Should i wait longer?

Thread: Should i wait longer?

Should i wait longer?

I have been on and off on this site since i was 19, now im 23 turning 24 in December. My question now is if i get something like a 1996 fire blade 900rr or a 600cc all older then 1999, and me being 23 with G drivers license total of 8 years driving experience and M1, and 1 speeding ticket on my drivers record how much am i looking at? I'm not going to call anyone, because i still haven't even bought a bike.

Second, can i pay monthly or do i have to pay up front, why can't i pay monthly?

I also have riding experience from outside Canada, so i know how to ride fast bikes.

considering all this i want to know how much APPROX and is it up front payment or monthly, because i will most likely buy the bike next month in July, and i will only have maybe 3 months riding left, minus the bad rain days like the ones we have been having.

thanks.

videosilva

Re: Should i wait longer?

NO less then a thousand and then ................... Depending on the insurance company you can pay monthly.

Quote Originally Posted by videosilva View Post
    NO less then a thousand and then ................... Depending on the insurance company you can pay monthly.
    Oh nice, so basically its a situation where i would have to ask for a monthly payment plan right, depending on company i guess.

Anything under $2000 is fine with me, only because i also have to spend a good $4k or more to buy a bike as well, so im looking at insurance, as long as its not over $2000, i want to ride so bad i really don't care about insurance, but i do have to be careful with spending, i am still a university student, and can't cope with the crazy gas prices with the car so i finally decided, do or die.

Thanks for the info dude.

Those bikes aren't going to save you that much on gas. Definitely not even close to covering insurance. They will be fun though. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhost View Post
    Those bikes aren't going to save you that much on gas. Definitely not even close to covering insurance. They will be fun though. Good luck.
    What if i at least, go for something under 600? or an older 600?

Gas wise i won't really hurt, all i would have to do is go from home to Uni, and then back and my job is on Campus, and i get free parking if i get a motorcycle, i think it would be better then spending gas on a 6cyl, 4cyl, getting stuck in traffic and such, i agree though including insurance it does end up being pretty much the same, but the maintenance cost on cars is much much more, for a uni student spending $200 each time round, plus the ich to mod the car, i think you get the idea, with the bike i could pretty much do everything myself, just need to brush up on my motorcycle mechanic skills later on.

but thanks for the advice i really appreciate the heads up, most likely i'll look for something under 600 for now.

I would guesstimate for a 600cc bike your looking at minimum $2300 a year but likely more. The 1 ticket will affect your rates and anything 600cc is going to be costly. I am 23 no accidents for 5 years, no tickets for 3 years gettin a 600RR 2003 and I am going to be paying $2300 for just liability.

Only way it will likely be lower is if you live way outside toronto

900cc.. i really doubt you'll get anything under $2000

If you were over 25 then maybe.

Try a 600cc it might be better choice insurance wise.

Quote Originally Posted by 2WET View Post
    I'm not going to call anyone, because i still haven't even bought a bike.
    If you are serious about buying a bike then you should be getting quotes before you buy a bike. Generally thats what people do to avoid surprises after buying a bike.

Second, can i pay monthly or do i have to pay up front, why can't i pay monthly?
    Depends on the insurance company. State Farm has monthly. The payments are equally divided into 12 months but the rates are higher in the riding months.
    "Fantino has been quoted saying he is "satisfied" with the 41 per cent conviction rate under the new law. I'm glad he's not running a brain surgery school" - Kenzie

Kriptik Riders: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2317743102
    Fighting a Ticket: http://www.roadwarriors.ca/ontario_traffic_tickets_speeding_tickets_tutorial
    http://www.naseinvestors.com
    http://www.jafrum.com

Moderator Moderator TheGradyTrain's Avatar

I'm not going to call anyone, because i still haven't even bought a bike.
    If you want accurate information, best to be calling the brokers themselves. They're the only ones that can provide that to you.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth1 View Post
    I would guesstimate for a 600cc bike your looking at minimum $2300 a year but likely more. The 1 ticket will affect your rates and anything 600cc is going to be costly. I am 23 no accidents for 5 years, no tickets for 3 years gettin a 600RR 2003 and I am going to be paying $2300 for just liability.

