Review: Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lube for chains

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review: Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lube for chains

Review: Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lube for chains

Just a note about the Dupont Teflon Multi-Lube stuff:

It's AWESOME!!!

As a plus, it will actually clean the chain as you apply it.

What I did was first thoroughly clean my chain with WTK chain cleaner.

Let the WTK sit on the chain for 5-8 minutes and then scrub the chain with an old toothbrush.

**The great thing about WTK is that loosens up the oil/wax/crud on the chain so that it can be rinsed off with simple water from a garden hose. It works fantastic. Repeat if necessary.

I then dried the chain as much as possible with a towel. The Dupont Teflon Multi-Lube is advertised as repelling water so I wasn't worried about the chain being perfectly dry.

I then took a water bottle that had been cut it in half lengthwise, held it under the lower loop of the chain. The bottle was small enough and cut in such a way that it wouldn't touch the chain or the rear wheel and there was enough of the bottom piece that would catch any over-spray on the far side of the chain.

Then with the rear wheel up on a stand, right hand holding the bottle under the lower loop of the chain, I used my left hand to alternately spray the lube on the chain and then rotate the rear wheel to move the chain to a new spot. Repeat until the chain is complete.

The Dupont Teflon stuff actually dries within a few seconds and leaves a very slick transparent film. I sprayed a rag with the stuff and held it to the chain while I spun the rear wheel by hand just to wipe off any excess, but there wasn't any. It's actually easy to use too much, because unlike all the other lubes and waxes I've tried, the Dupont stuff doesn't build up, and you can't see it once it dries (it does leave a pale white film if you spray it on glass or on something black). It's almost like there is nothing there, but you can feel how slick the chain is. The stuff is not sticky like everything else on the market.

I've done 500km trips, and the chain still appears clean (cause it doesn't attract dirt, and dirt doesn't stick to it) afterwards, and the chain is still slick and cool to the touch (rather than warm or hot with other lubes)

I love this stuff.

On subsequent applications (after every long ride, or every other short ride), I just spray on the lube. There's almost nothing to "clean". What little dirt there is washes off as the lube is applied and can be wiped off with a rag.

I used to hate lubing my chain, but I really don't mind it now.

Dupont Teflon Multi-Lube is only available at Lowe's (as far as I know)
    Last edited by BusaBob; 09-02-2008 at 02:48 PM.
    ~=Big Daddy of the Dope Dragons MC=~

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Re: Review: Dupont Teflon Multi-Use Lube for chains

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    Been looking for this stuff to try, all I can say is that no Crappy Tire has it.

Lowe's.......roger.
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ZX-6D w/colour matched Duct Tape
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

I love this stuff. I've been using it since last spring. I had to go to the US to get it then, now that Lowes is in Canada (the GTA at least) I can get it here. Good thing to, I'm down to my last can.
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

Zenador

Bought 2 cans last week, and a jug of kerosene to clean the chain. Stuff works great. Just don't overspray and get it on the engine, or on the floor of your garage or where ever you may use it. As Busa said, you can't see it and it's VERY slick. If you step on it, or roll your bike on it, something's gonna go down.

It disappears from Lowes as soon as it reaches the shelves. The only one where I found plenty was the one in Brampton, just off the 410 and Bouvaird? (I hope I got the name right, the one that leads to the S.O.B.) At least now I have enough for more than a season, for both bikes.
    The Fizzer's up for sale http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...-600-2050-cert
    Unofficial GTAM chat! Click for the info http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum...ad.php?t=91578
    Like many active sports, shooting has the potential to cause personal injury.
    "The proper wave to an e-biker is to raise your beer." [credit:'Baggsy@GTAM]

Argi

WTC chain cleaner?

Quote Originally Posted by Argi View Post
    WTC chain cleaner?
    great stuff...google it

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

ooh lowes!
    thank you!

just got a new can of Belray today too....
    Dem man nah realize de way I do de technology way don't I identify dey oola dem idiot sound bwoy already ya nah rude bwoy

Quote Originally Posted by Akshun View Post
    ooh lowes!
    thank you!

just got a new can of Belray today too....

toss it. dupont multi lube rocks...

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Not a big fan, wears off really quick. Max 300km before it's totally gone, do 500km in between lubing and the rear sprocket is just as dirty as using Bel-Ray........only the Superclean will go 1k before you need to clean & lube.

Then again, if you don't ride much this stuff would be awesome
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Quote Originally Posted by Dilligaf0220 View Post
    Not a big fan, wears off really quick. Max 300km before it's totally gone, do 500km in between lubing and the rear sprocket is just as dirty as using Bel-Ray........only the Superclean will go 1k before you need to clean & lube.

Weird, cause my chain is still nice & slippery when I lube every 500k or so. It'll still be a bit dirty like the Belray I used to use, but when applying new stuff it cleans the chain a bit (not as good as kerosene & a brush).
    Chris
    Stoney Creek
    2008 KLR650+

+1 to Dupont chain lube... My chain never looked cleaner...
    '08 ZX6R

Quote Originally Posted by BusaBob View Post
    Just a note about the Dupont Teflon Multi-Lube stuff:

It's AWESOME!!!

