Dirt Appeal - Why You Ride It

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dirt Appeal - Why You Ride It

Dirt Appeal - Why You Ride It

To a downtown rider, the thought of riding dirt seems so foreign:
    Rocks, uneven roads, wet slippery surfaces, puddles of mud?

These are the kinds of things I will dread on my rides through T.O., but I'm guessing they are some of the most exciting parts of trail riding

So let's hear it, what is about riding dirt that appeals to you the most? What first drew you in to it and what keeps you riding those trails today?

Help to make sense of this apparent madness

Re: Dirt Appeal - Why You Ride It

For me back when I was young it was the cool factor. Yeah, I was dumb. It was something my parents didn't want me to do ebcause at the time I was a very competative skier and they didn't want me to get hurt. A couple of my ski team friends were really into it so I went out with them.
    I developed other attractions to the dirt. It was a whole new rush. With skiing it was all gravity, I could only go as fast as my body would let me but now I had a machine to carry the speed for me. I know it's a really weird comparrison but being on a dirtbike really reminds me of being on my skiis. I love free riding which can compare well to trail riding on the bike. Trees coming at you fast. Having good reflexes and co-ordination. When the snow melted it was like never feeling like the ride is over.
    I did leave it for several years. I got back into it to try and pick up where I left off with it.
    Yeah, it can look chaotic out there with the back wheel sliding out and sinking down all the time in big puddles and mud but there is a sense of control even in the most absurd conditions. It's when you get through those weird obstacles on a trail or track that you could never find on the street to you real feel the love for riding.

Dirty biking will also make you a better rider. Clutch control, braking technique, not reacting when your back end gets all squirrley - some of the things that will make you a very solid rider.

Dirt and trials peeps - very talented riders.

No traffic lights or irresponsible drivers in cars that are inconsiderate to your existence on the road.
    On the dirt, it's you and your throttle...you can use the other components as you deem fit
    Oh yeah, did i mention when you flinging mud and dirt all over the place and the really cool jumps that usually launch you perfectly into the air??...did i??....thats fun too.
    It also gives you a break form wearin the leathers on the street, therefore allowing certain body parts to breathe better! :P
    FireFitzy
    DNR Apparel - www.dnrapparel.ca

I started trail riding when I was young living out in B.C. The skills I learned helped keep me alive when I turned 16, got my M license and started riding my dad's '86 750 Intruder (yes I did my road test on it, biggest bike and smallest kid there, lol). When you're a kid I guess the appeal is operating a motor vehicle legally, riding trails or track. Now that I'm older and had a few scares on the road, I just feel safer riding in the woods. I guess the best part for me is racing through the woods, dodging trees and just getting out exploring. Plus, I get to take my sons out trail riding and teach them how to handle a bike long before they get any ideas of hitting the streets.

Quote Originally Posted by tarah View Post
    Dirty biking will also make you a better rider. Clutch control, braking technique, not reacting when your back end gets all squirrley - some of the things that will make you a very solid rider.

Dirt and trials peeps - very talented riders.
    +1

I experience so many different types of feelings when I ride dirt depending where I am.
    If I am up north, its just amazing to be on never ending trails with no cars, no traffic, nothing. Just you, some trails, and forests. River crossings are always an absolute blast. Riding around the lakes of Muskoka, awesome! Compare it to fishing, but with your bike!

My friends are huge fans of hill climbs! There is no risk of dropping your bike, and there is a "challenge" to be met. Once you complete one challenge, you move on to the next one until you or your riding buddies can't do it anymore We play highline to see who can get the highest up hills we know we will never make!

Also, there are no laws to follow. It's a sense of freedom you will never get on the street.

Personally, I'm competitive, so I like going out with guys that are faster than me. You can go out and tell yourself you will take it easy, but once your friend pulls up beside you to pass you on the inside it will NEVER HAPPEN!
    ** Thanks for being a part of the GTAM Ride for Sight Motorcycle Team! **
    "Is that the way they drive in Tiananmen Square, b!tch?" - Ari Gold, Entourage
    2007 GSXR750, 2005 CRF450X | Proud Member of the 2006-2008 ODSC! | Facebook me!

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    Those are the things that make dirtbiking as much fun as it is! Once you get over having no traction, it's a total blast.

Homewrecker

One thing I don't like about Dirt Biking is Arm Pump. It's the closest you'll get to rigor mortis without actually dying.

I enjoy it because it's a completely different experience and builds a different set of skills. Plus there's no concrete to smack you in the head should something go wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Homewrecker View Post
    One thing I don't like about Dirt Biking is Arm Pump. It's the closest you'll get to rigor mortis without actually dying.