Only way it will likely be lower is if you live way outside toronto
    Wow $2300 only Liablilty....sorry for going off topic but WOW!
    OK I am slightly older ...40 I have 05 R6 and pay $604 a year full coverage.
    Thinkin I would chance being spotted on a vespa if I was paying that much for INS....Hey theres an idea buy a Vespa!....Ok just kidding but again WOW...
    Rubber Side Down!

Chris

2002 Harley Electra Glide Classic - Current

2001 Vulcan 1500 Classic - SOLD!!!!!!!
    2005 R6 - SOLD!!!!!!!
    2000 VTR 1000F - gone but not forgotten!
    1998 Katana (Kan O Tuna) 750 - Sold
    1983 Virgo 750 - First bike

For a bike that old, it shouldn't be too bad.

I am 23 now (turning 24 soon), I have 3 tickets on my record and I have a brand new SV650. I am paying $2700 / year for insurance (just liability, nothing else). But I am an example of the worst case scenario. In your case you can get away with 1 ticket because some companies have a policy to forgive first ticket and having an older bike should help a fair bit too. I think you should be able to get under $2000 without a problem.

Give Avi Singh (or any other broker working with multiple companies) a call. They should be able to explain to you where you can catch some breaks and discounts (like having completed the training course and such) and should give you a rough estimate on what your insurance might be. There is no obligations whatsoever and won't take more then 15 minutes. I did it well before I bought my bike to estimate my total costs and plan my budget accordingly.

I rode a GS500 till the day I turned 25. I just couldn't force myself to put out thousands a year in insurance alone.

Quote Originally Posted by xskipro View Post
    Wow $2300 only Liablilty....sorry for going off topic but WOW!
    OK I am slightly older ...40 I have 05 R6 and pay $604 a year full coverage.
    Thinkin I would chance being spotted on a vespa if I was paying that much for INS....Hey theres an idea buy a Vespa!....Ok just kidding but again WOW...
    I know, it hurts....but only 2 more years til I become the best driver in the world according to insurance companies LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by phucyall View Post
    For a bike that old, it shouldn't be too bad.

I am 23 now (turning 24 soon), I have 3 tickets on my record and I have a brand new SV650. I am paying $2700 / year for insurance (just liability, nothing else). But I am an example of the worst case scenario. In your case you can get away with 1 ticket because some companies have a policy to forgive first ticket and having an older bike should help a fair bit too. I think you should be able to get under $2000 without a problem.

Give Avi Singh (or any other broker working with multiple companies) a call. They should be able to explain to you where you can catch some breaks and discounts (like having completed the training course and such) and should give you a rough estimate on what your insurance might be. There is no obligations whatsoever and won't take more then 15 minutes. I did it well before I bought my bike to estimate my total costs and plan my budget accordingly.

Hey, thanks so much for this information, i was reading up the insurance forums like crazy, and noticed this Avi broker to be a good place to start for quotes, now that i have an idea from all you guys, i can go ahead and get serious about a bike, i think the quotes i have seen are not bad.

So thank you guys now im clear on what im getting into.

Don't bother waiting any longer if you can pull it off now. I started riding when I was 17 and wish I started when I was 16.. I'm 20 now and I don't regret getting into it one bit and it's become a big part of where most of my time and money is spent. There are enough insurance friendly bikes around, just so dome research. oh by the way.. CALL INSURANCE COMPANIES FIRST and buy the bike later. There are too many people who f*** themselves by picking up a nice new supersport (or whatever) and soon realize insurance costs as much as the bike for a year.

Yes im looking at other options for bikes, im starting to really like the naked bike look on GS bikes and such with twin side exhaust, looks great and insurance is cheap too.