15km/hr over the limit?

Thread: 15km/hr over the limit?

15km/hr over the limit?

Hey Guys,

I just recieved a tkt going 15km/hr over the speed limit. 65km/hr in a posted 50km/hr zone. Should i just pay the set fine or should i still fight this one? Question i ask is will my insurance premium go up just going 15 over?

thanks in advance for your responses.

Re: 15km/hr over the limit?

since its only a fine, you can't bargain down if you take it to court so your only hope would be for the cop not to show up.

I've had a few 15 over's and I've never noticed my premiums go up any significant amout cause of them

Andrew - Scarberia

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew978 View Post
    since its only a fine, you can't bargain down if you take it to court so your only hope would be for the cop not to show up.

I've had a few 15 over's and I've never noticed my premiums go up any significant amout cause of them
    yea its just a fine and no points...well from what the cop lady told me....would it say on the tkt if she did give me points?

sorry im dumb to this tkt stuff...

lol

Oh yea and it was in pickering so its durhams finest, from what i hear they always show up....
    Last edited by buttahz; 06-13-2008 at 11:10 AM.

It is no points. Nothing on the ticket about points though.

Thanks guys, i guess i'll just pay for it, not worth all the trouble, missing a couple hours of work would probably cost me more money than this tkt...

thanks guys...

Were you let off of a greater speed? 99.9% of the time, 15 over means you were going faster than that and the officer was being nice to you and gave you less to avoid any points...

I've seen in rare cases that the original fine/speed was brought back up when they took it to court...

I've even had an accident case where the at fault driver was given a "improper left turn" ticket instead of the Careless driving charge...she brought it too court and the JP gave her the careless...

i'd pay the $52.50 and count your blessings if you were going faster...if not, fight it!

Quote Originally Posted by mauroACM View Post
    Were you let off of a greater speed? 99.9% of the time, 15 over means you were going faster than that and the officer was being nice to you and gave you less to avoid any points...

I've seen in rare cases that the original fine/speed was brought back up when they took it to court...

I've even had an accident case where the at fault driver was given a "improper left turn" ticket instead of the Careless driving charge...she brought it too court and the JP gave her the careless...

i'd pay the $52.50 and count your blessings if you were going faster...if not, fight it!

yup ur absolutly correct...i was going 85km/hr in a 50km/hr zone. Didnt see any signs and i was following a audi that was going the same speed, unfortunately im the one that got pulled over. Not on my bike tho in my car...

Quote Originally Posted by buttahz View Post
    yup ur absolutly correct...i was going 85km/hr in a 50km/hr zone. Not on my bike tho in my car...
    Don't fight it then...not worth the hassal and risk...theres a box on the ticket, to the far right of the Plate number, it says "Code", there should be a "R" in there....obviously meaning REDUCED

Don't fight it then...not worth the hassal and risk...theres a box on the ticket, to the far right of the Plate number, it says "Code", there should be a "R" in there....obviously meaning REDUCED
    no there is no R under the code feild.

no there is no R under the code feild.
    Still...the officer will have it written down in their notebook...its whatever that says vs. your word...i'd still just take it and run...one ticket shouldn't affect your insurance that much, if any...just my $0.02

PS - they set up court dates to coincide with the officers work schedule, so there is no reason for them not to show up...

Thanks for all the input guys, i just finished paying for my tkt.....

The only time I would really debate a 15over, is if I were overtaking a big truck or something, or if there was a wreckless driver somewhere nearby that I was quickly trying to get rid of, but even still, it seems from what I've read here that it might not be worth it.

Still...the officer will have it written down in their notebook...its whatever that says vs. your word...i'd still just take it and run...one ticket shouldn't affect your insurance that much, if any...just my $0.02

PS - they set up court dates to coincide with the officers work schedule, so there is no reason for them not to show up...
    Unless they happen to get a call before they are scheduled at court, and the call runs late. That is normally the reason they do not show at court, nothing to do with not wanting to go.

SteveT

IT WILL come back to haunt you if you fdo not fight it.
    Your goal is to keep your record as CLEAN as possible.
    2 reasons
    1. insurance IS affected
    2. Cops can see that on their record in the cars and if you do need a break one day, why should they because they see you get speeding tickets and may think someone already gave you a break.

Points or no points it will have negative effect on your insurance... Fight every ticket! That will backup the courts and cause many tickets to be thrown out...

Hey Guys,

I just recieved a tkt going 15km/hr over the speed limit. 65km/hr in a posted 50km/hr zone. Should i just pay the set fine or should i still fight this one? Question i ask is will my insurance premium go up just going 15 over?

thanks in advance for your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    IT WILL come back to haunt you if you fdo not fight it.
    Your goal is to keep your record as CLEAN as possible.
    2 reasons
    1. insurance IS affected
    2. Cops can see that on their record in the cars and if you do need a break one day, why should they because they see you get speeding tickets and may think someone already gave you a break.
    Agreed.I've been pulled over twice in the last month, Once by a radar trap (31 over) and second by a cop approaching the other direction.(38over)
    both times I admitted I was speeding and had no excuse other than I was running late and trying to make up alittle time. both times the officer asked if I had a clean record (I do) so I was let off. the second time with expired insurance slip.

Fight every ticket. 100%.
    Treat it like you love it / Ride it like you hate it.

i'd say fight it for these reasons
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    1. insurance IS affected

...and not for this one :P
    Quote Originally Posted by jarekn View Post
    That will backup the courts and cause many tickets to be thrown out...

Speeding 1 km over the limit or speeding 30 kms over the limit will affect your insurance to the same degree,

Each of these will count as 1 minor moving violation.

31 over the limit will earn you 1 major moving voilation.

Demerit points only affect your ability to keep your license.
    Insurance companies look at your convictions and driving record. They do not care about the demerit point score.

If you would fight a ticket for 30 over, you should also fight a ticket for 1 over, and everything in between. This can affect your insurance for the next 6 years!

Hehe, What's wrong with my reason??? It would force the system to deal with the serious offenses and stop cops from giving out BS tickets... But whatever...

Quote Originally Posted by Innocent Bystander View Post
    i'd say fight it for these reasons

...and not for this one :P