I enjoy it because it's a completely different experience and builds a different set of skills. Plus there's no concrete to smack you in the head should something go wrong
    Agreed, but there are trees. And of course a $1600 bill when you dump your 4stroke into a swamp lol. Or those nice massive ruts you can't see from all those jeeps out there.

There are lots of times I've been dirtbiking and concrete wouldn't have looked so bad to me

+1 to all of the above
    -makes you beter on the street...
    -bring the wheel up all the time with no HTA consequences...
    -ripping through tight single track, or a wide open logs road, then stopping because you can barely hang on to the bars due to arm pump and reflecting each corner with your riding buddies!! and telling a story using noises that any none dirt rider would think you are crazy!!
    Yellow fever!!! I love Japanese........Bikes!!!

Homewrecker

Quote Originally Posted by amp3d View Post
    Agreed, but there are trees. And of course a $1600 bill when you dump your 4stroke into a swamp lol. Or those nice massive ruts you can't see from all those jeeps out there.

There are lots of times I've been dirtbiking and concrete wouldn't have looked so bad to me
    No trees or swamp run-ins for me. The MX tracks are free of these strange things you speak of.

Trail riding however, that's another story. Nothing better than getting clothes-lined by a branch that your buddy in front of you failed to warn you about - most likely for a laugh at your expense.

Quote Originally Posted by adri View Post
    To a downtown rider, the thought of riding dirt seems so foreign:

These are the kinds of things I will dread on my rides through T.O., but I'm guessing they are some of the most exciting parts of trail riding

So let's hear it, what is about riding dirt that appeals to you the most? What first drew you in to it and what keeps you riding those trails today?

Help to make sense of this apparent madness
    The warped tour drew me into the sport of motocross, I saw Cary Hart, Cliford Apdonte, Mike Cinqmars and guys who pionerd the sport of Freestyle MX at a music show many many years ago in the states, I came home and started saving for a bike.

What keeps my riding today is the fact that im addicted... hooked like a freaking crack feene... All i want to do all day and everyday is ride mx.

I used to be just a trail rider, as I got better i went to freestyle mx, once i hit my max in freesytle i started to ride the track, once you ride track you never go back.... I find myself driving all over the province/country just to ride some of the most hectic tracks out there...

This past week alone from Wed-Sunday I drove over 4000km rode 3 different tracks and had a CMX race on Sunday... im dog tired today but if someone said hey lets go ride such and such a track i'd be the first one with gear on ready to go...

Quote Originally Posted by SVHenn View Post
    +1 to all of the above
    -makes you beter on the street...
    -bring the wheel up all the time with no HTA consequences...
    -ripping through tight single track, or a wide open logs road, then stopping because you can barely hang on to the bars due to arm pump and reflecting each corner with your riding buddies!! and telling a story using noises that any none dirt rider would think you are crazy!!
    hahaha, damnit. Thanks to your post I might have to call in sick and go riding this afternoon

hahaha, damnit. Thanks to your post I might have to call in sick and go riding this afternoon
    I will drop kick you if you do.... Dude where heck were you all week???? I rode everyday from Wed-Sun and you said you couldn't come out cuz you had to work.....

I wonder who has every monday off ..... could it be me? Perhaps ... Aliki has the day off too.......... I sense a little ride coming perhaps.......

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    I wonder who has every monday off ..... could it be me? Perhaps ... Aliki has the day off too.......... I sense a little ride coming perhaps.......
    If it doesn't rain you two get ur buns to Barrie.... lets ride!

Quote Originally Posted by 23 View Post
    If it doesn't rain you two get ur buns to Barrie.... lets ride!

Barrie......... BARRIE..................It's so far ............... I guess I put a full tank of gas in my bike for a reason. Ok. I'll ask her if she wants to come up. Her bike is broken but perhaps we can get the parts and make a quick fix. It's just the bracket that holds on the clutch I think..... need a spark plug too. I am not worried about rain. I get soaked no matter where I go. Mark, I know you have a date tonight guess you'll miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    Barrie......... BARRIE..................It's so far ............... I guess I put a full tank of gas in my bike for a reason. Ok. I'll ask her if she wants to come up. Her bike is broken but perhaps we can get the parts and make a quick fix. It's just the bracket that holds on the clutch I think..... need a spark plug too. I am not worried about rain. I get soaked no matter where I go. Mark, I know you have a date tonight guess you'll miss out.
    I guess when you said ride today you meant street...

Quote Originally Posted by 23 View Post
    I guess when you said ride today you meant street...

I meant a full tank in my truck. Why I have bikes on my mind 24/7. I need to pay attention to Charlie.

stop riding while im at work you bunch of lazy mfs!!