Neutral Safety Switch 2001 Yzf R1

Thread: Neutral Safety Switch 2001 Yzf R1

Kcionandes

Neutral Safety Switch 2001 Yzf R1

Hi Folks ,, I Need Some Help..

My Bike Doesn't Turn The Neutral Light When It Is In Neutral Position..

Maybe The Switch Is Broken.... Does Anyone Know Where It Is Located On The Engine? And Where Can I Buy It??

Tanks A Lot

Re: Neutral Safety Switch 2001 Yzf R1

It's in the vicinity of the countershaft sprocket near where the shift linkage mechanism disappears inside the engine. I'm not sure on that particular model but a lot of the time you have to take the countershaft sprocket cover off and the switch is the only electrical thing underneath that cover.

Before you panic ... make sure the wiring for the switch is all plugged in properly and that the wire isn't broken.

Look for a single wire lead sticking out of the back/top of your crankcase, near the tranny location...Ive never seen one behind the sprocket cover on a Yamaha like suggested, (thats the speedo pickup on most bikes, not the neutral position switch) And BTW Yamaha does not use speedo sensors off the front sprocket either so there will be nothing electrical behind your sprocket cover...The neutral switch is usually sticking out of the back of the crankcase on Yamahas, and has a single wire lead comming off of it...

This is what the switch will look like and it will have a single wire comming off the lead

The Kawis and some other bikes have them in the location thats been suggested, but its not behind the sprocket cover its just underneth it so it doesnt need to be removed...That being said Yamaha does not use that same location, they are always on the back of the crankcase from my experience...
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 06-16-2008 at 09:21 AM.

I was right, Ive found a picture of a 2001 R1 engine for you showing exaclty where the neutral switch is, and its exactly where I thought it was on the Yamahas...Ive circled its location in red for you...

And FYI the sensor just below it(missing in the picture), its your speedo pickup...There is nothing electrical behind the sprocket cover like on alot of other bikes...

Good picture, but just so ya know, every FZR has the neutral switch behind the sprocket cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
    Good picture, but just so ya know, every FZR has the neutral switch behind the sprocket cover.
    Never worked on an FZR so I wouldnt know where it is on that bike, and its not exaclty a modern supersport bike like the R1 and R6 so things will be a little different. Then again the OP doesnt have an FZR he has an R1, and I know where they are on those bikes...If I didnt I wouldnt post about it....

Its nice to give people a little tech lesson about bikes they dont own, but I prefer just to give the correct info the person is looking for.....And thats what I like getting when Im looking for info, not just some ramblings about other bikes....
    Last edited by JohnnyP636; 06-16-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Kcionandes

Thumbs up Re: Neutral Safety Switch 2001 Yzf R1

tanks a lot folks... i found the switch , and it is broken . i did jump a ground wire on and the neutral light turned on.. tanks tanks .. switch on dealer for cdn $ 47.00 cdn... crazy