Dirt Appeal - Why You Ride It - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dirt Appeal - Why You Ride It

Re: Dirt Appeal - Why You Ride It

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
    stop riding while im at work you bunch of lazy mfs!!
    Sorry, sorry .... how about tomorrow during the day then?
    I am going to make a thread of just general chat so that we don't take up this guys thread ..... sorry man.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    So let's hear it, what is about riding dirt that appeals to you the most? What first drew you in to it and what keeps you riding those trails today?
    Also, my Dad told me...."no grass on the field son....then play in the mud..."
    I think he meant dirtbiking!
    FireFitzy
    DNR Apparel - www.dnrapparel.ca

I like having a excuse to be called a dirty girl!!

All jokes aside, i didn't really plan on going dirt, i bought a dual sport so i could avoid the tickets like i got last year, Althought my bike is only a DR200, I have been riding her dirt only. And decided to keep the SV for road use.

After my first day riding her in the ganny, picking her up, hitting trees, getting stuck, being totally exhausted, and sore as hell... i thought, this is crazy...why do people trailer their bikes for hours, go thru all the hassle, but all the way home, i said to myself...self, what bike can i get that I can make it up that hill, mayb next week i can do that single track with no problem, and mayb i can learn to do this and that...think thats the point where i became hooked...

I already figured that this well be my dirt learning year on the DR, and next year, bye bye DR and SV. I'll be buying a real dirt bike

I think thats the problem with Dual Sports....not to knock 'em down, because i plan to buy one myself eventually.
    Their intended to do both street and dirt, but don't do either as well as an individual bike for each surface.....Have a street bike and a dirt bike... :P
    FireFitzy
    DNR Apparel - www.dnrapparel.ca

Quote Originally Posted by FireFitzy View Post
    I think thats the problem with Dual Sports....not to knock 'em down, because i plan to buy one myself eventually.
    Their intended to do both street and dirt, but don't do either as well as an individual bike for each surface.....Have a street bike and a dirt bike... :P

Totally agree...thats the reason i decided to keep the SV, i feelt like i was going to be ran over on the street.
    I have however decided to keep the DR, for a couple of reasons..
    #1...$$$$
    #2...This is indeed going to be a trial and error year for me, so i'd rather get my practice in on the DR, and next year decide what I'm going to do.

I love woods riding. Just you, your bike and the trail. Plus it is something I can do with my 2 boys (8 & 14). I'm just getting back into it after turning to the street over 15 years ago. Now I just have to find some people to ride with.

Homewrecker

I was thinking about getting a dual sport over my MX bike so that I could ride to places like the Ganny instead of trailering the bike.

Being that I always expect the worst, I'm kind of reluctant to ride to a trail, and then end up wrecking the same bike that I was depending on to get home. That's not a situation I'd like to find myself in.

Quote Originally Posted by Z1K View Post
    Now I just have to find some people to ride with.
    When I get my next machine count me in - I'm not far from you.
    Last edited by Homewrecker; 06-16-2008 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Homewrecker View Post
    I was thinking about getting a dual sport over my MX bike so that I could ride to places like the Ganny instead of trailering the bike.

Being that I always expect the worst, I'm kind of reluctant to ride to a trail, and then end up wrecking the same bike that I was depending on to get home. That's not a situation I'd like to find myself in.
    In like 7 years of trail riding, I don't think I have ever experienced a break down (yet). I think I am due for one soon though because I've been pounding the bike pretty hard the last year or so and haven't been keeping up with all the maintenance since I got my street bike, lol

Just don't buy a KTM. Some of my ODSC guys have come out riding with us Honda people and it seems like every other ride something goes wrong with them. Maybe my friends just got a bad batch. lol

ALso, you shouldn't be riding alone anyways. If you carry some tie-downs with you and are riding with a friend you should always be ok
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Homewrecker

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
    Just don't buy a KTM. Some of my ODSC guys have come out riding with us Honda people and it seems like every other ride something goes wrong with them. Maybe my friends just got a bad batch. lol

ALso, you shouldn't be riding alone anyways. If you carry some tie-downs with you and are riding with a friend you should always be ok
    Did your friends get a bad batch of KTM's or did you get a bad batch of friends?

It's hard for me not to ride alone. I work a 4 on - 4 off shift and my days off always change. I'm usually off mainly during week days but my friends work normal Mon-Fri hours - those inconsiderate SOB's.

When I ride the track I'm not concerned about being alone - as there is at least one other person riding around as well. It's the long trail rides I'd be hesitant to go out alone on.

Quote Originally Posted by Homewrecker View Post
    Did your friends get a bad batch of KTM's or did you get a bad batch of friends?

It's hard for me not to ride alone. I work a 4 on - 4 off shift and my days off always change. I'm usually off mainly during week days but my friends work normal Mon-Fri hours - those inconsiderate SOB's.

When I ride the track I'm not concerned about being alone - as there is at least one other person riding around as well. It's the long trail rides I'd be hesitant to go out alone on.
    Anything can happen while riding alone... I always ride familar trails when forced to ride alone and always bring my cell incase something happens and I need help...

Quote Originally Posted by FireFitzy View Post
    Agreed

That's why I bought a CRF450X, which is one of the BEST offroad bikes out there, and blue plated it

At least it shine's where all the other dual sports don't!
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

I like Racing MX jumping, highlights of my life is on the dirt, just gotta fix my clutch basket on my bike looking at getting a KTM 450sx or 250sx if i don't plan on going back racing full time.
    If your gonna do stupid stuff you better be tough

Quote Originally Posted by 23 View Post
    Anything can happen while riding alone... I always ride familar trails when forced to ride alone and always bring my cell incase something happens and I need help...

Same here. Plus I take it pretty easy. I ride alone quite a bit. Mostly due to the fact that sometimes I just take off for a rip when I feel like it.
    05 DRZ400SM
    93 ZX-7
    02 RM125

Quote Originally Posted by weldingglover View Post
    I like Racing MX jumping, highlights of my life is on the dirt, just gotta fix my clutch basket on my bike looking at getting a KTM 450sx or 250sx if i don't plan on going back racing full time.
    Let me know if you do end up wanting one of these, I will see you get hooked up.