual says.

Quote Originally Posted by rsilk View Post
    That could be the drain bolt. May be it just needs a new crush washer. If the bike is new to you , I would do an oil change anyway and you can replace the washer at the same time. Buy a torque wrench if you don't already have one and USE IT.

/rs
    the drain bolt in underneath, not on the side. could be a cracked engine case, or case cover

Quote Originally Posted by matt491 View Post
    Is 10W40 motorcycle oil generally safe for ALL motorcycles? Cause I've got to do a change on my bike soon ('97 Ninja EX250) and it seems for most people when they ask what oil to use, they get told 10W40. I guess I should use that too. I'll see what the service manual says.
    No. Read the manual. Many bikes take 10w40 but not all.
    "We must make an idol of our fear, and call it god." - Antonius Block

I have very similar issues. Can anyone shed some light? Also, an orange light just came on today (oil), but on ignition it still says check / no error codes.
    I will be taking it in for an oil change pretty soon.
    Never to be taken seriously. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyler View Post
    I have very similar issues. Can anyone shed some light? Also, an orange light just came on today (oil), but on ignition it still says check / no error codes.
    I will be taking it in for an oil change pretty soon.
    You wont throw an error code for no oil. The big light in your face IS your error code. Dont ride the bike if your out of oil or if for some reason theres no oil pressure... Go get some oil and put it in the bike or figure out why you dont have any oil pressure, otherwise you will be buying a new engine. 40 dollars for oil versus 800+ for a new engine. This is a no brainer. If youve been riding with that light on for any length of time, you've probably already done damage to the engine.

Thanks Bob.

I came home from a long ride, and went to start up the bike later.. that's when the orange light came on. I'll try your suggestion and top up the oil / have Ted find out whats wrong.

Did you actually start the bike? Or you just saw the oil light when turning the key? Cus most cars/bikes, the oil light stays lit until you actually start the engine (because theres no oil pressure but the sensor is powered when you turn the ignition on). It will go out once you start the bike. You might not have noticed it before...

Quote Originally Posted by bobjohnson View Post
    Did you actually start the bike? Or you just saw the oil light when turning the key? Cus most cars/bikes, the oil light stays lit until you actually start the engine (because theres no oil pressure but the sensor is powered when you turn the ignition on). It will go out once you start the bike. You might not have noticed it before...
    I started the Bike, the Red light goes into a very dim orange once it's idling.. so I shut it off right away. I went for a drive yesterday morning and there was no light. I noticed this when I started it up again in the evening. I tried searching the web everywhere for the "orange oil light" ... found nothing. Oil does look to be low through the glass ... so that may explain it. I am also having a very slight leak on the left side on the engine cover... the same problem the OP had asked about.

What do you think?

No idea. Hook up an oil pressure gauge? I mean youre gonna have to do some troubleshooting. You can ride the bike if you want but i'd trailer it to a shop if you cant afford to replace the engine right now and you cant do the basic troubleshooting yourself. Better safe than sorry.

Could be anything from bad pressure sensor to no oil pressure, to something else entirely. Maybe its just one of the other lights shining through the little pane. I dont know, you'd have to look at it.

If you're looking for a mechanic to fix or diagnose the problem, I would suggest you call Rosey Toes. They can pick up your bike or you can drop it off to them. Very knowledgeable, great service and unbelievable prices!

Got it sorted by Ted.

Changed oil and all is good! The slight leaking oil on the side of the engine case is just that, a slight leak from a previous knock against it. Will be changed in due time!

Thanks for those who helped.

so what was the problem?

Nothing, He went over it thoroughly. I think you might have been right about a light reflection from inside the pane.. It was a very dim light, at an angle, coupled with me being paranoid.