Who told you about this stuff?

Lowe's in Hamilton has been out of stock for 2 weeks - I checked twice today.
    I went to a small automotive store, asked for 10 cases, a dozen 14 oz cans per case. I'll know in the morning if they'll cut me a deal or not. Stay tuned, you can have 8 cases for the trip, Bob!!
    Like Chris says - it really doesn't last as long as you'd like it to.
    I might have to top up my Scott oiler once or twice on the road, while you guys are getting greasy

Quote Originally Posted by tat2 View Post
    Weird, cause my chain is still nice & slippery when I lube every 500k or so. It'll still be a bit dirty like the Belray I used to use, but when applying new stuff it cleans the chain a bit (not as good as kerosene & a brush).
    I pulled up last week to a ride and the first thing they said was "damn lube that chain" because the clack-clack-clack was so loud. Not even 500km from the last time I lubed it.

I wipe it down with a rag to get the thick gunk off, much cleaner than kerosene. I'm thinking about using the DuPont as a cleaner, then going for a ride and putting on a real lube.

I might have to top up my Scott oiler once or twice on the road.......
    Now I know why you like black bikes
    ex-ZX-7/9
    ex-RZ500
    ex-RD400

Now I know why you like black bikes
    No fling whatsoever from Scott oil - I just can't find it anywhere......I just have a thing about black bikes - but they should be CLEAN

If anyone knows where I can find blue Scottoil - please post up.

Quote Originally Posted by banned it View Post
    No fling whatsoever from Scott oil - I just can't find it anywhere......
    Did you consider trying ATF or chainsaw oil? I've heard a lot of people use them in their oilers with good results (apparently any SAE 30 will do as well). I have almost a liter of chain oil if you want to try it out for free .

BTW, my chain has seen nothing but Dupont Teflon since new (16,000Km and counting). I haven't cleaned it even once and it was adjusted only three times. I'm still on my first can too.
    NOTE: I don't visit this board frequently and do not accept private messages. You can reach me at GTAmotorcycle[At]aca{dot.}cc

My country is the world and my religion is to do good. - Thomas Paine

jay98

I fell in love with this last year. On a 5000km trip through the virignias, NC, TN, Gap etc and back home I went through one can of the lube (bought 3 in buffalo).

I previously was using the white bel-ray stuff and in the Lowes parking lot on Buffalo it was applied. This stuff litterally took the white goop that is bel-ray off and replaced it with teflon goodness. Right away, just pulling out of the parking lot, I could feel a huge improvement.

Goes on wet, almost like wd-40, but as soon as the liquid part evaporated (about 5 minutes) you could see the teflon wax left behind. Slick to the touch, and it did not come off in my hands. ...kind of like the M&M's of chain lube.

Over the entire road trip, no dirt/grim stuck to the chain and you could always see the nice brassy colour of the links. The chain didn't need cleaning since the teflon, over time, came off on it's own (thus the daily application). It was perfectly safe on my o-ring chain and I didn't not have to adjust the tension once on the trip. Typically I have to at least do chain tensioning/adjustment once every 3-4k.

Dupont must have some sort of exclusivity with Lowes, since it's not available at any other hardware type store in Canada (Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Rona).

It's also good for other applications. I used it also on my kickstand, since it was always sticky if I used the recommended white lithium style grease. I've heard it can also cure arthritis.

For those that are skeptical, give it a try. Personally I think you should.

I use it everywhere around the house too. Sticky locks, garage door or anything that needs fixing I just spray the DuPont on it hoping it will cure all. Plus I love the coconut scent.

It's not totally gone at 300. I've done 700 km trips and the chain is still slick afterwards. It's very invisible. Feel the chain to see if it's still there. The best part about it is, is that it's NOT STICKY! That means sand and grit doesn't adhere to it and promote wear. Also, as you spray more lube on, I wipe the chain down with a rag to clean the chain. Then spray on some more to lube it. It's cheap and easy, and far less fuss and mess.

Keep using it, and you will be converted, chris!!!

'05 Blue&Silver Hayabusa

Went looking for this stuff today and couldn't find it at Lowes. They appear to have an orange can of silicon lube and then a white lithium grease. Anyone know where it's in stock?
    Has anyone trued the stuff at CT? I'm afraid to use the stuff because it doesn't have the belray guarantee business about not flinging off, and I'm sure it'll end up all over the back of the bike.
    Leave him alone Lock!
    Dyna Coils/wires, 750 ECU, Dyna Rev Limiter, Orient Express Drag 2nd Gear replacement, Rebuilt Tranny, Mikuni RS 36 Flatslides, BMC Pod Filters, GSXR 1000 '01 Titanium Header and Exhaust, Oil cooler base Mod,Busa Rear Shock, Braided SS Brake Lines &Clutch Line, Busa Clutch Master, Busa Clutch Slave, FP Clutch Detent Spring, Ape Manual CCT, GSXR K1 Fork Caps/Adjusters, Race Tech Springs,